main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Near Perfect Blade Material???

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Laughing_Cheese, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    In that case, I still don't understand why you insist on arguing about things you have no experience with. If you've never worked with it, why assert that it's too heavy?

I would say, as a bit of advice, that you would find people reacting to your arguments less strongly/negatively if you acknowledge up-front that they are based on (not necessarily illogical) assumptions and not firsthand experience.

Well, for one, I was talking about the decision on whether or not the cost of carbon fiber was "worth it".

On the other hand, working with a heavy blade is also a personal preference. There are sources in Star Wars (I can't remember where, I think they were mostly early on, novelizations and whatnot) that assert that the lightsaber blade has mass and weight.

At any rate, being a fictional weapon, it's up to interpretation and preference. I happen to like a lightweight blade. Some people prefer to think of the blade as having mass and being heavy.

I think it's rather absurd to assert "how it should be" about something that doesn't exist. There's certainly a way you feel it should be portrayed, but that's not the only way to do it.

For the record, I thought the fighting in Broken Allegiance was some of the worst I've ever seen in fan films. But that doesn't mean they were "wrong" (objective). Just bad (subjective). For whatever reason, some people actually liked the fights.

Yes, a little bit. As in noticeably lighter but I don't have a scale that can measure something that light.

Well then, bamboo and carbon fiber have approximately the same likelihood of breakage over time.

But also according to your own posts:

1) In those two years you haven't used them the entire time against an actual opponent.
    2) You have, to use your own words, "feeble arms". I don't know how exaggerated this is on your part, but perhaps one factor in how well the bamboo has stood up for you personally is that you possibly don't swing it very fast or hit it very hard.

Not that either Ryan nor I are extremely strong, but we fight pretty strenuously with the carbon fiber on a fairly regular basis, and it's taken a beating. For us, there's no contest with anything else.

Ryan's method of glows has nothing to do with poor rotoscoping. That's all on the artist, not the method.

As for DMP's post...I hate RandomSabers, I think they're jerks. But there's

2. LSFightChoreographer

LSFightChoreographer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Awsome fight, Ryan!

I don't know why you guys stop filming fights at all! The acting on the part of the kid could use some brushing up, but he's just a kid, and I'm an actor, so I guess I'll cut him some slack. I love your choreography!

I'm looking into making sabers and, from what I've heard, I'll be using Carbon Fiber. Also, from what I heard, it rarely breaks, so it's a good investment.

3. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    they're not assumptions, and first-hand experience doesn't make fact more factual. that's just elitism again.

oh

which was changed

other way around. fiction is like religion, what it says in the book goes.

they had good choreography, just terrible props, and as a result, terrible form.

but not that much?

probably because they are structured similarly, just one artificially (and therefore not as well). when carbon fibre breaks, it snaps in half, right?

no, in one year. but like i said, i have a tendancy to hit things when i'm concentrating on the movements.

i swing it very fast, and when it hits, it really hits

and you lecture me about first-hand experience

i said it looked terrible, not why it looked terrible. as a matter of fact, my rotoer had only been doing visuals for a couple months when he had tried every effect shown on ryan's site 10 times better than shown in the videos

4. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Sweet, let's see these clips.

5. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    i don't have them.

6. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Except that what you posed as fact -- the metal hilts being heavy -- was incorrect. Which you would know if you had experience with them. Instead, you assumed that they were heavy because they were metal. Because you have no firsthand experience, the best you can do is assumption based on hearsay. In this case, the assumption that "metal = heavy" was not without merit, but it was still incorrect.

It is true, that fact is not democratic, and whether you've picked up a metal hilt in your life or not doesn't change whether it's heavy or not. But the fact that you were wrong is also factual, and not elitist to say. If you have no experience, you have no experience and you are going by assumptions. Everyone does it. They just realize that sometimes they're not going to be right and accept it when evidence to the contrary is presented.

But still exists. Some people choose not to acknowledge the changes made in the Expanded Universe. Heck, some people choose not to acknowledge anything except the original Star Wars film. As a fictional story, it is their prerogative to decide how much they accept, and frankly, when it comes to fan films, if there's anything they'd like to change.

You can disagree with the deviation from canon, but that's still only a personal preference.

Actually, religion too is entirely a result of interpretation and personal preference. Otherwise there would be only one denomination of Christianity, for example.

When there are contradictory accounts -- one things says heavy, one says weightless -- then both are correct depending on your frame of reference and which you prefer to accept.

Aluminum doesn't weigh very much to begin with. Carbon fiber is noticeably lighter. That's all I will say because that's all there is to say. As I already stated, I don't have a way to measure them gram for gram.

When it breaks, it breaks cleanly at the point of weakness. In the case of the saber that broke, I believe it was about three inches from the tip. Technically it would have been perfectly possible to keep fighting with it, similar to what you have said about bamboo.

I specified that you hadn't been using it the entire time, as I didn't know how much of that period you had a sparring partner but I knew that it wasn't the whole time. That's what I mean about specifying what is known and unknown in an argument. I didn't claim to know how lo

7. AzerNik

AzerNik Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    You are right, they are more like presumptions. I suggest looking up the definitions of the following: assumption; assume; fact and perhaps first-hand.

Anyway, as much a I might like to fantasize about delrin being a good cheap, also nearly unbreakable, alternative to carbon fiber, chances are that should I ever actually make a saber duel I'll try and get my hands on some carbon fiber.

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Whoah whoah whoah, wait, really? Are you sure? Could you double-check for me?

I mean, seriously, I was looking forward to seeing effects literally ten times as good as mine, especially from someone who just started to learn the effects a couple months prior. I mean I really was, because clearly this individual (who apparently has a little trouble with keyframing) is some sort of prodigy. I mean we're not talking about clone clips that look twice as real, or lightsabers that look five times as good... no, this god among men, in a mere couple months, has achieved ten times as much excellence as anything I have on my site. I'm not sure why he needed to use any of my tutorials to begin with, though, I mean my stuff is clearly inferior, but I can't wait until this man, one of God's chosen special children, blesses us with tutorials on how to do effects that good. But I can understand if he doesn't want to share his secrets. I mean with his effects demo reel, he's surely working for ILM or something by now.

...and seriously, what exactly did you mean by:

9. neo_mp5

Feb 21, 2004
    yes, i know, you're full of yourself. politely put a sock in it and get back on topic.

10. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Sigh.

That's it. You're both banned and the thread is done.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.