Arena NCAA conference realignment?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Lowbacca_1977 Jedi Master

star 6
    The Mountain West is becoming a VERY neat conference for football, imo.

And there's now reports that invitations are en route to Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State, with Texas A&M considering. Although, I like the idea I saw suggested of taking Kansas instead of Texas A&M
  2. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I like the title game idea, but I wish there was a way to do it without divisions. Necessary evil, I guess.
  3. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus and July Tiemaster

star 8
    I don't get what is so wrong with divisions, especially in a 12-team league. You play five conference games against the teams geographically closest to you (for Ohio State, probably Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, and Purdue), one team every year as a natural rival (for Ohio State, probably Illinois for the Illi-buck trophy, though with the current Big 1TEN2, I'd want Nebraska), and then you rotate through the other five teams. Year one, Ohio State hosts Wisconsin and travels to Iowa. Year two, Ohio State hosts Iowa and travels to Northwestern. Year three, host Northwestern, travel to Nebraska. Year four, host Nebraska, travel to Minnesota. Year five, host Minnesota, travel to Iowa. year six is the same as year one, and we repeat.

It's not much different than now, except that to truly be conference champion, you'd have to beat the best team in the Conference at least once. Right now in the Big 1TEN2, Minnesota could go 8-0 and not play Ohio State, and Ohio State could also go 8-0, and they'd simply be co-champs. With divisions, and a title game, they'd play at Lucas Oil Stadium or Soldier Field to settle the Conference Title.

And, on a slightly different note here, I heard someone local on radio talking about a hidden effect of realignment. Suppose the Big XII dissolves and Kansas is left without a home or has to go to the Mountain West. And, suppose Tom Izzo takes the Cavs job. If you're Bill Self, and Michigan State calls, would you rather go to the Big 1TEN6 and coach a VERY good program there, or be stuck in the Mountain West with Kansas, where you have the schools tradition, but not much else going for you?
  4. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    For the Big 10+2, I suppose divisions really wouldn't change that much. All the teams don't play each other now as it is. As long as UM-OSU continues yearly, it'd work. Hopefully they do a good job setting up divisions so we don't end up with one of the problems the Big XII has had in the past few seasons - the difference in quality between the two divisions.
  5. DT421 Jedi Master

star 5
    And now we have CEO's that are trying to buy colleges into the BCS.

Fred Smith, CEO of FedEx, is trying to buy Memphis into any BCS conference for $10 Million annually. - ARTICLE

This is where I'm beginning to get completely disenchanted with this whole thing now.
  6. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus and July Tiemaster

star 8
    When it's ALL about money, why not have money buy your way in?

All-in-all, though, if the Big East trades Syracuse, Rutgers, and Notre Dame for Memphis, Kansas, and Kansas State, I'd say that's a pretty good outcome, all things considered.

I'm also really starting to believe that Texas A&M will go to the SEC, and Texas-Texas A&M will be a rivalry game the week before Conference Title games, but a non-conference game, just like Florida-Florida State, Clemson-South Carolina, and Georgia-Georgia Tech. Seems natural for SEC schools. The biggest question, to me, is who the SEC brings in with them. 13 schools makes absolutely no sense for a conference. None of the three rivals I mentioned would be a good add, nor would Miami, and all for the same reason. Virginia Tech might make a lot of sense, and Missouri could be a possibility. West Virginia could be a long shot, especially as a 15th- or 16th-team.
  7. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    So it looks like the rumor now is that the rest of the Big XII is staying. This means no title game for the Big XII anymore and I think it makes the Big 10 (now 12) have to have a title game unless the website I was reading was wrong about the rules.

8. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The Big 10 doesn't have to have a conference championship game, they just have the option from what I understand. I'd be surprised if they didn't have on, though.
  9. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Most of the reason the Big 10(Plus) wanted to add at least one team was so they could have a championship game. Or rather, they wanted more money, championship game = lots of money, so they wanted a championship game.

So I would be shocked if they didn't add a championship game.

