main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Near Perfect Blade Material???

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Laughing_Cheese, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    How would you know? You said you've never used carbon fiber, didn't you? Every source I've heard from, carbon fiber doesn't flex at all.

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Again:

1) You don't know how much carbon fiber flexes, since you've never worked with it. This invalidates YOUR argument, which is based not on fact but on your own arbitrarily established conclusion.
    2) Feel free to post a video showing bamboo in action.

M. Scott

3. LSFightChoreographer

LSFightChoreographer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Bamboo is a type of wood. Speaking from experiance, (neo, use this line more often)wood bends under pressure.

4. jfx

jfx Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2006
    A friend of mine has a carbon fiber rod and it barely bends. *Takes cover before neo comes back... [face_beatup] *

5. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    isn't carbon fibre what was used in episode 3 (that is when they weren't switching to bamboo for the fast stuff)? the props in the nick gillard video on the trilogy bonus disc? those things were bendy as hell. this bamboo doesn't bend at all.

and to post a video i would require a camera and at least 2 other people. i don't even have a second prop.

and lsfc, bamboo is grass, not wood.

6. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    PPOR that they used bamboo during shooting of Episode III, please.

I genuinely don't remember that video, and I certainly didn't go frame by frame on it. It may be that the stuff used in that video was not carbon fiber. Having fought with carbon fiber myself, I know that it doesn't bend very much on camera at all.

To the naked eye. But as you say:

So not only do you have no actual idea how much bamboo bends on film/video, you haven't even fought another person with it. You genuinely have no experience to speak from as to its actual use as a film-worthy fighting blade material.

Your stance is conjectural, not factual.

M. Scott

7. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    I would like to point out that I've used carbon fiber quite a lot and in my experience not only does it not bend unless you apply extremely strong constant force, which does not happen in the course of dueling to anywhere near the pressure you would need to bend it, but carbon fiber has also demonstrated a very unique attribute that I have not seen in any other blade material ever: It will not flex on camera, not even for one frame. It will literally bounce all together in a rigid straight shape as opposed to bending or flexing on the moment of impact. It really amazes me, and makes for a much easier roto job.

Furthermore, I have never had a carbon fiber blade become bent from use. Unlike aluminum, for instance, which will eventually be beaten into a more maliable material that can't maintain it's straight shape, carbon fiber stays perfectly straight all the way till the end, at which point a very defined structural break occurs fairly slowly and the end falls off. Much more desirable than wood, for instance, which in my experience splinters and has the possibility of shattering.

8. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Ryan, did Nick mention using bamboo on ROTS when he came by LucasArts?

M. Scott

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    That's gonna be a negatory.

The stunt sabers were pretty mass-produced using carbon fiber blades, often wrapped in a colored rubber-ish plastic or tape, mounted permanently to the hilt (either imbedded into the resin, or "cemented" into the plastic), leaving no option to plug in any other material. Each unit was basically regarded as disposeable. I spoke with Nick in detail about it and even dissasembled an Obi-Wan stunt saber with him to examine it. There was never any mention of any other versions of the stunt sabers using anything else, so I'd be very interested in seing your source on that, Neo.

10. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    They might, extreme emphasis on might, have used bamboo for some sort of training stuff, or the remote possibility of a runthrough of some sections of the fights with it. But I certainly can't remember anything that implied they used bamboo in the actual film.

11. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i heard it mentioned in another discussion that they used bamboo for some faster shots.

it's amazing how fast your prejudice rears it's ugly head, dorkman. i never said i'd never fought anyone with it. you'll recall i said earlier:

"...i broke my blade while filming once (after having pacticed with it for months previous) and was still able to film the rest of the fight with it, with no problems. and i even practiced with it for months after that."

i made a failed attempt at filming a fight i had choreographed, and now the person i practiced with has moved away. and the camera was borrowed.

12. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    But we're to understand that you also don't have a single frame of footage to show from it, correct? Therefore conveniently no evidence to support your claim. Whereas Ryan and I could post some carbon fiber footage to back up our claims, if you'd like. I'd even consider buying one of those ten packs of bamboo and filming a test with them, too, just to take a look.

But your stance earlier in the thread was that you were arguing fact and not opinion, and the fact remains that you have no place making claims about bamboo being better than carbon fiber when you have never used carbon fiber and thus have no basis for comparison. You are not speaking from fact, merely (to use your word) prejudice that what you're using is the best because it's what you're using.

I'm sorry that you can't win an argument without either trying to drag in past disagreements or making outright fabrications to support your stance, but you've undermined even what might have been considered factual about your argument by filling it with stuff you just plain made up. The most intelligent thing you could do at this point is walk away, because you'll only dig yourself deeper.

