main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need Darth Mauls Stats

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Mace_Windo, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace_Windo

Mace_Windo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    One of my players wants to be Darth Maul.

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    You want d20 stats - get the Dark Side Soucebook.
    You want d6 stats - go to SWRPG network.

3. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I believe you can also get D20 stats from the Core Rulebook as well.

4. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    Is the Dark Side Sourcebook out yet? I need d20 stats.

5. El Kabong

El Kabong Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 28, 1999
    Not to slam your playing style or anything, but why on earth would you want to play the movie characters? I would hate to be locked into a character like that, with little or no room to manuver outside of the set paramiters.

It always just seemed a bit odd to me.

6. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    I duno wy he wants to, other than he is a BIIIIG Darth Maul, and wants to everything about him.

7. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Yes, the Dark Side Book is out. It came out in Aug.

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I can't see why anyone would want to play an evil character. Other than as an experiment at any rate. I have played evil characters in completely evil AD&D parties, and within a few sessions, and true to our alignments, we started killing each other out of greed, spite, envy, you know, all the things that keep life from being 100% fun.

A co-worker of mine once told me a story of how his AD&D group had nearly one of each alignment in the group. I closed my eyes and began to rub my temples, because that's even more stupid than playing an entirely evil party. To make matters worse, the Lawful Good was a paladin and the Chaotic Evil was a thief/priest. He stated that the paladin could not act to stop the CE character unless he was in the midst of actually doing evil.

This is of course complete and utter bull$#|7.

It makes no difference if you are a paladin who can detect evil or a Jedi who can read someone's thoughts, if there is evil afoot it must be stopped. Now, a Jedi Knight might exercise some discretion, but in either case it WILL end with a confrontation. A paladin would draw the person out then kick their teeth down their throat.

9. Crimson_Jedi_Knight

Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2001
    Mixing evil and good PCs together is a real pain. I've seen it a few times with groups I play with and it gets really messy. I mean I've had them try to kill each other for fun when that happens.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    People who think playing evil characters means betraying your comrades are very poor understanders of evil I think.

Yeah it's evil but did the Sheriff of Notingham try and kill Prince John?

Yes Vader tried to kill Palpatine but not for about centuries.

Maul would have decades before he might challange palpatine if ever...

What about the Mafia Guys in the Godfather? Sheesh

11. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

The point of Star Wars, in fact almost ANY role playing game, is to play a hero. Not an anti-hero, not a villain, but one of the good guys. Sure, sometimes her heroes might ally themselves with a villain to accomplish a mutual goal, but the villain almost always ends up betraying them in the end.

Here we have a hypthetical typical Star Wars adventuring party:

Cale Sulan: Male Human Jedi Guardian
    Anan Fray'kre: Female Bothan Scout
    Imbul Nar: Ithorian Jedi Counselor
    Lan Rossari: Human Male Scoundrel
    Ranaar: Male Wookie Soldier
    Sith Lord Darth Evicerator: Male Human Dark Jedi Guardian (Complete with cybernetic black body armor and a half-face cowl from when he got part of his skull blown away from a lightsaber strike a year ago).

It's this party's goal to help people rebuild after the fall of the Empire. They have been dispatched to the planet Druidia to ask King Roland for help relocating some refugees, then travel to Thyferra to get some bacta for New Republic military vessels, but on the way they find a ship drifting in space and Cale senses something through the Force that tells him one of the life forms on the ship could be a Jedi Knight if properly trained. On the ship they find a six year old girl who appears to be an orphan-she's very sweet and cute, but possesses a translucent black and purple cube that Darth Evicerator knows is a Sith holocron.

Realistically, what's going to happen?

12. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Ummm
    the Evicierato (the sithy) gets the holocron, and the Jedi gets to keep the girl as apprentice. I mean i doubt any self respecting sithy has time for an 6 year old brat...i mean apprentice. its not as if the holocron in embedded inside the girl. and the jedi cant use the holocron so its no good for him. and they are in the same party anyway.
    Btw you say the rule of any RPG is to play the hero?lol...have you ever played or heard about Vampire the Masqurade????
    Sheeeeesh

13. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Yeah, and I played in a Masquerade campaign for over a year, I even own the some of the books. I can be a big enough jerk in real life, I don't need to play one in a game. Even the best GM in the world can't make up for sucky rules, and Vampire: The Masquerade ranks down there with GURPS as two of the most worthless game systems ever divised.

If you want to allow evil player characters, by all means. Any credible GM I know wouldn'y allow it, because they know that, if played properly, the evil character will find himself splattered over a wall by a PC or PCs who simply got fed up with the crap.

Most players want to play 'kewl' characters like Darth Maul, because the lack the experience or depth to play a real character, especially one of their own divising. I have never played a character out of a book, not a chance. It's always far more fun to play something you created. I think it would be more exciting to play someone like Kyp Durron or Ganner Rhysode who struggles against the Dark Side every day, because at least there is some dynamic to the character, rather than someone like Maul who is, let's be realistic here, pretty two-dimensional. Moreover, it would be far more interesting to play an actual 'good' character Jedi Knight who has to struggle against the Dark Side, though Ganner pretty much fits that bill.

14. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    yea yea whateva.
    RPGs are supposed to be fun. if someone has more fun playing *two dimensional* charachters then let him/her go ahead. not every one has your views about playing charachters who have their family trees traced out to the damn stone age, or characters who *struggle(ooh so dramatic) against...something (whatever you were talking abt). If someone ones to play an evil killing machiene in a game, because thats the way he has most fun let him. You may think a charachter like that gets boring but he certainly does not. And people like that can roleplay with the best of them. oh and thanks for clarifying abt the jerk part though.

15. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

It's easy to recognize in others, isn't it?

16. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    yes it is. it really is. but i'm a jerk too. maybe not as big a jerk as 'some people(hint hint)' but a jerk nonetheless.
    btw youre the same guy i'm having the Maul vs Vader debate with arent you???grrrr

17. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    The situation here is I have probably been gaming for longer than you have been alive. Since I am betting you are under 20 years of age, which is how long I have been gaming, I have had a lot of experience with a great many games. And made a HELL of a lot of mistakes in both playing and running them.

I am old enough to remember the original D&D published paper backs from 1975, this is before the hard cover Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, usually referred to as 1st Edition, released between 1979 - 81. The first RPG I played was back in 1981 when I started high school. Since then I have played DOZENS from AD&D 1, 2 & 3 (Plus Basic D&D, Expert D&D), Call of Cthulhu, GURPS, Morrow Project, Gamma World, both Star Wars, Marvel Super Heroes, Star Trek, Mechwarrior, Pendragon, Rune Quest, Aliens, Rifts & all other Palladium games, Renegade Legion, Psi-World, Champions, Bubble Gum Crisis, DC Heroes, Role Master, Space Master, Recon, Mechanoid Invasion, Space Opera, Teenagers from Outer Space, Alternity, Mekton (all versions), Cyberpunk, Vampire, Paranoia, It Came from the Late, Late, Show, Toon, Wabbit Wampage, Star Fleet Battles, Shadowrun, Kult...the end is listless as they say.

I have seen all manner of players- rules rapers, rules lawyers, munchkins, good role players, bad role players, and people who just like to watch. I have kicked people out of games for their behavior- never something to do often, scolded players and have been scolded myself for doing things that I should not have. I have had players sabotage my games so that they failed, seen one PC kill another just for the fun of it, made huge errors in judgement that I have caused my campaign to end almost on the spot. I have been unreasonable and I have been reasonable.

It's been my experience that says evil characters in a PC party can almost always lead to an unpleasant end.

I played in an AD&D game once where one of the players had his halfling PC who had an half-ogre NPC as a blood brother. The halfling would then steal with impunity from other PCs with the knowledge that if they ever attempted to do anything to the halfling, the half-orge would tear out their spine. This went on for MONTHS until one session the half-ogre ended up face to face with a medusa (or a gorgon) and got turned to stone. My friend Ian barreled through the door way and clumsily crashed into the stone statue of the half-ogre and toppled it to the ground where it shattered to pieces. After that the halfling was no longer a problem.

In a Space Opera game that I played in I watched my friend Ken take his character down to the engineering section of the ship we were on and calmly blew away another character's girl friend because her weapon of choice was a device known as a Neural Whip- a weapon that if you are caught with is an instant death penalty from every major government in the game, and a weapon that she used with impunity.

I played in a 2nd Edition AD&D campaign where we all played evil-aligned characters. The campaign last 6 sessions, and by the time it ended there were 2 PCs left out of six, because we had all killed each other off. The DM didn't have to have NPCs or monsters attack us, no, we played out our alignments and sooner or later greed, hatred, etc. took its toll and PCs started to die.

All I am saying is that if you allow an Evil character like Darth Maul into a campaign with largely Good characters, the results should be obvious. If nothing happens then people are not playing their characters properly, and the player who wants to be Darth Maul might as well have played Mary Poppins for all the difference it will mnake.

18. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    Actually, I think the point of roleplaying games is to take on a role. Now, most commonly, it is the role of a hero, but not necessarily. I have run evil characters in a party of good guys, doing everything behind the scenes while pretending to be a good guy. A good player can pull it off, but it takes a good GM. Now, villain-only games are much easier to do, and more frequently meet with success. While I don't reccommend playing evil characters or running evil games to inexperienced players and GMs, I think that it's most certainly a viable option, as the point of roleplaying games is to take on the role of a different character...and the villain is certainly a role that needs to be filled.

On a side note, where do you get off telling people how to run their games? I don't care how many years of experience you have, just because you like things one way doesn't mean that other people should play that way. Seriously....maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying, but from where I'm standing it looks like you think an awful lot of yourself and look down on people who don't follow your thought process.

19. Mace_Windo

Aug 31, 2001
    He just wanted to be Darth Maul! Never mind, there probally in the Core Rulebook.

20. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000
    Actually, I think the point of roleplaying games is to take on a role. Now, most commonly, it is the role of a hero, but not necessarily. I have run evil characters in a party of good guys, doing everything behind the scenes while pretending to be a good guy. A good player can pull it off, but it takes a good GM. Now, villain-only games are much easier to do, and more frequently meet with success. While I don't reccommend playing evil characters or running evil games to inexperienced players and GMs, I think that it's most certainly a viable option, as the point of roleplaying games is to take on the role of a different character...and the villain is certainly a role that needs to be filled.

More or less, I guess. I don't know, I guess the idea of playing an evil character other than an NPC as a GM, holds no interest for me. I also don't see the point, when as GM I can play a villain NPC whose psychology I understand, insofar as motivations, ideals, morality are concerned is good enough. I'd much rather have the gratification of being forthright and decent on a scale that can't be accomplished by people in their every day lives.

On a side note, where do you get off telling people how to run their games? I don't care how many years of experience you have, just because you like things one way doesn't mean that other people should play that way. Seriously....maybe I'm just not understanding what you're saying, but from where I'm standing it looks like you think an awful lot of yourself and look down on people who don't follow your thought process.

Wasn't my intent. Maybe I did over state things a bit, but my intent was to help, not tell someone how they should run something. As I said in my previous post, I have made a lot of mistakes, ones that ruined campaigns, and I would rather spare people some mistakes which I have found to be common. Nor was it my intent to condescend, though in reading what I wrote, it's easy to see how it could be. Ultimately, though, I left it in the other person's hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.