main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

need some advice...Gunslinger fanfilm!?!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by General_Rieekan, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    i just got off the phone with a director friend of mine who has decided after reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower that he wants to make a fanfilm adaptation of the book. i advised him not to get ahead of himself and let me at least find out if it was legal. anyone know what the attitude is towards doing a fanfilm based on a novel by Stephen King. my buddy is extremely enthusiastic and has already started scouting locations, so i think hes ready to put some effort into this.

i just wanna know if im gonna get my butt sued off if we try doing this project...

2. TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF

TAAKIN_GRAND-MOFF Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2004
    hmmm well if you BASE it off the book and dont use any names or exact objects from the books you should be ok... That and of course the title and stephen kings name

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    i just wanna know if im gonna get my butt sued off if we try doing this project...

Stephen King has a "dollar deal" policy where he will allow any student filmmaker to make a film out of a short story after paying a dollar for the rights -- BUT NOT THE NOVELS.

King is VERY protective of his DT series (it's the center of everything he's created) and you'll probably receive a C&D from his lawyers if word gets out about it.

Plus I'm working on my own adaptation of the series, so don't make me take out a hit on you. ;)

Let your friend know that to truly understand the Dark Tower series thus far, even to start with the Gunslinger, he needs to read ALL of the following volumes by Stephen King:

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (1982 version)
    The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (2003 version)
    The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (soon to have a 2004 version)
    The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands (soon to have a 2004 version)
    The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
    The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
    The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (Coming in June)
    The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (Coming in Sept)

And then the DT-related novels that explain things the core novels do not:

Insomnia
    IT
    The Stand
    'Salem's Lot
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    Rose Madder
    Desperation
    The Regulators (as Richard Bachman)
    Bag of Bones
    The Talisman
    Black House
    From a Buick 8
    Skeleton Crew
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Everything's Eventual

And I hope he's been watching "Kingdom Hospital."

He's got a lot of reading to do. ;)

M. Scott

4. General_Rieekan

Feb 5, 2004
    thanks guys, i kinda had a feeling that it wasnt gonna fly. if theres a whole dollar deal thing on the short stories, maybe i can talk my friend into doing something else...

as for the hit Dorkman, this aint my idea, but if you want to, i get you an address on that, LOL!!!

:D

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    King's got a LOT of good short stories. Frank Darabont started out his career as a "dollar dealer". Check out his short story collections -- if your friend REALLY wants to make a little something about Roland Deschain, check out "The Little Sisters of Eluria" from "Everything's Eventual."

M. Scott

6. General_Rieekan

Feb 5, 2004
    its interesting that you mentioned The Little Sisters Of Eluria Dorkman, because that was one of my suggestions to my friend. hes pretty bummed out that the whole Gunslinger thing isnt doable, but hes already brainstorming on some other King-related short story ideas. i have a feeling ive not heard the last of it from him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.