main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

need help making a custom sith lord costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by bfarve18, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfarve18

bfarve18 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2009
    how would i start this off and wat will i need to do it i got a tight budget

2. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    First, how tight is the budget? I know it's a personal question, but we need something to go off of. Second, how much are you willing to do yourself? Can you sew, etc. This can drastically affect the price of a costume. Third, are you trying for 501st approval or is this more of a Halloween costume?

3. bfarve18

bfarve18 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2009
    at least a 20$ and no cant sew and yes 501st

4. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    $20? Unless you score something fabulous in the bargain section of the local wal-mart fabric department or fabric store, $20 for fabric is not going to go very far at all, I'm afraid.
    When my local fabric store has had "buy 1 meter, get 2 free" sales, I've picked up enough fabric to make a couple of outer cloaks- fabric that cost $10= buy two meters, get the other four free. But that was just enough for a cloak, or enough linen for a tunic, not an entire costume. And that's just for fabric- you will also need a leather belt or other costume parts, a lightsaber, boots, and other accessories to finish the outfit.

Do you know anyone who can sew, such as friends or relatives? They may be willing to help you sew your outfit up, especially if you offer to do something for them in return. Or they may be willing to teach you. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay somebody to do it, and that gets expensive really fast.

And have you checked the requirements for the 501st? They don't allow custom or "generic" Sith lords, the way the Rebel Legion allows generic or custom Jedi.
    If you want to represent one of the Sith who have appeared in the movies, video games, or books, then the 501st would be a good choice, just head on over to www.theflagshipeclipse.com.
    But if you wish to create your own unique character, than the costuming group called The Sith Order would be a better choice.

For what it's worth, I've done several Jedi outfits for myself and others, and a decent one is going to cost at least $200 to put together- I figure a Sith wearing robes not too different from a Jedi's (only with a palette of blacks, greys, and reds) would come in at about the same. Even when the fabric was on sale to such an extent that enough for two tunics, sash and tabards plus the aforementioned cloak came in at around $50, there is a lot more needed to complete the costume. A friend of mine got lucky and I was able to find her a leather-look belt on Ebay for $25. Faux leather, not real leather. From a few feet away it looks great, but up close it's not hard to tell it's fake. Her lightsaber cost about $125 from the Custom Saber Shop. Even the cheapest sabers from www.ultrasabers.com will come in about about $40-60. And my friend's outfit is still not finished- she has yet to find boots that come up past her ankles, and she needs a belt pouch as well- I might be able to talk her into a bag kit that Tandy has on sale this month, and can be modded to hang from a belt. That will end up costing around $40 most likely. So for a costume that looks better than Halloween garb and has all of its accessories, figure on more like $2-300 to put together, unless you already have a lightsaber, belt, or boots in your possession. Note that costuming groups like the 501st and Sith Order don't accept the cheap $25 Hasbro sabers as props.

5. bfarve18

bfarve18 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2009
    well would anyone be able to help me make revan then

6. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    www.theflagshipeclipse.com would be the place to go for Revan. Their forum has a section completely devoted to that character, you can find it here:

http://theflagshipeclipse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=4ab931798f04c3030ec90bf449b747fd

They have descriptions of the costume, standards which it has to meet in order to be accepted by the 501st, and lots of threads where people who have made or are making this costume have posted a LOT of info.
    Hope that helps, and good luck:)

7. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Making a Revan costume is going to cost you a LOT more than $20, probably more than 10X that, if you want it to be accurate enough for the 501st.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just showing you reality.

8. madhorizons

madhorizons Jedi Master star 3

May 10, 2006
    Unless you make a lot of the parts yourself, you're probably going to be over $400 for a decent Revan.

9. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ugh, why did you revive this old thread? If you look at his profile, the kid hasn't logged back on for over a month. Just let his threads die. If he ever comes back he can revive them himself.

If a thread has fallen off the first page, it's not active anymore.

10. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Very true, if you don't make most of the stuff yourself, you spending some bucks for this one. I one day will have to finish my Revan voyage and complete the costume. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.