main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NC Fan Force Fantasy Hockey

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    The hockey league is generated! Only 12 teams will be allowed so hurry up and sign up for this year of awesome hockey fun! If you don't know hockey and don't know fantasy no problem because it is soooo much fun (just ask Stacey!). The only thing I ask is that if you sign up that you really want to learn to play the game so we don't have idle teams that don't play through the whole year (we will all help in any way needed). Its also not a big time comitment since you can preset things way in advance if you aren't going to be around for a long time. Here is our league info:

Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
    League ID#: 41192
    Password: jedi

Its free, fun, and only requires your Yahoo user ID.

2. stacey113

stacey113 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    I signed up as the Kaardspun Tigers. This season I hope to win!:cool: [face_devil]

3. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Stacey - get Don to sign up :) . Then when the game gets started maybe you can help him get going with it.

4. stacey113

Jul 8, 2001
    I'll try Nat! I saw the Bengal site yesterday. Great job!

5. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Signed up! Since I'm getting squashed in my own football league, the Horsemen might as well defend their Stanley Cup! :p

6. stacey113

Jul 8, 2001
    I am coming after you Dalton!:D :cool: [face_good_luck] I want revenge after the last hockey season. I was leading the whole season and you snaked me in the playoffs.:_|

7. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Ha! It seems like you're already getting some revenge by dominating the football league!

8. stacey113

Jul 8, 2001
    All part of my master plan![face_devil] [face_devil] :cool:

9. stacey113

Jul 8, 2001
    Natalie, are we going to get one more team in the league or should I delete Don's team? I know we need an even number of teams in order for the draft to happen. If we can't get another person to join I will take Don out.

10. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    I'm going to try to get more teams. I only have a weak left so I need to get my butt in gear so we can draft. I'm hoping for a minimum of 10 teams. Time to start sending out PM's.

11. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Bodo_Janx and Axlay and anyone else on this board, are you interested?? We have lots of fun doing this and we need at least 3 more teams!

12. LlorchTHX

LlorchTHX Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Hi everybody,

I have never played any of this fantasy teams thing. So if you could give me a fast and easy tutorial I might be interested. Only thing, I don't have a lot of free time.

Thanks

LlorchTHX/Jorge

13. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Its worth trying out! All you need to do right now is sign up and we can walk you through how it works.

If you are short on time then when the season starts you will need to preset the lines for a few weeks (its easy and we'll walk you through it!). Then you can just leave it alone for that whole time and it will play according to what you tell it.

If I tell you how it works right now it will probably only be confusing. Once the teams are drafted I'll post some instructions. So sign up and check back in this thread a couple days before the hockey season starts (beginning of october).

Good luck!

14. LlorchTHX

LlorchTHX Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    OK,

Yesterday I enroll in the fantasy hockey
    My team are the "Kashyyyk Wookies".

Good luck to everybody and let's have a great season

Jorge/LlorchTHX

15. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Great to have you aboard!

16. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Sorry it took so long to change teh draft status. I didn't realize it could take up to 72 hours for the draft to start. Hopefully it will occur in the next 24 hours. I'm sorry it won't give people time to set their lines even if it does happen before tomorrow night, however most teams are playing so everyone on bench or not ought ot have a game tomorrow.

The good news is we are all moved into our new townhouse and everyone is welcome to come visit!! (Also to see the kitties). I'm so excited!! We weren't anticipating losing our internet for the week though... I had yesterday off from work so today is the first I've been online since last Friday. We'll be getting our internet/tv back on Saturday. In the meantime we will have to borrow a taped version of this weeks Lost and head over to my dads to watch teh game Wednesday.

Good luck everyone!! I'll post more about the rules once our teams are drafted. Again sorry it took so long!

17. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Welcome to the 2005-06 NHL Season of Fantasy Hockey!

Our teams are now officially drafted so you can see what kind of players you picked up. I'll do a brief overview of how to play for anyone that dosen't know.

There are 5 positions (Center, Right Wing, Left Wing, Defense, and Goalie) and there is one Util position that is a wildcard so anyone can go there. Each player can play only one position (though in previous years they could play multiple it dosne't look like taht will occur this year or not yet anyway).

