main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA conference realignment?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was where I got stuck. I had DePaul, and I couldn't think of any other real good candidate to kick out.

If they stay at ten, and add Villanova, they can get away with kicking out DePaul and staying at 16 for Basketball, so finding a second scape-goat could be a bit down the road.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd put a lot more money on Villanova joining the Big East as a football member than Notre Dame doing it.

Then again, maybe that's your answer - Notre Dame leaves? The Big East might demand that it join as a football member too, but Notre Dame says no way, and joins another conference? Then again, I really don't know where Notre Dame basketball would go - they've been pretty good recently, and would want to go to a top tier basketball conference. There's no way that they'd join the Big 10 as basketball only/non-football members. So they're probably staying with the Big East.

Eventually, we'll come up with a good solution to this, Inty. :p

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    If the Big East kicks out DePaul, I'm going to be laughing at Oliver Purnell. As if his move wasn't already weird enough :p

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing the Big East kick anybody out. But who knows what'll happen at this point.

4. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    If they did, they'd still have a ton of teams in basketball. :p

5. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    lol, yeah. I was listening to the radio the other day, and one of the guys said that the big east should add M.I.T. to their program, because they were going to need them to figure out the game schedules. :p

6. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh]

That's a great idea :)

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
  8. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Why would not join to MW in the other sports as well? The Big West is a dreadful league for basketball, filled with California schools.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Probably for travel reasons. Flying to/from California when you are Hawaii is a lot cheaper than Idaho, Nevada, Utah, etc.

10. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, that's probably the main issue for them.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Still annoying in football, but understandable.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The more I think about TCU to the Big East, the more I think it's going to end up like Louisville. They came in with a high ranking, top recruits, and a system that worked, and won a Big East Title and an Orange Bowl early on, and along with Rutgers and West Virginia, helped provide the Big East some big moments on National TV. But, as soon as Bobby Petrino left, Louisville went down ... hard and fast. That one conference title remains their only one in the Big East. I can't help but think the same thing is in store when/if Gary Patterson leaves.

It also continues to leave me thinking "what if" along the lines of a conference still featuring Rodriguez (in a winnable situation) and Petrino, and adding Patterson.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think that there's a good shot that TCU would end up like Louisville if Patterson leaves. Considering how long TCU tends to stay in conferences, though, I don't know whether that'll happen in the Big East or not. :p

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pitt, Syracuse apply for ACC membership, and a decision is expected soon, perhaps as early as Sunday.

From a basketball perspective, that's two more marquee teams to go along with Duke and UNC. From a football standpoint, looks to be a proactive approach to keeping Florida State. If they want to get to 16, continuing to poach the Big East makes the most sense. West Virginia is an obvious candidate to try to poach. Not sure about the 16th. Maybe Cinci?

And then ... what does this do to the Big East? Does this give the Big 12 the easy out of replacing A&M with TCU? Does this give the Big Ten the opening to try to woo Rutgers and UConn again?

15. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    I think it actually opens up the possiblity that with ACC going to 14, PAC-12 now accepts OU,OSU,UT, and Tech after the meetings in Norman and Austin on Monday, then the remnants of the Big 12 go between Big10 and Big East. Basketball was always more important to the Big East, so at the very least the Kansas schools will go there. As a result of the superconference push, ND will have no choice but to go all-in with the either the Big10 or Big East.

Apparently there is a story going around the Fl St may be looking at changing conferences, too.

When the dust settles, I expect to see 5 superconferences in 2013, and a playoff senario for college football.

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Like I said in the other thread. I love this for Football. The Big East line up was garbage. I'm not sold for basketball. Pitt recruits a ton in New York. Where does that leave them now?

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The problem is, Strife, that football contracts dwarf basketball contracts. Who/what is the Big East going to use to get a good football contract that will pay its members well? This move puts the Big East in the same precarious position as the Big 12, and I expect both to be picked apart by larger conferences with scraps left over.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Rox, I've seen some stories indicating that the new look ACC would consider playing some tournaments in Madison Square Garden. If they don't, that could really hurt both Pitt and Syracuse, recruiting wise. You'd think the ACC would want to accommodate those fears to a degree, since they just brought those teams in.

I've also seen stories that predict Dixon will be gone from Pitt soon because they moved to the ACC. Guess we'll see what happens.

Hopefully this means that I'll get to root for UNC in person at the Pete in the next two or three years, though. :D

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Where have you read the stuff about Dixon. I haven't seen any mention of that.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That's the speculation from the Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy. He is very adamantly opposed to the move.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-09-17/move-to-acc-could-destroy-pitt-basketball

21. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    That guys an idiot. I feel dumber for reading that article. I do agree that not playing in New York will hurt some but Pitts biggest recruits aren't even from this country. I don't think Dixon will go elsewhere and I am sure he had to give his blessing to the move for it to happen.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Put me in the camp of "playing Duke and UNC every year and building a stronger rivalry with Syracuse" will not be a detriment to Pitt and their ability to recruit.

23. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Agreed

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It won't be a detriment, but it probably won't mean the same thing to kids from NY, NY, and Philly. They'll probably need to change some of their recruiting techniques. Might need to change their style of play, too.

I also ran across a new rumor of Texas, Tech, Oklahoma, and OK State to the Pac-12. Wonder if it'll pan out this time.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Just saw that UConn is scrambling to become the next team to leave the Big East for the ACC.

And, I don't buy Texas to the Pac-12. I just don't. I'll believe it when it's official.