main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Nearest Digital Theater?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SAND-CRAWLER, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Does anyone here know where the nearest digital theatre is? It's been said that the digital version of RotS will have more scenes than the film version and I would love to see them.

Thanks,

S-C

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Unfortunately, the nearest digital theatre is in Richmond B.C. - in fact it's the only digital theatre in Western Canada. I saw AOTC there and it was AMAZING!! It was really hard to come back and watch it on the regular screens afterwards.
    My husband and I are planning a trip to Vancouver July long weekend to see ROTS there.

3. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yeah, I've known about that theatre since AotC but I was hoping some other theaters would have invested into the future of cinema since then. BRUTAL!! Oh well, maybe I'll try to see it on my holidays in Nashville this summer with my wife.

4. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    What is the name of the theater in Richmond? I am going to BC (chilliwack) in the summer and I might want to make a day trip to the Scenic city of richmond.

Darth Paul

5. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Finally found the name of the that theatre - Famous Players Silvercity Riverport Richmond. And it's already been reported that they are indeed showing it in digital format (at least in one theatre).

6. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Does any one know if there's one nearer, like across the border, like in Montana or something? Anyone, anyone.

"Richmond is such a far place, from here."

7. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I checked online for digital theatre listings and there are none in Montana. There is one in Seattle but Richmond is still closer.

8. BFett333

BFett333 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 22, 2003
    We got to see a bunch of ROTS footage at C3 on the digital camera. AMAZING! The camera is freakin' huge!

9. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm going down to Vegas in the end of July and will catch ROTS on one of the Digital theatres there. Apparently there is additional footage in the digital version.

Rock, Rock on!

10. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    On way to Richmond, there is "Toy Traders", inside the store, there are Star Wars dia-ramas built into the walls. The owner is a H-U-G-E SW fan/toy collector, and he made these superb scenes from the movies, inside the shop.

Toy Traders
    150-19888 Langley By-Pass, Langley, B.C.
    (604) 532-9516

The store is hidden away, across from a Salvation Army, and automotives supply store, tanning salon, and across the highway--from "Landsdowne Shopping Mall". Which is Langley's biggest shopping centre.

Safe travels.

11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Heard that the Richmond theater **no longer has digital**. So unfortunately, that means a trip to either Montreal or Ontario to see EP3 on a digital screen. Unless you want to take a trip down to Seattle.....

12. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Had a bad feeling 'bout richmond, now considering, Seattle or Montreal.

Got to see it digitally.

There is no try.

13. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Has anybody read about the difference between the film and digital. I have looked online but not been able to find anything that tells of the extra 10 minutes.

I guess we'll just have to wait for a report from Yrol.

Ryan

14. whisperjedi

Apr 19, 2005
    Digitally speaking,
    Someone on the boards in the Vancouver chapter, mentions, that in "ATOC", near the end, Anakin holds up his mechanical hand to touch Padme's face, and that was in the digital version.

As for the extra 10 mins, in Ep.3
    ?????

The nearest theatres are:
    Monroe,Washington. near Seattle.
    Sunnyside,Washington.

Meridian, Idaho. near Boise.

And United Artists Denver Pavillions Stadium in Denver, Colorado.
    I'm thinking flights to Denver are cheap.

Nothing would satisfy me more, than to see ROTS, in a digital theatre.

15. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    In ATOC at the end anikins hold Padmes hand just like in the DVD. In the Film version it just hangs there.

Yrol I think is back in TO this week seeing it in a digital theater. So she'll give us all an update soon.

16. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    FINALLY.

I wish all of you could see the digital version. THIS is how Star Wars is MEANT to be SEEN. I've seen it 8 times so far and it's NOT ENOUGH. I NEED MORE!!!

Colour - The depth and boldness of digital colour is breathtaking. The film is MORE ALIVE - it literally POPS off the screen. The dogfights in the opening battle, the colour of the plasma beams, the outdoor footage, the indoor footage, the delicate play of light and shadow give the movie so much more depth. Every scene is so much MORE....I can't find a word to describe it.

Clarity of picture - ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!! You can see the pores on Anakin's skin, the worry lines around Padme's face, Yoda's wrinkles.... It's flawless - the digital effects blend so seamlessly...1000 times better than the film version. The battle scenes are AMAZING!! The colour of light saber blades -you can clearly see the shape of the blade - it isn't washed out by overexposure. You can actually see HOW FAST Hayden and Ewan are hitting each other in the final duel - STUNNING!!! I'm blown away time and time again.

Sound - POWERFUL. Not Overpowing. I thought Sunridge had great sound. Now I realize that it's just loud. Digital sound is so perfectly clear and realistic.....it envelops you, caresses you, surrounds you. You can hear the ship approaching from the right before it even hits the screen and the sound of it travels from left to right and even after it's gone!!

Extras - sadly, none. I read there were 10 extra minutes, but I've seen ROTS in 3 of the 4 digital theatres here, and they're all the same. A few additional bits added to some scenes but nothing really that stands out.

I've got to run as I'm seeing the 2pm show.

Back tomorrow morning - let's set up a meeting for next week and I will tell you more!

17. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Lucky duck!

No extras? No Mon Mothma? That's sad.

Definite debriefing meeting when you return.

18. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Did anybody see this on the Star Wars web site. You could win a pinball machine and more prizes just by sending in your ticket stub to the Star Wars Fan Club between June 10 and July 4th.

heres the link.
    Star Wars Contest

they are also looking for a person who has seen it the most between that time as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.