main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need Gollum Mesh

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DMPjedi, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I'm looking on google and several sites at the moment for a mesh of Gollum from LOTR The Two Towers. I need him for an english project (we're reading The Hobbit). What I'm looking for is a fully posable mesh with the ability of expression and lip sync. If anyone knows of one, please tell me. I'm looking right now, just thought it'd be easier with some help.

Thanks! :D

Nathaniel

2. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    .....you'll find one, maybe. Post this on the SciFi3D forum. It may not be free, dude.

3. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Oh yeah, duh. They'd know more. Just in case someone hear knows where to find one, I forgot to mention I'm using 3ds Max 4

4. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Nope, can't help you here. Now, if you needed Gollum's voice... I can do a fairly reasonable one...

Sage H.

5. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002
    If your posting it in scifi 3d, do it in the Requests thread. There are enough locked threads on the front page as is.

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I can do Gollum's voice perfectly.

Try whipping it out sometime you go Laser Tagging, Sage. Nothing like knowing people are running around in the dark listening to you screaming "Theives! We hates it! Protect the precious!"

:p

EDIT: Forgot to directly address the thread.

A good Gollum mesh is going to be EXTREMELY high poly and very dense in rendering. Probably, as has been said, not free for a quite good one. Good luck with your search.

M. Scott

7. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The movie Gollum was sculpted in parts, and then scanned, intermeshed, tweaked, texured, tweak some more, etc. etc. etc. I think they said he took a little over four months before he pleased Peter Jackson.

I'd do a stop motion animation for you, but you'd need to pay for half of production costs, and time, and you'd have to settle for him being a caricature. :D

I mean, if you're acting out a scene from the Hobbit, you can conceal allot of the CG character in the shadows, since he and Bilbo meet in a cave.

Just an idea.

-Matt

8. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    HAHA!!! Will do Mike!

:D

Sage H.

9. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Well, I've got a friend who can do the voice, and so can I a little bit. So I'm covered there. I gave up last night and decide I will attempt to model a crappy one myself. We're not done with the book yet and haven't even got the project assigned but I know we have to do it and I know he lets people do videos for projects from what he told us at the beginning of the year. So my work will not go wasted.

Well I guess no matter what my work won't be wasted beacause I'll have learned more :D .

I win! [/patrick star]

Anywho, thanks anyway people, now "Go away and never come back!" jk

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually the line is "Leave now and never come back!"

;)

M. Scott

11. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    BOOYAH!!!

:D

Sage H.

12. Quinn_Domo

Quinn_Domo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2001
    cant you find a scrawny, lanky little pale shut-in type person, strap a loin cloth on im and have them run around???

;)

13. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    RUN AWB!!! THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!

8-}

Sage H.

14. PS2Snake

PS2Snake Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    Are you going to have Close up shots of his face, or will it just show his back or the camera will rairly see it, like FOTR

15. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, in "The Hobbit", Bilbo didn't really see much but Gollum's eyes...

16. Master_Jedi_David

Master_Jedi_David Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2002

I thought the exact same thing when I read what was posted.

17. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    RUN AWB!!! THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU!!!

HOLY CRAP! OMIGOD! LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO!!!!

LOL!

Whew. I honestly laughed so hard just then I sounded like an idiot.

[face_laugh]

You made my night Sage.

18. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Glad I could be of service Fig...

:)

Sage H.

19. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    Seems like a lot to ask for for reading a book!!! Wouldn't there be some kind of copyright on it?

20. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    It's for private, artistic, non-for-profit use, I don't think anyone will care if he makes a full length hobbit movie, and it's not like anyone could sue him if he did in this particular instance. This and parody.

-Matt

21. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003

How could I mess up like that?

I doubt there's anything against doing something like this for school. Anywho, I did find a mesh of a kinda cartoonish girl that looks like a space pilot or something. My plan was to get rid of the hat, goggles, and change textures and get rid of the futuristic clothes. She sort of looks like Gollum and is able to do expression.

The only problems are 1) I can't get rid of the clothes, only the hat and goggles and 2) I can't figure out the lip sync stuff in 3ds max. So I'll think of something I guess. We're not even done with the book, I got plenty of time.

Oh and since my teacher is obsessed with LOTR, we started watching The Two Towers today :D . Damn that full screen! :p

22. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Someone on Massassi.net is making a Gollum skin for JO. While the model isn't as high-poly as you'd probably want, it's still an option. The most recent screenshot of it is near the bottom.

And like that...he's gone.

23. PS2Snake

PS2Snake Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    Hey, If your going to have a Gollum mesh model from a cartoonish girl I think I can help you with a model as long as it does not have any close ups,it loos pretty gollum like from the back or far from the front anyways PM me or email me what you want done, I will see if i can do it as long as im not doing your homework for you. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.