main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NEED HELP FROM ALL THE FABULOUS FANS

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by amanda_is_me, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amanda_is_me

amanda_is_me Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2006
    Hello i am amanda...my friend Hannah and I are conducting a star wars fan, cult film and tv project for media studies as part of our uni degree. we are thirs years and we are being very silly in doing this quite late, we have this week to compile all our research...we are focusing on fan costuming for our presentation and i have enclosed a short questionaire which i would be most grateful if anyone at all would like to have a look and answer some questions for us....if anyone lives around greater london anre and would be willing to have a short interview iwth us on film...that would be most awesome...

we have to complete everything within the next few days, sorry its short notice, as third year degree students we have so much work, this is just one module...

anyway, if you could help it would be so good, we cant offer anything, except total recept of all answers and privacy...
    the questions and a short summary are below, if u wanna anser please copy and paste to an email and send to mandieshandy@hotmail.com or reply to this post and i should receive it in my email as a post notification....

thanku

amanda

Cult Film and TV Interview Questions

Dear Sir/Madam

We are two students from St Mary¡¦s College in Twickenham, Greater London. We are currently undertaking a research project for a module called Cult Film and Television; Audiences, Fans and Fan Culture. We have prepared a number of straight forward questions with regards to costuming within your fan community. We would be most grateful for your responses and any information you may be able to provide on the subject. If possible, we would like to film some of these responses in the form of an interview in order to create a mini documentary which will be presented to an examiner during a scheduled lecture. We hope to keep the presentation minimal and therefore should not take up too much of your time and we are happy to arrange a meeting time and place at your convenience, we can also supply in writing, a letter from our lecturer to prove that we are genuine and that the material used is solely for the purpose of our exam. If you are able to help us out in anyway please respond via email. We are hoping to have all research completed this week,before friday, so we would need your responses ASAP. Due to the subject matter it would be wonderful if anyone would be willing to take part whilst in costume! We will respect the privacy of anyone wishing to take part and if requested they may remain anonymous. We hope to hear from you soon¡K

Yours Faithfully

Hannah and Amanda

?º

Questions:

1. Do you consider yourself, or anyone that you know to be an active member of a Star Wars fan community?
    2. Can you give any details of any Star Wars fan community in particular that you enjoy being a part of?
    3. Do you attend any meetings or conventions and if so do you dress in costume as part of the event or in tribute to the films?
    4. Is costuming a major part of Star War¡¦s fandom, in your opinion?
    5. What do you think of fans who regularly attend in costume?
    6. If applicable, to what extent do use costuming as a fan and why is this important to you?
    7. Can you give examples or, supply pictures of costuming that you have seen or worn that express fandom within this community?
    8. Do you think costuming makes you a more dedicated fan or is it just for fun?
    9. Can you give examples of costuming taken to extremes?
    10. What your favourite character to pose as?
    11. Do you spend time making your costumes or are they hired or bought?
    12. Why Star Wars, (inspiration, excitement

2. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    1. Do you consider yourself, or anyone that you know to be an active member of a Star Wars fan community?
    If this is considered one, then of course! But I do plan on being in the Rebel Legion when old enough.
    2. Can you give any details of any Star Wars fan community in particular that you enjoy being a part of?
    I've read up on both the Rebel Legion and the 501st and wish to someday be a part of both. They do many events, such as marches and fundraisers for children with diseases and so forth.
    3. Do you attend any meetings or conventions and if so do you dress in costume as part of the event or in tribute to the films?
    I've attended one convention, but due to bad weather didn't go in costume. There is one Con coming up in July that I do plan on going in costume.
    4. Is costuming a major part of Star War¡¦s fandom, in your opinion?
    I think it's a way for fans to have fun, but there are people who simply celebrate by memorabilia and such.
    Have fun and keep on costuming!
    6. If applicable, to what extent do you use costuming as a fan and why is this important to you?
    I use costuming because I find it difficult to find and afford several things, and costuming is a hobby that I find pleasure in constructing, and seeing the kid's faces at certain events.
    7. Can you give examples or, supply pictures of costuming that you have seen or worn that express fandom within this community?
    Within this community you can find several examples, just take a look around. I do not have any pictures currently of myself, but do plan to in the future.
    I like to consider it just for fun. It's a hobby.
    There was this one guy at C3 who made a General Grievous out of PVC pipe. He had all four working arms!
    10. What is your favourite character to pose as?
    So far I've only done Anakin, but I'm currently working on a Vader. If I could afford it, I'd probably enjoy a Stormtrooper.
    As mentioned before, I enjoy taking the time to construct my own costumes. I realize others may not possess the skills required.
    12. Why Star Wars, (inspiration, excitement)?
    That's just like asking someone if they're a Republican or a Democrat, I don't know really. I guess because it's one of those things I saw as a child and never really grew out of. I'm a huge LOTR fan as well. Well, I'm sorry I don't live anywhere NEAR London, but I hope my answer will be of some help!

