main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need Help Building a Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by SuprSpy79, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuprSpy79

SuprSpy79 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2003
    Ive seen alot of tutorials online but most of them do not take into account that you need a blade mounted inside so you can use it for shooting.

So far I have a hollow aluminum tube for the handle and a hollow aluminum tube for the blade. Now I have no idea where to go from here.

Anyone know of any good tutorials or anything that might help?

2. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Unfortunately I don't have any tutorials for you. But I do know that if you are gonna use this for dueling in a film (that's how it sounds), then you'll need to screw the blade to the hilt. You can then dress up the hilt anyway you like. But for security of the blade, you'll need to screw it in, in 2 seperate places at least.
    Hope that helped some.

3. SuprSpy79

Jul 24, 2003
    Yeah - Im looking at makeing saber style 4 from the big yellow box. I have to figure out how to modify that so I can secure the blade.

4. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Well what I plan to do, and the only reason I haven't yet is because I'm lazy, is get a length of PVC one size larger than your tube, so it fits snuggly. If it doesn't, you can always get a coupling for that size (the peice that joins two peices together, then get a couple of washers and drill out the hole so your PCV pipe fits snuggly in the washers. Make sure the washers fit snuggly into the hilt (notice a pattern?) If not, buy the next size bigger and grind down the washers to fit. Epoxy one washer to the bottom of the hilt on the inside. This will create a place for the PVC to sit in so it won't shift around. Then epoxy another about half way down the hilt, and another at the very end. Next, spread some epoxy on the PVC and slide it into the inside of the hilt, down through the washers. You've effectively created a PVC sleeve for your pipe. Now, just insert the blade, drill a few holes and secure it using a couple of thumbscrews. This was you don't have to have a screw driver on hand to remove the blade. You should only need one screw because the sleeve will pretty much keep the blade in place. Like I said, I haven't done it yet (I'm still boring out the washers) but it sounds good, in theory. If you do it this way, lemme know how it comes out :)

EDIT: I just looked at the saber you plan to make. You can substitute the wood in the hilt for the method I've described above. Just use two washers, one on each end, and you can stick the plastic 'grip' part in the hilt. It should be large enough to fit in the hilt without need to be secured, then when you have the blade assembly in, it should stay in place. I'm doing a modified #4 and it seems to work ok.

5. SuprSpy79

Jul 24, 2003
    Im sorry Im a moron - the stly im doing was VI :)

6. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Well I've already constructed that one. Got it signed by David Prowse and everything :D

My method would actucally work better with that saber because you don't have to worry about the inner plastic grip. Just substitute the film canister 'emitter' with the top most washer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.