main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena NCAA Considering $2,000 Payments to Student Athletes

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by DT421, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    SOURCE

Article:

WASHINGTON -- NCAA President Mark Emmert says he supports a proposal to allow conferences to increase grants to student athletes by $2,000, "to more closely approach" the full cost of attending college, beyond the athletic scholarships athletes receive for tuition, fees, room, board and books.

Emmert told the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics on Monday that the proposal will be finalized this week and he'll ask the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to support it. He noted that student athletes have limited opportunities to work outside the classroom and playing fields, and that the current model of athletic scholarship hasn't changed for 40 years.

Emmert says he'll also ask the board to allow colleges and universities to provide multiyear grants, instead of year-to-year scholarships.

"This week, I'll be asking the board to support a proposal to allow conferences - not mandate anyone, but allow conferences, not individual institutions - to increase the value of an athletic grant in aid to more closely approach the full cost of attendance," Emmert said.

"We are going to create a model that would allow - probably ... up to $2,000 in addition to" tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies.

----------

I personally think that if this happens, the NCAA is opening Pandora's Box. And I also think this is a joke too. Are we seriously supposed to believe that a top rated QB in the entire nation is only going to get as much money as a third-string lineman on that same team? No way. These kids are still going to get their money from boosters and the like, and it isn't going to be just $2000.

Also, are kids on the golf team, the band, cheerleaders, etc, going to get $2000 also? Can't wait to see how this distribution is going to be broken down.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'm not quite sure why this even needs to occur. The student-athletes are already on a higher pedestal than the rest of the students on campus who actually have to pay their way through school . . .

3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    no just no

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I still like Chris Spielman's solution:

Pay the players in the form of a loan, maxed out at a certain, reasonable amount. Then, if the kid graduates, forgive the loan. If he doesn't it becomes due in installment payments 6 months after he drops out.

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Giving them money like that in the first place still seems fundamentally wrong, even if they would have to pay it back if they don't graduate.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And making money off of them, while at the same time enabling them to waste the education you are giving them in return also seems fundamentally wrong.

7. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I agree that that is fundamentally wrong also, but who cares if the university is making money off of the athlete considering that the athlete is just using the university? And we're really only referring to football and basketball players who are coming in and treating the university like a farm team stepping-stone anyway, with no intention of staying a full four years, much less graduating. Both parties involved are getting exactly what they want from one another and the nature of it all is what's really wrong.

College football and basketball are a payroll/salary away from being a professional farm system for the NBA and NFL. This $2000 payment is a step in that direction.

College athletics are fast becoming a joke.

8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Agreed. The system is broken because neither the athletes nor the school are really looking out for each other. As long as a player participates for two-three seasons and then leaves, the school, having made their money, will go out and replace them with another talented player.

9. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    The NCAA passed it today.

Article

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I guess I can understand how some of you might be upset about this, but you have to understand a few things. Scholarships cover room, and tuition. They don't provide for the bare necessities like clothing, food(in a lot of cases, particularly if it isn't a full scholarship), books, school laptops, and basically anything that the average student that has mommy and daddy pay their way take for granted.

So, what's your solution? Get a job, right? You have any idea how little time athletes have between their time in classes, studying, practices, on the field, and weekly travel time to other campuses for games? That really leaves them with exactly no time for something extra like a job, if they plan on actually sleeping.

That's why I don't have any issue personally with more financial incentives to enure the quality of their lives, while earning and receiving the best education possible, while representing their school on a national level. Especially as much financial gain as these schools make off of these kids.

11. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I can't get into any major college sport in large part because there is a massive amount of money being made off people who themselves cannot make any money. The smaller college sports are one thing (track, for instance), but when it comes to football, the money and hype are astronomical. Football athletes in the best programs (most of whom will never go on to successful NFL careers, but who still play integral roles on a college level) are part of something close to indentured servitude.

It's grossly unacceptable, and I just can't get into something that is too often amateur in name only.

12. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Getting a free college education is getting something.

A university may get a lot of money from research from some other part of the school in the educational vien, but the students who work on that research don't get paid for it.

13. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    A university may get a lot of money from research from some other part of the school in the educational vien, but the students who work on that research don't get paid for it.

It's not the same as millions upon millions of dollars in direct income, to say nothing of all the free advertising.

Getting a free college education is getting something.

It's not enough. Universities are making millions off their major sport athletes (read: football). A free college education doesn't come close to breaking even for the athletes who contribute the most.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Not for nothing, but when it comes to research done by students, we totally got paid. (exception, I tended to opt to get units for it, but pay was the other option)

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What ASG said. Part of the reason we have so many violations is because so many college athletes, while their tuition and room may be paid for, cannot afford to pay for all those other costs, and especially struggle when unexpected expenses pop up (so providing transportation home for an athlete who had a family member pass away is a commonly seen violation). And because of their insane schedules, they really don't have the opportunity to get a job on the side, like other students can.

Also, I like the idea Inty mentioned up there, making it a forgivable loan based upon graduation.

16. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Athletes get a fair bit of clothing and food. Their 'mommy and daddy'(its always funny to see that used as a derogatory) may be paying for the extra things as well. Let's not make it out that every athlete is living like a homeless person when not practicing. The majority are living better than the average student it's not the other way around. At my school they get access to a academic building full of tutors who sometimes literally do the workfor them.

Of course I am talking about the athletes who get full scholarships. Which for men's sports is usually only for football and basketball. The mens sports baseball,tennis,soccer,track all have few scholarships so the athletes there are not getting full scholarships. Of course they aren't the ones bringing money to the school so the common attitude is to forgot about them. Do they deserve any money? It's likely those athletes will be left out of any payment program.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Some have parents who can pay for stuff, yes, but that doesn't mean we should ignore those who come from very poor backgrounds and really struggle, and there are plenty of those. Heck, these kind of payments could be made need-based, I'd be ok with that.