*Need Music Advice for a Short*

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by elemental_fantasy, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. elemental_fantasy Jedi Master

star 4
    I am making a small movie about 1 - 2 minutes long about the destruction of mankind. (nuclear war or a meteor destroying stuff)I want to add some good music, but am at a loss, most of what I want to add is too familiar, any advice on what I could look into please?

P.S. Lookin for the Gregson-Williams Armageddon Style. Sad but power full cues. Any soundtrack ideas?
    It's just music and sound FX, so the music needs to be good and stand alone.

Here is a very incomplete GIF I made from a shot in progress to kinda give you an idea.
    [image=http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z265/elemental_fantasys/all-love-dies.gif]
  2. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Gregson-Williams? So... drab. The extinction of humanity is depicted all the time, but I don't think people have any understanding of what it is.
  3. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Gregson-Williams has had more misses than hits, but a selection from his recent melancholic score to "Gone Baby Gone" might work. You might also try something from John Powell's "United 93" or Michael Giacchino's "Lost" (any season).

All these are fairly low-key, but I'll try to think of some powerful cues as well.
  4. BattousaiCV Jedi Knight

star 1
    Looking at that clip makes me think Sonata Arctica - Destruction Preventer (mostly because it's exactly about nuclear war), but that's not the style you're looking for.

How about Globus - Sarabande Suite?
    http://www.imeem.com/raymondcheah/music/aO8EOhX-/globus_sarabande_suite_aeternae/

(note: hope it's not against the rules to link to imeem)
  5. elemental_fantasy Jedi Master

star 4
    Indeed, and when we do understand, it will be too late...

I have listened over and over again to Sarabande Suite by Globus. [face_whistling] love it!!!
    It's really near perfection for what I am looking for!!! I love the E.S. Posthumus (pythagorian) nature of the cue. Long, and much to cut with and play with, I will roll with that one. Thanks a bunch for your help and advise Batt and Darth. :)
  6. rich-narco Jedi Knight

star 1
    Greggy? PLEASE man - lets start to think out of the box.... YOU'RE the future of film making - can we move away from the cookie cutter? Gregson-Williams is about is innovative in score work as Chris Lord-Alge is in making an interesting sounding rock record. Making indie shorts is about development and doing something different - think harder, think different.

Sorry to be so rude and blunt.... but this is an area I work in (soundtracks) and I'm sooooo dissapointed by the number of Zimmer, Gregson-Williams and (even worse) Newton-Howard clones. Zimmer has some light of being innovative but man.... look into shakers like Giacchino, John Murphys "Sunshine" soundtrack or look into Clint Mansells "The fountain". In fact that might JUST have the right balance of what your story (from the nice GIF you supplied) might benefit from.
  7. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    How about something completely out there? Upbeat, energetic music for the end of the world?
  8. Cellist Jedi Master

star 4
  9. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  10. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    100% agreed.
  11. andy1044 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Ehh...John Murphy is a little too cookie cutter for me.
  12. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    James Newton Howard clones? Alan Williams comes to mind, but outside of him I'm having trouble thinking of anyone else.
  13. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    Be a composer first. Make a mental recording of what points you want to emphasize. Have a good idea of what you want, than go search for it. Don't try to search for the perfect piece without knowing exactly what you want. You'll waste a lot of time. Sometimes you'll have to look into some obscure places for music. The classical world is full of beautiful music depicting similar events. Solo instruments do well to kind of wrap the feeling of loneliness. Another technique is playing against the visuals. There are many times when the action on screen is heavy, but the music takes over and is perhaps a very simple melancholy hymn. A bit of irony, but very useful.

Don't neglect the power of silence either, especially if your visuals are strong enough to hold themselves (Which is a strong consideration in the matter). Sometimes there are things powerful enough that they can't be spoken in any language, including music.

~Drew
  14. rich-narco Jedi Knight

star 1
    And yet you love Newton-Howard! IMHO - The high priest of bland and lazy.....

name me ONE other composer who has done stuff like 28 days later and Sunshine ( look at the chords in sunshine and look at the fractalesque note shifts - I admit it, i'm biased - i wuz there!!)...... In these s/tracks he's more allied with Nyman and Glass than Zimmers babies... and I DO know that these textures are where his heart lies - not in the money earnings of Basic Instink 2 !!

Yes he's done some dross, but lets stick to the specific recommendations I made. Even Steve Reich has done middle of the road !!

15. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    I can't imagine anyone calling James Newton Howard bland or lazy. I can understand someone not caring for his music, but I would be interested in hearing some more elaboration. Signs, The Village, Unbreakable, Wyatt Earp, The Postman, Atlantis, and Snow Falling on Cedars are anything but bland and lazy.
  16. rich-narco Jedi Knight

star 1
    well - sure I understand your point. But I'm a real opposer of the "sample library" fraternity. If I hear another JNH piece with StormDrums or other loops in it i'll go mad.

Secondly - whilst i love some of the movies you just mentioned, the music for Unbreakable and The Village are cheap sample library heaven (albeit with some overdubs) and , are quie lazy in orchestration. It's block moving chords all the way..... for me - this doesnt reflect th (moderately) interesting messages within the movies. The music in "Signs" is terrible.... such an interesting simple music with mock horror pastiche. So yes, bland, lazy and unimaginitive.... the soundtrack equivalent of "Nickleback". Sorry - I accept that this is personal opinion, and not a rule.

For even worse fayre - see Blood Diamond, a good movie ruined by cheap sample based score work. These guys have million dollar music budgets - do it better.

Now - Hollywood Africa done better is "Last King of Scotland".

17. DarthAJ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd second Lost as well. Perfect blend of action/suspense, yet does not come off as cheesy. It's got some nice, epic love themes as well. Check out Season 3's OST.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.