3. vaderfanvr6trbo

vaderfanvr6trbo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    1. Do you consider yourself, or anyone that you know to be an active member of a Star Wars fan community? I would definetely consider myself to be an active member of the Star Wars community.
    2. Can you give any details of any Star Wars fan community in particular that you enjoy being a part of? I am SL4118(Darth Vader) with Garrison Carida of the 501st Legion.
    3. Do you attend any meetings or conventions and if so do you dress in costume as part of the event or in tribute to the films? I been out to 4 troops(events in costume) with my Garrison so far, this month, I'm trooping every Saturday! I go in costume for both the event and in tribute to the films.
    4. Is costuming a major part of Star Wars fandom, in your opinion? To me costuming is a big part of Star Wars fandom. But it all depends on the fan I guess
    5. What do you think of fans who regularly attend in costume? I think its great when you go to a convention or movie opening or whatever, and see stormtroopers, Darth Vader, or any other characters. fans that dress in costume for certain occasions, I think, are very dedicated fans(like me:D)
    6. If applicable, to what extent do use costuming as a fan and why is this important to you? Again, as a member of the 501st, costuming is just a way for me to show my appreciation for the films. I enjoy giving to charity events and such, and what better way than going out as Darth Vader with 10 or so stormtroopers. Its great to see kids get so excited, or scared silly
    7. Can you give examples or, supply pictures of costuming that you have seen or worn that express fandom within this community? Here are a few shots of my ROTS Vader. Enjoy!
    [image=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4345/0604231241306vo.jpg]
    [image=http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/5533/10021382lg.jpg]
    [image=http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/1259/10021432ye.jpg]
    [image=http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/7650/10021393xm.jpg]
    [image=http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2756/img00477uu.jpg]
    8. Do you think costuming makes you a more dedicated fan or is it just for fun? I wouldn't say that because I have a costume, that I'm more dedicated. Its totally just for fun. I know of a few guys(huge fans) that don't costume, but collect anything and everything Star Wars. Collecting, like costuming, is just another way of showing your appreciation of the films
    9. Can you give examples of costuming taken to extremes? Like fett-man said, the guy with the General Grievous costume at Celebration III, thats what I call extreme. SWEET!
    10. What your favourite character to pose as? No hesitation there, Darth Vader! Although I'm currently working on a Jango Fett now, and then a Stormtrooper.
    11. Do you spend time making your costumes or are they hired or bought? My ROTS Vader costume was all purchased in pieces over the course of 1.5 years. Although I enjoy being creative and making stuff, I found that buying the parts from professionals made my Vader look that much better. That and I don't have the time it takes to build stuff. Hats off to all that do create there own=D=
    12. Why Star Wars?(inspiration, excitement) I can't honestly tell you, its just one of those things that grabs certain people and sticks. Star Wars stuck to me when I was like 6 or 7. Ever since then I always wanted a Vader costume, and now that I have it, I look back and can see that to me, it was all worth it! I hope that my answers can help you two in some way. good luck on the project and be sure to let us know how it turned out!;)

4. -red_nite-

-red_nite- Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    Questions:

I do and i have several friends who are also active members.

I love being a member of the sith cheerleaders... and also being a member of the milwookies.. (sadly college took me away from that) and I am a fan fiction writer.

I have attened celebration 2 and 3 and gen con and i have been in costume for all the time i was at the con. I have also entered a costume contest at C3.(that was great no i didnt win)

4. Is costuming a major part of Star War's fandom, in your opinion?
    I think so becuase it shows your dedication to the fandom and the character that a fan identifies with or idolises.

i think they are great!! the guts to wear a slave leia costume is amazing and to create a new concept is sooo cool.

6. If applicable, to what extent do use costuming as a fan and why is this important to you?
    I think that it shows the world that i have no fear of enjoying myself and that i like star wars.. i look at it as wearing an extreme t-shirt that has a band name on it or a political view.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/TheRedNite/DSCF0147.jpg] this is me and a guy dressed as bail..(after i found out)
    [image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/TheRedNite/opening%20night/DSCF0178.jpg] and this was me at the opening of episode 3.

I see it as dedication. I went to an all girl highschool and when episode 2 came out i braved the evil girls and wore my costume the day before and the day of release. but i also think its fun to see the costumes other people have made.

body modification... when you get horns implanted into your head so you can really be darth maul i think that is a bit expreme.. but i still think that is awsome and real dedication.

10. What your favourite character to pose as?
    I only have two costumes a jedi and a concept art costume of what bail organa's wife wore...(i thought it was padme)

I make my costumes usually with help from my mom.

12. Why Star Wars, (inspiration, excitement) in 1997 my grandma died and i was very depresses and found star wars to be simple in it identification of good vs bad and how in the end even the most evil of people can be redeemed.

hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.