Arena NCAA conference realignment?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue...Jedi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    All this conference jumping stuff is getting way out of control. At what point does someone finally step in and figure out what is in the best interest of all schools involved. Traveling expenses don't play a part in conference play anymore?

10,000th post ZOMG (lol it only took 11 years) [face_dancing]
  2. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    Missouri looks poised to apply for SEC membership.

I, for one, look forward to the day an SEC has the following start to a football season:

LSU
    Auburn
    Missouri

Or, for those of you who need that explained, they'd be playing the Tigers, the Tigers, and ... the Tigers.
  3. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    It'd be even crazier if South Carolina closed the SEC season with that trio, and then followed it up with the usual rivalry game against Clemson.
  4. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    Throw in Memphis for one of the annual cupcakes.
  5. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    So ... let's see ...

The Big East might join the MWC and C-USA for a football super conference (of Mediocrity)?

A four-division league with a playoff-game for the AQ BCS berth? And who thinks this is a good idea?

Looking at it this year, the four division champs would most likely be: Boise State, Air Force, Southern Miss and ... Navy? And who is dying to see Boise State play Southern Miss for a trip to the Fiesta Bowl? Not the folks in charge of marketing for the Fiesta Bowl, that's for sure.
  6. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    West Virginia headed to the Big 12 according to Sportcenter.
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The radio made it sound like that'd only happen if Mizzou left the Big 12. WVU's coach seemed to be somewhat in favor of it during a soundbite, but he also mentioned that he hadn't been focusing on conference realignment.
  8. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Mizzou is all but out anyways, but they are still dreaming of an invite from the Big Ten, which will never come. Even if they go to the SEC they'll still be talking about skipping out once the B1G comes calling... :p
  9. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
  10. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  11. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Conferences really need to put their foot down with Notre Dame. All or nothing. I'd love to see independents have no chance at bowl games. (Can you tell I hate Notre Dame?)
  12. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    *sigh* USA Today now reporting that due to political pressure, the Big 12 backing off West Virginia, now 50/50 that it's WVA or LOUISVILLE?

Why not just take both? Then if you get ND that gets you back to 12.
  13. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It's WVU.

Big 12's waiting on Mizzou and the SEC to get their details figured out before doing anything else.
  14. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'd like to lol @ the SEC's website for prematurely announcing the addition of Missouri :oops:
  15. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  16. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Took 'em long enough. Depending on when WVU could join, the Big 12 could be down to 9.
  17. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I hope Missouri enjoys having Conference/Division games against Auburn, Alabama, and LSU instead of Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State from now on. I just don't see them as the right "cultural" fit for the SEC.

The Big East moves have me excited though. I can't wait to drive an hour south to the Springs next year for the heated Big East division game of Air Force vs. Cincinnati.
  18. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    The ticker on ESPN is saying that the Big East is adding Boise St, San Diego St, SMU, UCF and Houston.

I'm thinking they need to rename the conference if this is true.

EDIT: Boise and San Diego will be football only.
  19. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Regardless of what happens with this, the "Big East" needs to change its name.

Is this enough for the Big East to keep their AQ status?

I'd probably lean towards no. For me, Boise doesn't make up enough strength on its own to justify keeping it. I won't be surprised in the least if they do keep it, though.
  20. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Now they have thrown Navy's name into it. Any chance Conference USA would give their name up? :p
  21. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    14 team conferences make for clunky scheduling. I guess Missouri will join the East and Texas A&M the west. That makes for 6 division games a year. Will they up the number of conference games to 9? Will they keep the permanent rivals?
  22. tjace Force Ghost

star 4
    I think they both go to the west and Auburn goes to the east. There's no way they get rid of permanent rival games like the Iron Bowl, but other lesser rivalry games might fall by the wayside. It'll be interesting to see how many conference games they do end up scheduling, as that will mean that they won't be able to schedule cupcakes 4 times a year or have 8 home games.
  23. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I've been told that the SEC is going to 9 conference games, and I think Missouri is going to be in the East, though originally I'd been hearing the Auburn-to-the-East rumors.
  24. DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What I've seen most often is either Mizz to SEC East or Auburn there, and 9 conference games with the current non-conference game in week 12 becoming a conference one.
  25. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    9 conference games seems to be one of the net results of expansion. The Pac-12 is there, and the Big 10 is following suit. And, unfortunately, good non-conference games are being axed. Ohio State already cancelled their series with Tennessee.

Oh, and wow - Big East - really?