main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need Help........Anyone know Latin?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Arldetta, Jul 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arldetta

Arldetta Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm trying to find someone to help me. I have most of a story done, the only thing that's stopping me from posting it is the title. I want to make sure it's right. I want the title to be in Latin, the real problem is I don't know latin.

So any help here would be hot. Thanks.
    Ari

?[face_plain] :( ?[face_plain] :(

2. Uuta_Shetai

Uuta_Shetai Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    What would the title be in English? After all, you don't want a title that means "Purple Biscuit Hippopotamus Rinds" or something, just because it sounds pretty. (although that wouldn't look too pretty)

3. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    OK, fair enough. I want the title to mean, Free the Jedi. When I started asking one of my friends, she started asking me all these questions about context and stuff. I was getting confused. Please help!

:_| :_| :_|

4. MrBoddy

MrBoddy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    Right, because both noun and verb endings in Latin change based on context. For example, the verb is "Free." It sounds like this is a command, in which case, there are two possible endings. If the command is being given to one person, it's "Libera." If it's being given to more than one, it's "Liberate" (pronounced like lib-er-ah-tay). If you don't mean it as a command and just want to say "to free," use the form "Liberare" (which would be my personal choice).

For the noun, we have to Latinize the term. I'm guessing a second declension would work best here. [Iedus, -i] In this case, it's clear that we're looking at a direct object, so the question is whether it's singular [Iedum] or plural [Iedos]. Either way, just put the two words together (like "Liberare Iedum" or "Iedum Liberare" (it doesn't matter in Latin)), and you have a title.

5. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Uuta, thanks for the prompting.

MrBoddy, Thank you, thank you, thank you.

:D :D :D :D :D

My friend did mention it would be something like Jedi Liberare. And I guess I really meant it to mean to set free the Jedi(pl.), so based on your input, Liberare would be correct.

I really appreciate your input. Not I can touch up some things and post away!!! Yeah!!

6. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My Latin is reeal rusty, but I think the verb you want is "libera." That would be the imperative form of "free." Imperative as in--"Hey, free the Jedi! Don't be slow about it!"

You could try to Latinize "Jedi," although the "j" should properly become an "i." You'd want accusative case . . .

Okay, I just checked out a Latin grammar site: http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/wh-prax.html

If we pretend "Jedi" is part of the the "default" 2nd declension (the one most people would recognize), accusative singular would be "Iedium" and plural would be "Iedios."

So that leaves us with "Iedium Libera" for "Free that there Jedi," or "Iedios Libera," for "Free those there Jedi."

BTW--"liberare" is the infinitive form of the verb. It would be translated, "to free."
    You make the imperative by dropping the "-re." Actually, "To Free the Jedi" is a perfectly good title, IMO.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Arldetta,
    Sorry, I don't know latin, but I could suggest you PMing Ty-Gon Jinn, who is really good at latin. He's on vacation right now, sorry, but he'll be back in about a week or so... (and don't worry, he doesn't bite..) ;)

Hope this helps any. :)

8. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I know Latin, I would have stated this fact earlier, but MrBoddy already answered you correctly.

"Iedos" would be the correct form, not "Iedium" because the Latinized term in the 2nd would be "Iedus, Iedi" and would also be in the plural.

9. Arldetta

Jul 19, 2002
    Ophelia, Miana and Pallas - Thank you so much for responding. I took MrBoddy's word for it and am already posting my story. "Ideos Liberare" is now an official WIP on the Fan Fic Stories Board. Check it out to see why I wanted that title. ;)

Thanks again all, I really appreciate it!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Ari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.