main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need help with Lightsaber Hilt ideas/designs

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Ok, well, as most of you know, Codepoet and I are re-shooting the final scene of our fanfilm sometime in the near future. That means we need to get busy on the props. I want our lightsabers to look more sleek and futuristic than the lightsaber you see now. Cause our fanfilm takes place like 12 years after ROTJ. So, I fleshed out a quick rendering in Photoshop. Let me know what you think. And PLEASE offer suggestions on what would be a cool and stylish twist on a lightsaber hilt. The prop picture on the page is the one that I MYSELF would use. We are not going for the traditional look here.

PixelMagic's Lightsaber Prop

2. robo_obi

robo_obi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    thats really cool....i like it

y'know the little prong thingy on dooku's saber? well if you stretch that out a bit and put three of them around the emitter that could make it look more sleek or something.......

just a suggestion

i have a saber that is partially done (in paint shop pro)....if you want it...say so and i'll finish it up and post it here

3. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Looks pretty much like a blend between QG and someone elses. I drew a design and thenn made a loft in MAX, they're great if your saber design never goes back on itself, meaning that the grooves and dents are straightforward. Check out my design here:

[image=http://www.iespana.es/djUvedoble/saber.jpg]

I'd be happy to supply you with a design plus the max and texture files. Anything to help out a fellow MAXer, foo' ;)

Carl

4. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    I thought Count Dooku's saber was pretty slick.

In fact, I think Lucas has made a aesthetic error in designing his prequel saber hilts the way he has ...
    because now the OT saber hilts are the ones that look "old school". ;)

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Carl, that saber sure would hurt clipped on to a belt :)

JediTAC, I thinkthat was part of GL's GRAND design :p

Technology went downward after the Empire. That is except for the empire :)

Then again you can just think what Lukes would have looked like if it was these movies just now...

Oh and Pixel...what did you think of Kyle Katarns from JK2?

6. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    [scurries for an excuse]

Erm... ha-HA! But not if they are retractable spikes! :D

Carl

7. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    I agree with you TAC but when you think about it...theres not alot of jedi in OT so there isn't really room for some slick lightsabers....theres just vader, luke and obi-wan.....but luke's second lightsaber is really slick...I THINK

8. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    I know this has been mentioned before but how about a wristguard? Not that it would be any help but hey! Looks cool! :) What are you looking for exactly, Pixel? Stuff that actually is used for something or more decorational? I have very good idea on my hands, will try to get it done this afternoon. N'case your wondeing, tis 5 PM here, so, afternoon... go figure.

What about a handle coming slightly outta the side and going down? Like a sort of Pen clip, lol. "Clip you saber to your upper jacket pocket" :D

As I mentioned before, I have an idea, but maybe tricky to pull off on film. I'll keep you updated anyways...

Carl, MAX freak

9. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    ::bump::

Keep an eye on this thread, Pixel, or anyone who is interested, the saber is due in the next hour or so...

Carl

10. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    I just though I'd take this opportunity to flaunt my custom made saber. :p

http://tdct-digital.com/images/saber1d.jpg

11. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
  12. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought Count Dooku's saber was pretty slick.

Yeah, I'm just afraid we'll be seeing a plethora of these "bent" sabers in fan films with the same crappy lightsaber fighting style as the unbent ones (i.e. none at all).

Dooku's saber needed to be bent because of the way he fought with it. The three sections went, from pommel up, along his forearm, bending at the wrist and laying flat against his hand, and bending again with his fingers to lay flat against them. Much more control of it, much more "fencing" style.

SO, since you asked for ideas, I would say think about the fighting style you plan to utilize with the saber you're trying to design. It may require (or at least benefit from) an unusual design.

M. Scott

13. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    *drumroll*

Okay I finally finished it. I guess it turned out OK. Even if it DOES look a bit like a 1/4 Jack plug :D

[image=http://www.iespana.es/djUvedoble/saber2.jpg]

By the way, where you can see the blade through the saber, there is some transparisteel covering it so that you can hold it over that area without getting burnt. Just not very visible, that's all...

*cymbal crash*

So, what do you think?

Carl

EDIT: As I mentioned previously, this would be just decorational and also very tricky to rotoscope if you ever end up using a prop of it...

EDIT 2: FOund a mistake, so I'm adding another lil' detail. Final version up shortly...

EDIT 3: Pic posted :)

14. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    ::bump:: edit's don't do the trick ;)

lraC

15. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    awesome saber carl. maybe since transparistell is sort of dark you could just put a green light down there insread of a blade.

i think you should do a real sword-like hilt for your movie. maybe some fancy medieval sort of hilt.

16. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Pixel's movie. If that's what you meant, disregard. Thx, btw :D

Carl

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    (YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAG AND DROP THE LINKS INTO YOUR ADDRESS BAR)

I suppose Ill post my designs, two of them are already assigned to people in my script so. . .

Monolith Saber

and

Volition Saber

I made FOR characters in my script

But

Zenith Saber

and

Entium Saber

you can borrow. Entium's design what somewhat borrowed from some cool hilts I saw in the mall one day, on some futuristic asian swords.

I would also be glad you help you design one more specificly for a character, but Its nice to know the character first.

- Venardhi

18. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    "...without getting burnt."

Lightsabres don't emit heat ;)

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    No, but they do burn/incinerate stuff that touches the blade, Thus, if there was a section of the hilt where you could see the blade, as in his design, touching the blade would still do dammage.

20. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    For the curious , Venardhi be talkin about the Samurai 3000 series.

M. Scott

21. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Wow those are good designs guys. I've made tons of sketches for my movie, and I leaned heavly on existing models, but those are very well done.

I'll post my three sometime :)

Justin

22. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Since we're playing "Here's my saber"...

[image=http://www.zenvideo.net/ryan_w/temp/saberz.jpg]

:)

M. Scott

23. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Dang! D'you make those yerself, DMS?
    It's fun to see the different styles and also presentation methods. Some photoshop, some CG, some real.
    Doesn't anyone else have any sabers done in CG? I'd really like to see them!

Carl

24. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Are those custome machined Scott?

I like that groove concept (3rd from right)...hmmmmm

again very cool!

Justin

25. Carl_el_cee

Jun 9, 2002
    Okay I managed to get hold of the "other" pic, so here's the "collection":