main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph NBC's Dracula

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Oct 27, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So now, on to episode 2, which they call Dracula 102. From the 1st episode there was a female vampire in a cage being toyed with by Lady Wetherby(The blonde with the mega-cleavage). She mentions something about her maker coming to town but there is nothing to say this is Dracula. It could be, and I thought perhaps it was the girl he stalked and fed upon in the episode but I did not check to see if it was the same actress. So Dracula is either off making the occasional servant or else this is someone else's doing to be revealed at another time.

102 has another scene of Van Helsing Dracula. The entire history of Stoker's book is up for grabs as Van Helsing has to introduce himself and describe his plan. They share the same reasons for being enemies with The Order Of The Dragon.

I like the dialogue and the accents used. Van Helsing pronounces his first name as Ah-brah-hahm.

I don't know who the...what, art director? Set director? Costume director? I love the way this show looks.

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The protagonist has an issue. He went up to an innocent girl, charmed her, and then murdered her in an alley. Earlier he claims that making Mina like himself would be an abomination, yet he will go ahead a kill as needed/desired.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    The Coppola version is pretty much a rip-off of the Dan Curtis/Jack Palance version. The closest adaptation I've ever seen is the BBC version with Louis Jourdan as Dracula. And my choice for the best version is "Horror of Dracula" with Lee & Cushing.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You have to at least have some appreciation for Coppola only using stage effects for almost the entire time.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not look close enough. This is a 10 episode miniseries.

6. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    :( nooooooooooooooooooooo

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    103:

Unless I just missed it mentioned in the previous episodes it is revealed here that Van Helsing was once a part of the Order of the Dragon. His wife and child were burned by them for "disobediance" though there is not explanation as to what that entails. He does mention that Dracula is a monster that will be discarded when Van Helsing is done with him.

In classic Dracula, Harker becomes a prisoner in Dracula's castle. Here harker works for Dracula and after giving Harker advice designed to get him back together with Mina we discover, with help from Renfield, that really keeping them together just keeps Mina in Dracula's "orbit". Harker is then still a prisoner in more subtle fashion.

Dracula meets the vampire girl in the cage, prisoner of Lady Wetherby. Yet we still don't know if she was created by him in the first place. She does not refer to him as "Master".

Dracula for the 2nd time gets physical with Van Helsing to explain his displeasure. Combine that with two innocent deaths and Dracual is still adding up to be a true villain, even if he is the protagonist here.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    During my unwanted absence i was able to connect 5 minutes at a time. I typed out a bit for 104 and then lost connection before posting. Arg!

Oh well. they took a week off, 105 just aired this past Friday. Dracula and Renfield's first meeting is shown and loyalty is won right from the get go.

This past show placed what looked like a kink in the loyalties of Lady Wetherby but seeing as she does not know the truth of Dracula it may not play out with her switching sides.

Renfield was kidnapped and tortured to try and find Drac's weakness. This don't go well for the abductors to say the least.

That's 5 episodes, it's half over.

In most Dracula stories there is a love triangle between Dracula, Harker and Mina. In this there is a love pentagon between those three, Lucy and lady Wetherby.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Watching 106.

If this does not get an Emmy nomination there is something wrong with the universe.

I am not sure if I wish this to end in 4 episodes or be greenlit for another season of ten.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    107:

Drac suffers a bit of a set back, partly because of him preocupation with Mina. But he demomstartes that if he does not beat the oil barons legitimately, he'll just respond with bloody horrid murderous violence.

The show is having problems. It's ratings don't suck but they have dropped drastically and the shows star has substance abuse issues.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    108 109

The only two characters maintaining their sanity seem to be the assistants to the antagonist and protagonist. Everyone around them suffers.

All the Dracula tropes are being used but twisted. 110 is to be the last unless there is to be another season I don't know about. They don't have much time to tie everything up unless it is going to be one fast paced last hour of tv.

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I am excited for the next episode and yet sad for the freakin end :(

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There are too many emotional strings to tie up. And it says "season finale". So I have no idea what the future of this is going to be. But if this is to be it then it was a hell of a fun ride.

14. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I like this show and watch it faithfully. The acting, costumes, character development, and main storyline are good. They all meld together well. My only complaint is that you can sometimes get a little side-tracked in the subplots. I really, really hope it returns.

15. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I completely stopped watching after the third or fourth episode, but not for lack of interest. I need to catch up one of these days.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I stopped watching partway through the first episode, the day after it premiered. On the the one hand, I don't want to characterize it as lack of interest. On the other, I stopped to go make a sandwich, and I've just literally never felt any urge to return to it. So.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

I guess the finale can be summed up with "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster."

3 good guys do horrible things.

One major character dies, one is shown stabbed but we don't know for certain if they are dead.

It ends not so much with a cliffhanger but a reveal of sorts. I posted above that I was not sure there would be another season but it certainly leaves itself that way.

Great stuff, quite glad I stuck with it.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Spoiler filled rant review for when you catch up

Here's a non spoiler I can paste:

As the first episode clearly promised, this miniseries was one of the least accurate versions ofDracula I have ever seen, and yet it was massively entertaining anyways — not just for all the crazy additions to the story, but because of how it twisted the classic.

At the moment, NBC still hasn't decided if they're going to greenlight season 2. I'm not hopeful; the ratings have been so-so (it loses a lot of Grimm's audience each week), although they have improved over the last few weeks. But the show is co-produced by the U.K.'s Carnival Films, so NBC Universal doesn't have to front all the cost. And Friday night is always sort of weird, since it's such a ratings wasteland; NBC may decide it's worth giving it one more chance to see if it continues picking up.

19. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I had a slow weekend so I finally finished all 10 episodes. Although it wasn't faithful to the book -not that I was expecting that-, I thought it was pretty decent for a vampire TV show. I would like to see a second season but if that's not the case, I will have the satisfaction that this will never become another True Blood. Anyway, I loved JRM in this role, and the guy who played Jon Harker is a better actor than Keanu lol (but then again, that's setting the bar very low); he was able to convey a darker side of Harker and turn him into a relatively more complex character. Another favorite of mine was Renfield, I'm glad they didn't go the screaming lunatic way with him.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  20. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Frank Langella, y'all.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    THIS makes it look like there is a 2nd season to happen, but an earlier article this year says it's still up in the air.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Hope

This article claims that the star of the show says there will be a 2nd season. NBC has not confirmed, but if it gets a 2nd season NBC might not be the one to carry it.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002