Everyday there are games going on so you will want to play all your players that will be playing that night. If you look in the "Opp" column it will tell you what team the player is playing that night. Those players you want to have off the bench or "bn" in the position column. This is very important: If the player is benched none of his stats (goals, assists, etc) will count for you. You need to move all players playing off the bench by putting someone else on the bench that plays that same position. At times all your players will be playing so you have to make choices about who plays your team and who dosen't.

Lets say you don't have much time to play so you want to set your lines for a week or a month in advance. At the top you can see all the dates you can click on the next day and set your lineup for that particular day. You can go through each day like this until you feel comfortable that you won't forget. Each day it will tell you who exactly is playing and who isn't.

Lets say all your players are playing and you don't know who is better to put out. There are tabs under the dates where "stats" is currently selected. Select "rank" and this will show you the current Yahoo ranking. Put in the players with the lowest rank (ie someone that is ranked 1 is better than someone that is 248).

Other things. If you don't like your players you can get new ones by going to "Players" and getting whoever is left (jsut remember i fyou get someone you have to drop someone).
    If there is a little red "NA" next to a name it means they aren't playing. You might want to replace them or find out why. In my case I have someone that has a leftover suspension for 3 more games so I will keep him because he will be back eventually. If there is a little red "IR" it means they are on Injured Reserve and could be out for a long time. You can place them on your own IR and get a new player until your injured player comes back.

Most of these are the finer details. Just get your lines in order and you'll be all set.

18. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    LlorchTHX I'm going to help you through to start out. First off your guy Nagy is injured. If you click the pull-down box you can place him into an "IR" slot. He's a left-winger so go to "Players" and get a new player to replace him (the best ranked will appear first). Since you already have plenty of Left Wingers I would recommend getting a Defensemen. Its always good to have a spare defensemen on your team, their stats aren't as good but you can put them out more often with 4 slots. When you go to "Players" link change the position filter from "All Forwards/Defensemen" to "D". The first guy that comes up is Foote. I've already got him on waivers so you might go for Mara and click Add.

Now your team is healthy. You've got some great goalies too.

Ok now that that stuff is out of the way here is what you will do regularly:
    Wednesday you have everyone playing. Put Sedin on LW since you have an empty spot from where Nagy was injured. Other than that your team is set for tonight.

Thursday (click teh Thur Oct 6 button): Robitaille is on the bench but he is playing so put him as LW and move LeClaire to the Bench. Again Util is a wildcard so anyone can go there if tehy are playing.

Friday: J. Nieuwendyk is playing and he's a center to select C and put Sakic on the bench since he's not playing that night.

Ok so you can keep going for a month or whenever ahead and preset all of your lines. I hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask questions.

19. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Andrew you need to drop one of your centers and get a goalie. I'd also recommend dropping another center in favor of a Defensemen but I'm sharing my personal strategy and not everyone would do that.

20. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    There are some new rules this year. First is the "Can't Cut List". This basically is a list of what Yahoo believes are the best players. This prevents people from having multiple teams in one league and dumping all of their good players into just one team.

Next is the waivers. When you drop someone from a team or about to add someone there are 2 days where others can also request the same person. The person that wins out has the highest waiver priority which is teh opposite of that of teh draft. Stacey and Jorge had first pick in the draft so they have the lowest waiver priority during the year. Chris and I have the best waiver priority since we were last to pick in teh draft.

21. Jedi_Natalie

May 20, 2002
    Ok now that people have been playing you can see how your team is doing. On the right side of the league page is a matchup section letting you know how you are winning/losing. If you click "Match Up" it will tell you the stats you are winning in adn what players got you what. At the end of the week whoever is winning gets a win for the week and you go on to play a new team next week.

Make sure to edit lineups!

Oh and sorry guys it dosen't look like we have an IR position. If someone goes on IR you might have to drop them. That used to be a Yahoo default but I guess not anymore.

22. LlorchTHX

LlorchTHX Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks Nat....

A very good explanation of things.... bad thing only until today I remembered (and had the time) to check into this

Anyway... I think I have my lineups ready for at least one week... I'm sticking with Nagy, he is supposed to be ready to play tomorrow

OK, so good look and thanks again

UUUhhhh!! (wookie charge shout)

Jorge

23. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    I'm all set lock and load!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.