The Big XII would no longer be able to have a championship game unless they added teams to replace the ones they're losing.
  10. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, ESPN.com is reporting that Utah was invited to join the PAC-10 and they'll accept. That would give us a PAC-12 with (presumably) a championship game. If the Utes were to accept the invitation, I bet the BCS anti-trust suit by the state would go away really quickly.
  11. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It sounds like the Big (ex-)XII will not look to add any replacement teams for Nebraska and Colorado.

If the Big 10/12 don't change names (I'm not talking about swapping, just changing), there will be some good lols at the names :p
  12. RX_Sith C&G Game Host and SFTC Winner

Game Host
    star 5
    They will remain the Big 12 because with all the money that Texas and Oklahoma are getting you might as well count them twice.
  13. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And there's no way the Big 10+2 would change it's name...it's been that way forever. They'll just make a 12 in the logo, instead of the 11.
  14. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus and July Tiemaster

star 8
    I can't imagine the Big XII will stay with ten teams for too long. Of course, I've been wrong about just about everything the entire way through this, minus Nebraska going to the Big 10.
  15. DT421 Jedi Master

star 5
    Looks like Utah in the PAC, making it a 12 team league.
  16. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I think the MWC has taken over as the center of conference changes now :p
  17. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    TCU accepts offer from Big East

[face_thinking] Very interesting. It seems like a legit article from Fanhouse. ESPN.com has an article about it, so it's probably true. TCU might have an easier time getting to a BCS bowl in the MWC, but they'd probably never get to the championship game unless they joined an AQ conference.
  18. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Without having read the article, what's going to happen to TCU basketball wise? Stay in the MWC or does the Big East now have 17 teams in basketball?

:oops:
  19. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    All the TCU teams will be competing in the Big East, if they sponsor it.
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    *waits for Big East basketball to split into two separate conferences*

*not divisions. Conferences*
  21. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus and July Tiemaster

star 8
    I started seeing the TCU to the Big East rumors a few weeks ago, when the Big East formally announced they would add two teams to get to ten. It makes sense for both parties, really.

The Big East adds a team that has ended the year in the top-five the last two years. They also get a small part of the Dallas-Fort Worth TV Market and Texas Recruiting. TCU gets a more direct path to a BCS game every year, though with the current Big East, I don't think their chances for a BCS Title Game slot improve at all. The Big East champ, even undefeated, is going to rank behind an undefeated SEC, Big Ten, Big XII, Pac-Ten, or ACC Champ.

The Big Loser here is Boise State. They move to the MWC to get better competition and help them advance towards AQ status, and then Utah, BYU, and TCU leave the conference. Now, they're in a MWC that (eventually) will boast as its best teams: Boise, Nevada, Air Force, Hawaii.

Wow, big upgrade, Boise. That's so much better than the WAC you're leaving.

Of course, by connection, the MWC is a big loser as well. Losing those three schools is pretty much a death knell to getting AQ status.
  22. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh] Yeah, split it into the full membership conference and the no-football conference, and we'd be good to go. :p
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Inty's right about the effects football-wise, though. TCU gets an easier path to a BCS game, in the sense that one loss won't knock them out automatically (or near enough) now... but it will be tougher for them to get to the title game, in all likelihood.

That's probably a pretty good split, McClain :p
  24. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus and July Tiemaster

star 8
    Outside of football, though, this makes no sense. I'm not sure the Rutgers Women's Volleyball team needs to travel to TCU for a match. :p Nor am I sure that is a good thing financially.

As to basketball, the probably solution is a jettison of at least one non-football member. I still think prize #1 for the Big East is to get to 12 teams, and promoting Villanova to 1-A ball gets them to ten with the TCU expansion. If they could somehow convince Notre Dame to become a football member, they'd be at 11 with a need to only kick out one team so far. The best choice for the 12th team, IMO, would be Memphis, which would mean kicking out two non-football teams.

Depaul and St. Johns seem like logical, if heartless, choices.
  25. Darth McClain Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I can't see the Big East kicking out one of it's founding members in St. John's. Sure, they've not been very good recently, but really see that move happening. But I really don't know who else they'd kick out, besides DePaul if they wanted to go that route. Providence, maybe? Probably not Marquette.