M. Scott

13. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    and there's the elitism, like clockwork.

14. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    EDIT: Oh, forget it. Not worth my time.

M. Scott

15. Master-Indy

Master-Indy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    I give this thread another 2 days, then it'll be closed. Guys, could you please stay on topic and stop complaining about each other?!

16. LSFightChoreographer

LSFightChoreographer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    if we stop arguing, will ya keep it open?

It's a good thread for n00bs who don't know how to build a stuntsaber to ask questions and get ligit answers.

I know I've been part of the argument sometimes, but it's getting kinda old doncha' think?

If any of you want to see raw carbon fiber footage, look on the Episode 3 disk 2 at the making the fights or stunts section.

you guys can judge accordingly, but do it with IM or Private Messages or something.

Basicly, DON'T SPAM THE (censored)ing THREAD!!!

17. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    what did they use for episode 2? that stuff seemed to bend under it's own weight.

18. Master-Indy

Master-Indy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    Sorry, I don't have the power to close a thread or let it stay open, I am just a member like you are. I think this thread is a good idea for people who want to do lightsaber fights. But since every thread a special guy is posting in is closed, I think we should just discuss about blade materials and not about "Dude, why are you always blaming me" or "You are so wrong with this".

And now let's discuss about blades!

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "you guys seem to view "opinion" as "any suggestion or idea that does not conform copletely to the currently accepted standard, and therefore to be ignored or ridiculed, even, or especially, if it's 100% factually right""

Since you really haven't specifically stated what the "current standard" is, I will assume you mean the films. As such, you, yourself, stated:

"not in episodes 1-3. they adjusted the style to show the weapon is weightless, and were hindered only by their props."

As such, the films contradict themselves. So much for the "standard".

"Would it be crazy to suggest that Lucas' opinions are also not always optimal, or would disputing the deity of George Lucas be considered heresy?"

Not at all, but 1) I'm assuming this is the standard Neo is basing his opinion on, and 2) even if we accept that Lucas' opinion isn't optimal, it still doesn't elevate Neo's opinion. In fact, it would worsens his.

"as bamboo does not flex even as much as carbon fibre, your argument is invalid."

To borrow what you've said before: "and you won't even consider that this is assumption talking and not "experience".

"isn't carbon fibre what was used in episode 3 (that is when they weren't switching to bamboo for the fast stuff)? the props in the nick gillard video on the trilogy bonus disc? those things were bendy as hell. this bamboo doesn't bend at all."

If that's what Nick used, then wouldn't that make carbon fibre the "current standard"?

Besides, what the hell does it matter if the material bends, since it's going to be rotoscoped out anyways? As such, this entire "bendable to the naked eye" discussion is completely rendered mute in terms of the final product.

"i heard it mentioned in another discussion that they used bamboo for some faster shots."

And by the same reasoning that you expect us to take your word as fact, you apparently took their word as fact? Such standards. Do you even know if "they" were speaking from "experience" or "assumption"? I'm guessing no, or at least, the factual nature needn't be explored if their opinion is in line with yours.

"and there's the elitism, like clockwork."

LOL

20. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    We're dropping this argument, MeBeJedi. Please and thank you.

M. Scott

21. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    We're dropping this argument.

22. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Moving on.

23. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Moving on and getting back on topic. The previous argument is over. Anyone who responds to it, addresses it, or tries to start it back up, will result in a lock on this thread, and a ban for the offending party or parties.

If you don't have anything to say on the topic of this thread, then stop posting in it and let it die away.

M. Scott

24. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    I'm looking into buying 2 ( maybe more?) CF blades from Random sabers, and see how I like them.

25. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm still curious as to the viability of delrin for blades.

The piece of it that I have, which is far too large to use for a lightsaber, is still intact and remains suitable for generally beating on things, despite having now spent close to a decade in all weather conditions and having cracks all over it. I'm pretty sure that one of these days I'm going to hit something with it and it's going to break into a million pieces.

It seems to absorb shock pretty well. However, the piece I have does flex somewhat and given that I would want smaller diameters of it for lightsaber blades I'm afraid it might bow too much to actually be of use. Although if in smaller diameters it still demonstrated its tendencies toward being nearly indestructible that might be a balancing factor.

I'm not entirely certain about weight. My piece of it isn't ridiculously heavy for its size, and I think in smaller diameters it wouldn't be any heavier than aluminum tubes, possibly lighter.

Other than the possibility of being nearly as indestructible as carbon fiber, the main attraction is that it's relatively cheap.

One of these days I will actually get around to experimenting with some. Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.