main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need a Jean Grey of the X-Men Expert

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jedi_Liz, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I am writing an AU fanfic where Jean Grey is Mara Jade's long lost twin sister. My theory is that Jean's telekesis ability is related to the Force.

I need someone who is a Jean Grey fan and expert to consult me on her character and/or even possibly be a co-writer.

Interested or if you can help, post here and PM me.

Thanks!

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I know some stuff about Jean Grey.

Waddya need to know?

If I don't know it, I can probably point you to someone who does.

3. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I need to know how to write her. I need to have some information regarding her relationship to Scott / Cyclops. A WB affiliate that is in my area used to have the original x-men cartoon on weekdays until, oh, well, its been awhile. It was more than a year ago, I think.

I loved seeing the reruns! It made me an x-men fan! (well, cartoon fan anyway).

This is post 1501, not 1500 as it almost was.

Anyway, if you can give me help, I'll thank you when I finish / post the story.

4. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I am retrieving this thread to the top because now I can't remember what her mutant ability is.....and does anyone have any other advice? Logan "Wolverine" briefly appears, and I want some others to appear, too.

So, I need some more advice!

Thanks for what I have received so far. I can wait to finish this and post it!

5. TheDarth

TheDarth Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    good idea, go to fan sites, they have it all

6. DesignSith

DesignSith Jedi Master star 2

Feb 12, 2000
    I agree with TheDarth... Jean Grey has been around long enough that I'm sure there's plenty of obsessive fansites around. You may have to do some digging for a good one, but I'm sure they exist.

Try X-Men fanfic communities as well. Maybe there's a character guide out there, or you can get an actual X-Men writer to help you. The best crossover fanfics (remember X-Jedi2?) are done by people with extensive knowledge of both worlds.

7. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Logan/Wolverine is from Canada. Originally he just had an amazing healing ability. When some scientists learned of his abilities they laced his skeleton with adamantium (strongest known metal), they then added the claws which he can send out and retract at will. He was known as Weapon X for a while. He is a short guy with a short fuse. He smokes ciggars and can do just about whatever he wants, since his body heals itself so quickly. Anything else?

8. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Jean Grey is a psi. Basically she has telepathy and telekinesis.

If you're writing a young Jean Grey, at first here telepathy abilities were very weak and she relied mostly on telekinesis.

When it comes to powers, Jean Grey is one of the top mutants around, especially in her particular mutant power. Though there are a few mutants who do surpass some of her abilities (Professor X is a stronger telepath, but he has no telekinetic abilities).

9. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Actually, Prof. X blocked her telepathy after she went into trauma when her best friend died (she was 8 or 10 then)

10. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    ^^ Yeah, that too.

Of course Jean has died, several times, like most comic book characters. ;)

11. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    nope, not a young Jean. She's, oh, I have no idea how old, but she's engaged to Scott in the story. I would say more, but i know who DesignSith is, and I think she would have a sarcastic remark about it.

Let's just say that she is about 32 years old. Its AU, so lets just make that her age.

I guess I can try to find an x-men fanfic writer, but if I do, I'd prefer to find him/her here.

I need to know that if they have an outsider, but this outsider does show signs of say, telepathy, then would they scan the retinas, etc, to make sure someone like mystique can't impersonate them?

Does anyone know any x-men fanfic writers that might be star wars fanfic writers, too?
    I'd feel weird asking on an x-men board. I don't know that much about x-men, though I love the x-men evolution cartoon.....and I recently purchased the movie that was in theatres.

Well, if anyone else can help me, please PM me.

12. DesignSith

Feb 12, 2000
    Liz, if I was going to be sarcastic I'd have done it already. I was being utterly serious.

Really. I'm not all bad. Just mostly.

Okay, more seriousness. (Gasp!) If nothing else, you can base your Jean on the one in the movie. FFN has different catagories for comic based and movie based X-men fanfic, so I don't see why you couldn't. Hell, make up your own backstory based on what you can find out. I assume this is mostly going towards the SW community, and they probably won't care if you forget Jean's second and a half death or something.

Although I do recommend getting the Dark Pheonix saga if you can - you can get it collected form and it's actually good. It's a very important piece of Jean Grey's history and a groundbreaking comic storyline in its own right. I'm sure you can work in something about temptation to the Dark Side from it. Plus, like I said... good story. Really. And it's X-men! (I was shocked.) Damn, now I'm giving myself ideas... There's some intriguing fanfic possibilites if you can work in something just after the Pheonix saga.

One more thing - I would advise against making Jean and Mara identical twins, because the movie Jean is WAY taller than Mara would be. (And all comic book women are 6" tall.) Hell, if I remember correctly she was too tall for the guy who played Cyclops... And the guy who played Wolverine...

Mmm... Hugh Jackman....

13. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Something else to keep in mind. Logan and Jean have had a little bit of a romance. I think Scott and Logan fought over her a couple of times.

14. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Plus Jean's (now) husband had a child with her clone.

15. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    this is AU, and I don't think any kind of twins necessary have to be the same height....maybe they can be fraternal twins, but it has to fit a little bit with the the subplot of the story.

Regarding the Dark Phoenix.....well, when one of my television stations used to air reruns of the x-men cartoon, I would get up to watch it, and I remember seeing those cartoon episodes. Then my station stopped showing them. :(

I am also trying to make up my mind regarding if I should by the cartoon video. I might try to see if Barnes and Noble carries the TPB version of the comic book that you mentioned. Or if I make it to Best Buy to buy a present for a friend, I'll check to see if they have a Jean Grey x-men cartoon video.

