main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Need help, making a decision

Discussion in 'Community' started by QuiWanKenJin, Aug 27, 2017.

1. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    I am in a difficult situation and I was hoping someone might be able to help me. Here is the situation, I have a good friend of mine who chose to give me his parents Xfinity email and password, he told me it was so that I could watch channels that I don't have in my subscription, that I could just log in via the streaming apps for those channels. I thanked him, but something sounded fishy to me. So, I asked him if his parents were okay with this. He said they didn't like him giving it out but he trusts me. My friend has put me in a difficult situation. If I use the log in he gave me, watch what I wanted to see and then log out, would his parents be able to tell that their account was accessed by someone else? I asked this, he didn't know. I don't know what to do. On the one hand, what my friend did was very generous. But on the other hand I wouldn't want to do anything to get him or me in trouble with his parents. Can anyone answer this question? [face_dunno]

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I commend your conscientiousness about this issue.

I think one way to resolve it might be to tell your friend that you only feel comfortable watching those programs with him. It's an activity you'll mutual enjoy, and will also side-step ethical questions since he'll be the one accessing his parents' account rather than you.

Sarge, Juliet316, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Watch the show. It's not that big of a dilemma.

MrMojoRisin and SuperWatto like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You're not taking money out of their pockets. If it's just the one show and you're not hogging the account (I think most steaming has a limit of two screens at a time), it's fine. The streaming site and the cable provider definitely would know if someone logged in from a different IP address, but I doubt the parents check that even if the information is readily available to customers.

Also this is a bad place for advice. Who knows what I, an internet person, could have said?

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    My only advice is do the opposite of whatever Wocky says at any given point.

6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    go do a bad thing and see how that feels

then do what you described

if it feels like when you did the bad thing

don't do it

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The other piece of advice is that Game of Thrones is a pretty terrible TV show so even if it was your own Xfinity account you would probably feel bad after watching it.

8. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Getting into trouble is how people learn. You want your friend to learn a lesson, don't you? This is a teachable moment.

Watch your program, then rat on him to his parents.

9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Alcohol! Nudity! Preferably both!

Wait...what are we talking about again?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    VLM's Google history?

//crowd applauds

11. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I'd do it and not worry about it. If this thing has a "history" of viewed content, like YouTube, they might see someone else been watching something other than them, but they'll probably just assume it was their son ;)

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Show the watch.
    Then parent on his rats.

13. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Three things. First, I read your post and it sounds to me that he already told his parents that he has given out the login and they aren't happy about it. Second, upgrade your own subscription if you want access to more channels, don't sponge off others. Third get a job or a better job if you can't afford to upgrade your subscription. You are in Trump America now. Bootstraps!

FatBurt, Sarge and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The fact that you're here asking this question tells me that you're not comfortable with the situation. So if you took advantage of your friend's offer, you'd be uncomfortable watching the show, and you wouldn't enjoy it as much as you ought to. So do the right thing and lose the password.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The fact that you're here asking this question tells me that you're comfortable with the situation. So if you took advantage of your friend's offer, you'd be comfortable watching the show, and you'd enjoy it as much as you ought to. So do the right thing and use the password.

SuperWatto likes this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    also, **** Comcast XFinity with a rusty spoon

anything you can do to stick it to them is morally acceptable

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Including...murder?

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    murder wouldn't technically stick it to them

they'd continue charging the deceased for the four cable boxes and rented modem that he/she turned in two years ago

CT-867-5309 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, say that you get fired from your job for gross misconduct. To help makes ends meet, and because you can now get work no better than the worst prison parolees, you get a job as a cocktail waiter for a catering party.

At one of these parties, things are winding down and there is this one annoying drunk dude, you know the kind, laughing at his own unfunny jokes, doesn't know when to stop drinking.

Anyway, it turns out this is none other than Dave Watson, President and CEO of Xfinity. Your eyes are glazing over as he talks, but then he catches your attention when he says he wants to tell you a secret. He says he has a way to double shareholder profits while screwing over consumers a little more, but it's a bullet-proof scheme. He says it's a secret known only to him how it will be done, but he intends to tell the board first thing Monday morning.

So, do you stick it to Xfinity by eliminating Dave Watson?

heels1785 likes this.
  20. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    ^^ This. Quit worrying, suck it up and do it.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Diggy hell no, sounds like a golden blackmail opportunity. threaten to run this scheme straight to the failing new york times.

no monthly installments. lump sum, straight cash homey

22. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    are there any other of your friend's parents' private accounts that you can get login credentials for? What you want to shoot for ultimately is bank account access, but an Amazon Prime account is also golden. What if you could get Whole Foods discounts, just by way of one example.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    And you told me to get a ****ing Netflix subscription!

Diggy likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pose as your friend, and hang out with his parents while watching the shows.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

This is the advice you want to listen to. If you listen to Wocky's advice, you'll be asking about the waters of your friend's homeworld before you know it, and probably slaughtering his entire family as if they were "worthless" Yemeni civilians by way of drone strikes.

Also he probably thinks you're talking about watching Collateral Beauty or Wild, Wild West.