main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Need info about making a WWII fan film [please help]

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Hey everyone. I will be starting production of a short World War II film based around one fictional battle.
    If anyone has any links to sites that i should check out about creating realistic combat scenes. creating war effects and all that. Help would be extremely appreciated. :)

2. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    *bump*
    come on guys, i really could do with some help

3. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Go to upressplay.com

My brother just made a WWII short film titled '2 Days in Limbo' and all of the behind the scenes stuff and his email address are posted there. The name you're looking for is Dan Pico.

Hope he can help you.

4. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    2 Days in Limbo, that is a very good name!

OT - Is there such thing as a WWII fan film? I am not quite sure there are 'fans' of WWII even though there are many people like me who gobble up every bit of info on the history channel, play the best wargames such as the Close Combat series (and soon its sequel series GI Combat) and read all the best books. I still would not call myself nor others a WWII 'fan'.

5. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    1. Watch Saving Private Ryan on DVD. Study it.

2. Find someone who was in the army. Someone from WWII would be better, but that may be hard.

If you don't know anyone, go by a national guard depot or recruiting office, tell them what you're doing and ask for some technical consulting help.

6. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    Supposedly, for his war epic "Amblin'", Steven Speilberg placed a pile of dirt on a see-saw and had someone launch it into the air while he filmed. That was an explosion. There are all sorts of tricks to making combat movies, and you should watch as many war movies as possible. For one, your actors need, repeat, need to get dirty. Throw dirt and gravel on them, have them crawl in the sand and mud.

I've been thinking about this too, since in my Star Wars fan film, I have a similiar scene that takes place early in the story.

7. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Agreed with whispering death.
    Anybody who's a "Fan" of war doesn't understand it. I would call it "A WWII Independent Film", if I were you.

In fact... I just got an idea for a story for that, combined with the fact that "No one loves peace more than a soldier"

(grabs his idea and runs)

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Thanks for the help... it was actually "Escape to nowhere" when Spielberg used the dirt on the plank of wood.... he called it the mud trick

9. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Amblin wasn't a war film.It was about friends hitchiking across the country.

10. SamS

SamS Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    My bad, I've never seen it. I just remember watching a special about "Saving Private Ryan" and they mentioned it. Sometimes (but not often), I get my movies mixed up.

War is hell.

11. LordBender

LordBender Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 2002
    and were can the movie '2 days in limbo' been seen?

12. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    '2 Days in Limbo' isn't complete as of yet. Last I heard it's still being editied and mixed. It will be posted on upressplay.com when it's finished. There are however some extras from the film on the site already, like a behind the scenes documentary and maybe a trailer. Keep checking that site to find out when the film will be posted.

If you want to see what my brother is capable of doing, watch his other film 'Spoils' on the same site... it's a real winner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.