I've got some information to start with, I just need to fill some gaps here and there.

If I can obtain the comic or a video/dvd, then that will probably help me out a lot.

Is that Dark Phoenix available in Trade Paper Back format? I'd rather visit Barnes and Noble than a comic book store, unless I have no choice.

I may have to wait until April to finish this story.

Well, thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to get some information regarding the x-men (the only Jean Grey stuff I really needed was anything to do with her abilities or physical traits, her relationship with Scott, etc.)

16. DesignSith

Feb 12, 2000
    Is that Dark Phoenix available in Trade Paper Back format?

Yes. If you can't find it at B&N, you can get it from Amazon. (I can't make the link work, but just do a search of 'Dark Pheonix' and it'll come right up.) It's quite different from the cartoon version, so you'll probably have to choose one or the other to follow.

17. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    Hey, I just remembered that there was a X-Men-- Star Wars crossover thread on the fanfic boards once.

Also-- what plot do you have in mind? If you wanna have one of those bonding stories between Jean and Mara(if that is possible for Mara) then I wouldn't suggest Dark Pheonix. Jean was way too powerful, and then after that Jean died.

18. DesignSith

Feb 12, 2000
    Jean was way too powerful, and then after that Jean died.

And when she 'died' she could have been thrust into the SW Universe. Hey, it makes as much sense as the way they revived her in the comics.

But yeah, it would be a dark story, with Jean dealing with coming back from the dark side. But there are serious redemption possibilities, and it would be a good fanfic (with a happy ending, even!) But it would have to start off on a dark note, and that's probably not Liz's style.

But it IS an option and it WOULD make an good story. And all one really needs to work from would be basic X-Men lore and the Pheonix saga.

19. stevo

Aug 14, 2001
    with a happy ending, even!

Read my sig.

But anyways, that's a good idea!

20. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    If I remember, isn't the M'Kraan Crystal the nexus of every reality? And the Phoenix is the guardian of the Crystal.

That could lead to a good way for the two to meet up.

21. DesignSith

Feb 12, 2000
    This isn't life, stevo. It's fanfic. Fanfic ALWAYS has happy endings, because it's all about wish-fufillment.

Not all fanfic, of course. (I myself cannot wait until I get to kill off Luke; again, wish fufillment.) But most of it.

M'Kraan Crystal... It could be related to the Kalibur Crystal somehow, in that it enhances Force ability. Or the Kalibur is the M'Kraan. Although wasn't it blown up? Hey, that could have something to do with why Jean was pulled into the GFFA, to heal the crystal. Okay, it's kind of hokey, but this is Star Wars and X-Men we're talking about, not War and Peace.

Herman, if this wasn't a message board I would kiss you. :)

If Liz doesn't want to write this DP-centered fic, I hope someone does. The pieces come together all too well.

22. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Hey, don't let that stop you. [face_mischief]

Looks like the time I used to spend reading comics is finally gonna pay off. :D

23. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    you want to know my plot? It begins with Mara having a dream ( a memory of her childhood ). She sees someone in the dream that leads her to believe that she has a twin sister - idenitical or fraternal, doesn't really matter....probably fraternal.

Then L&M go to the doctor and get a shock, which confirms her suspicions. They visit Leia briefly. ( I model 4 year old Jaina after my own 2 year old niece, because she almost starts to cry when Mara gets ready to leave w/ Luke ). They go home, do one of those buried memory enhancement things. I have a whole backstory about Mara and explains how Jean made it to Earth.

I switch back and forth from Mara/Luke to Jean and Scott, where Jean has had a strange dream as well. She decides to delay her wedding to Scott by at least two more months, wanting to figure out where this sister comes from, or if she even exists.

We go back to Luke and Mara, they contact Kam at the Jedi Academy. They ask him if he can try to locate Earth for them.

Within two weeks, he has coordinates.

It takes them about five weeks to get to Earth.

Then Jean, Scott and Prof. X arrange for Luke and Mara to land in Roswell, New Mexico.
    This is after Mara and Jean make contact.
    ( I figured Roswell would be a good choice because of that supposed UFO crash in the 1940s. They also provide a special device that would cloak/camouflage their ship from prying eyes. )

They meet and talk briefly about how Luke/Mara's abilities are celebrated where they come from, while Jean (and the others) were/is/are? shunned.

There is no dark side struggle or things like that. Its just a story with a happy ending.

So,that's basically my plot. In this story, Mara and Jean's father was a Jedi knight, their mother was normal. Their dad was killed. Luckily, his parter was able to escape and make it back to their home planet ( which is temporarily Adumar in this story.) Since this is around the time of the great jedi scourge, Mara/Jean's father and their mother had made secret arrangements if anything ever happened to him. Their children were to be secretly taken away to a planet, named Earth, which had been discovered just years before. The jedi partner only had time to take Jean with him, because Vader/Emperor had arrived on planet. He had to get away as soon as possible. Then two days later, Vader/Emperor find Mara. Mara is given a shot that is supposed to make her happy childhood memories disappear. Her mother is taken away to work in the spice mines of Kessel.

There, I basically just gave away the whole plot. ;)

Any more questions? Or do you want to confuse me again with x-men talk??? :)

24. DesignSith

Feb 12, 2000
    ::kisses Herman::

Damn... Oh well. I guess our DP plot goes to the Land of Homeless Plot Bunnies... :(

25. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.