main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Need Immediate Help!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by NewspaperJedi, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewspaperJedi

NewspaperJedi Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2003
    Hey Fans,
    I'm a reporter with The National Post writing a story about some new census data that was released today.
    According to Statistics Canada, approximate 20,000 Canadians put "Jedi" down under Religion in the 2001 Census.
    I need to speak to someone who did this, whether they are true adherents of the Jedi Religion, or whether they did it as a joke.
    My number is (416) 383-2353, or you can email me at knestruck@nationalpost.com with your number.
    I'm filing the story around six PM (EST), so I need to speak to someone before then.
    Thanks for your help!

2. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    I would also be interested in knowing how many people here on the boards responded to the census with the response of Jedi...

...I know I was counted on the census, but I do not remember being asked any questions...

3. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Cool Article! :D

I never knew that so many people claimed "Jedi" as there religion...

An astonishing 20,000 Canadians declared themselves to be followers of the religion of Jedi, the guardians of peace and justice in the Star Wars flicks, Statistics Canada reported Tuesday in the latest, and final, data to come from the 2001 census.
    The Jedi gag is the latest in a global census trend that has left some statisticians red-faced as the number of Jedis has eclipsed some centuries-old religions. In the U.K., for example, there are more Jedis than Jews. Nearly 400,000 people identified themselves as Jedi in the 2001 census. Only 260,000 said they were Jewish. The Jedis seemed to be concentrated in England and Wales. Just last year, the Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that more than 70,000 people named Jedi as their faith.

The high response rate can be traced to an e-mail that told people the government would be forced to recognize Jedi as an official religion if enough people identified themselves as followers. "Whether Jedi becomes a new category in the classification will depend more on other criteria, such as the existence of a formal organization structure rather than the number of responses,'' John Struik, Australia's census manager, said at the time.

Half the Jedis in Canada were in B.C., with the rest in Ontario and Alberta

4. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Well, that excludes all of us Maritimers. I guess the Force isn't so strong out here. ;)

5. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Ah! That is absolutely amazing! Can I be a Christian Jedi? ;)

And I know I didn't fill anything out. I'm not Canadian...yet... ;)

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I was a minor when the census was taken. :p

7. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    Wow - thats funny :D ... wonder if anyone put down Sith 0_o lol.

8. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Well I would like to put my religion as Jedi. But if i did that , I would be considered an infidel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.