main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need Book Info

Discussion in 'Literature' started by drok, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drok

drok Jedi Youngling

Oct 13, 2003
    Hi fellas im new to the forum and ive never read Star Wars books but I might start soon. I was wondering which books are good. I been hearing something about a series like the New Jedi Order or something. Also i wanted books that take place around thhe same time as the 6 movies and even after and before the 6 movies. I would really appreciate some help cause i have no idea what to look for. Thx fellas.

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Read the Thrawn Trilogy first, wait for the NJO. Accually, read them in order.

3. Lord-Zekk

Lord-Zekk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    I would recommend reading Shadows of the Empire first, it takes place ESB and RotJ. Then go to the Thrawn Trilogy, I, Jedi and the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Hand of Thrawn Duology, and after you finish those, you should be okay starting the NJO. Then you can read any others that look appealing. But these are the essentials, in my opinion. Oh yea, be sure to stay away from the Crystal Star... it's horrible.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Welcome to the forums, drok! You've come at an exciting time in Star Wars literature history.

We have two major events happening.

The first is that the massive, nineteen novel (plus e-books) series, The New Jedi Order is coming to its conclusion next month after four years! What does that mean? It means that if you start with the first NJO novel, Vector Prime, by acclaimed fantasy author, Bob Salvatore, you'll be able to read straight through the entire series without having to wait for the next book to be published.

Of course the next major event is the mind-blowing, "Clone Wars" multi-media event going on right now as we speak. This major war is finally being detailed in full through novels by Del Rey and Scholastic as well as comic books by Dark Horse Comics, and a number of other Star Wars licensees.

And of course that's not even going into the backlog of already-existing Star Wars books.

My suggestion to you is to pick a timeframe to focus on...
    1. Tales of the Jedi - Comics by Dark Horse, Knights of the Old Republic game by LucasArts, etc.
    2. Prequel Trilogy - Del Rey novels, Dark Horse Comics
    3. Original Trilogy - Marvel Comics (Dark Horse "A Long Time Ago" reprints), Del Rey novels
    4. New Republic era - post-ROTJ novels by Bantam
    5. New Jedi Order era - post-NR era novels by Del Rey

Once you decide which era (and mainly which characters), the rest becomes rather easy.

5. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    If you are Interested in any Prequel era books u might try Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. Excellent read.

Everyone else will give u a better list than me so I wont bother. But I will tell you this, Try doing some backreading before starting the NJO. Or atleast Get a Essential Chronology because there was alot of reflecting on past events that I had not read about or only had read summary's on like from TimeTales or something. With as big of a cast as the NJO has, You defnatley need to know about these Characters.

Enjoy Reading!

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I been hearing something about a series like the New Jedi Order or something.<<

NJO is an epic series containing almost 20 books, spanning the timeframe of 25 to 30 years after A New Hope. One is theoretically able to start reading this series without having read any prior SW books.

Personally, I don't recommend doing so, since even if you can enjoy and understand the NJO without reading other books, the NJO is much more satisfying if you're familar with the stories that take place before it.

However, if you still wish to pursue that route, the NJO begins with a book called Vector Prime (you can actually download Vector Prime in e-book format for free if you are subscribed to starwars.com's Hyperspace service).
    I'd suggest picking up a book called The Essential Chronology though, since that summarizes events that take place prior to the NJO, and may help give you a general understanding of those past events going into the NJO.

>>Also i wanted books that take place around the same time as the 6 movies and even after and before the 6 movies.<<

A great series to start with is the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising & The Last Command), which is set 5 years after Return of the Jedi. The X-Wing series, which is set primarily between ROTJ and the Thrawn Trilogy, is also excellent.

Shadows of the Empire is also a good book to start out on, and it is set between Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ.

Additionally, Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter make an excellent prelude to The Phantom Menace.

Any of those would be your best bet to start off with, IMO.

For your reference, here's a timeline listing of the major books and comics that I recommend checking out after you've started out on one of the above, as well as their relation to those books I initially mentioned:

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic (comic series)
    Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the Sith (comic series)
    Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War (comic series)
    Tales of the Jedi: Redemption (comic series)

Jedi vs. Sith (comic series

Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

(The Phantom Menace)

Jango Fett: Open Seasons (comic series)
    Twilight (comic series)
    Darkness (comic series)
    Rite of Passage (comic series)

(Attack of the Clones)

Clone Wars Volume 1: The Defense of Kamino (comic series)
    Shatterpoint
    Clone Wars Volume 2: Victories and Sacrifices (comic series)

(Episode 3)

Han Solo Trilogy: Paradise Snare
    Han Solo Trilogy: Hutt Gambit
    Han Solo Trilogy: Rebel Dawn

Han Solo Adventures (Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo's Revenge, Han Solo and the Lost Legacy); these three books are set on the timeline during three interludes that occur in "Rebel Dawn".

(A New Hope)

(Empire Strikes Back)

Shadows of the Empire

(Return of the Jedi)

X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
    X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
    X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
    X-Wing: The Bacta War
    X-Wing: Wraith Squadron
    X-Wing: Iron Fist
    X-Wing: Solo Command

The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Tatooine Ghost

Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command

X-Wing: Isard's Revenge

Dark Empire (comic book series)
    Dark Empire 2 (comic book series)
    Empire's End (comic series)

Jedi Academy Trilogy: Jedi Search
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Dark Apprentice
    Jedi Academy Trilogy: Champions of the Force
    I, Jedi

Darksaber

X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar

Hand of Thrawn Duology: Spectre of the Past
    Hand of Thrawn Duology: Vision of the Future

The New Jedi Order: (provided for your reference in case you decide to start with this series)

Vector Prime
    Dark Tide 1: Onslaught
    Dark Tide 2: Ruin
    Agents of Chaos 1: Hero's Trial
    Agents of Chaos 2: Jedi Eclipse
    Balance Point
    Recovery (an e-book thats also included in the Star By Star paperback edition)
    Edge of Victory 1: Conquest
    Edge of Victory 2: Rebirth
    Star By Star
    Dark Journey
    Enemy Lines 1: Rebel Dream
    Enemy Lines 2: Rebel Stand
    Traitor
    Destiny's Way
    Ylesia (an e-book downloadable for free on starwars.com, which is set during Destiny's Way)

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Helpful as always.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.