main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*NEED HELP : JK and MotS are messing up....

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by portman_is_so_fine, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    every time i pop them in the go for about 5 to 10 minutes the just freeze up and i cant do anything. any idea what the problem may be?? i am running on windows ME, intel pentium III processor, 127 MB RAM, and an ATI Radeon 7200 i think. it used to not crash up at all awhile back and i could play it for hours. thanks for the help.

2. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    Have you installed it again?
    It just freezes up ah?
    Hmmm, I beleive you're running the right system.
    Does it have something to do with the game or the computer you're running?
    Lemme know.

3. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    Help me out Portmam_is_so_fine :)

4. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    how do you get 127 MB RAM? Most RAM comes in denominations (these days) of 64 (rare, not used often anymore), 128, 256, 512 and 1024.

Do any other programs or games freeze up like that? If so, it could be bad or lack of good enough cooling in the case - attributed to CPU cooling, GPU cooling or insufficient amount of case fans.

Or put one more in the books of a computer that won't work b/c of the "wonderful" drivers from the folks at ATI...

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Perhaps you have too many programs running in the background?

Kaaza and Norton Anti-Virus mess up my game-play w/ other games sometimes.

6. portman_is_so_fine

Apr 28, 2002
    well i tried reinstalling it. it got through the first two levels but then in the third it froze up. so i dunno what the problem is. it cant be the ATI card cause ive had it for a year now and the game worked well back in the summer and spring and stuff.

whats the thing about to many programs running background or whatever? that could be it but i dont know what it means.

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    I think a while back I had a similar problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times. When you uninstalled did you choose the option that allows you to keep your saved games etc? If you did choose this - uninstall again and DON'T choose this - uninstall everything. Then go to your "start" menu and go to "Settings" then choose "add/remove programmes" then remove Jedi Knight / MOTS. Then shut down the PC. Start the PC then install them again.

8. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    Well what the programs in the background means is this.
    Y'know how you turn on your computer and programs load over on the right hand side of the taskbar? Before playing your game right click on them and click exit, or close, make sure all are closed.
    That might do it.
    Don't worry, once you've clicked them off they'll come back on next time you turn your computer on :)
    Hope this helped.
    Anymore questions?
    Do you have Windows, or a apple? If you have an apple computer then the following won't work.

9. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Sometimes the programs running in the background (and thus consuming system resources) might be a good explanation. This is more critical when playing online and I believe it adds up to overall latency.
    However, did the problem began after a video-card upgrade? I've read about some problems regarding the new ATI cards and maybe that could also be an explanation. I had similar issues awhile back when replaying JK with a new VisionTek GeForce4 card. I previously had a Voodoo4 card and all my games ran smoother on it than on this new card I bought recently. With the newer card JK would sometimes crash (corrupting the savegame on several occasions, to my chagrin), the playback in cutscenes would be choppy and even with a higher gamma settting, JK and many of my older SW games look darker than before. Same thing goes for DVD playback, but that's another matter entirely.

So, if possible, try switching video cards and see if the problem lies with your current video adapter.

10. Skimaniac87

Nov 21, 2002
    How much do video cards cost anyways?
    Just curious, I've never priced one before.

11. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    The sad thing about some of the new, mega powerful video cards/3D accelerators is that they're over twice as expensive as a next-gen game console. Last I checked the latest Nvidia GF4 and ATI Radeon cards were in the $350.00-$400.00 neighborhood. For that amount of money I'd rather get myself a much cheaper Xbox plus a couple of games. It makes the Upgrading-Your-PC decision that much harder...or much simpler, from a certain poitn of view. [face_plain]

12. portman_is_so_fine

Apr 28, 2002
    Well I tried just about everything. They still freeze up. I seriously don't know what it could be. It can't be my card casue I've had it over a year it the game was doing fine back in the summer. Oh well, guess I can just play it when I get my own pc for college or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.