main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Need stuff, advice, and/or general help

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Sounds like it could be the individual component has a problem of some sort, which could be overheating.
    Usually when I've got Galaxies running I only have the temp and UPS monitoring programs running as my housemate is usually running SWG on his system, through mine on the ADSL link. If it's 35-36 outside then it's usually time to logout for a while, as the CPU temp will climb if you have a lot of the graphics settings turned up.

Edit: The pc monitoring program I have came on the driver disc for the motherboard, so you should be able to find some freeware around on the net if you can't find Soups discs.

2. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I don't know if this means anything, but it seems to be locking up less often now that I've got a different mouse hooked up to it. I've got a Microsoft Optical atm, just something to use until I can get the mouse I want. But yeah, it's locking up a lot less often now. Coincedence, perhaps...

And after moving, my monitor is playing up a lot less as well *shh!! Don't say that too loud! It might hear you!*

3. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    Those 2 could be to do with a cleaner/more stable power supply in the house ie better neighbourhood power :)

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Ok, I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but do I ever when it comes to computers?

New problem. More of an annoyance actually. We have Soup's computer hooked up to the TV so we can watch DVDs through it. There's no problems doing that, but the problem we have is the area outside of the movie bit (see screenshot for what I mean) changes colour. It won't stay black. It gets really annoying because for each different shot we get a varying shade of green or, if we're really lucky, black.

Is there any way to make it stay black? Why isn't it black in the first place? Any ideas anyone? It's always black if we view it on the monitor (I think). But as soon as it's on the TV it goes green. The screenshot was taken from the monitor, obviously :)

[image=http://members.iinet.net.au/~teleute/Gloomie_Misc/screenshot.jpg]

Oh, and incase you're wondering what the screenshots from. It's from the new Spiderman 2 trailer. I have no idea where Soup downloaded it from, but it's worth a look.

5. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Ok.. Hmm.. weird.. questions:

What program are you using to play the videos? For outputting to TV I found powerDVD seems to work flawlessly while WMP is a bunch of garbage..

What video card is it? is the video out (tv section) setup in the advanced display options?

Other than that, check your connections, try a different videocard etc etc

6. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    The only answer I know to your questions is we're using WinFast DVD which came with the graphics card, from what I understand.

Also, if it helps at all, we don't generally clone the desktop onto the TV (so everything that is on the desktop shows on the TV - start menu etc). We expand it (so only the background is visible and we drag what we want to watch across to it). Maybe that makes a difference as well.

As far as I can remember, there was a problem trying to watch stuff when we were using PowerDVD, but I can't remember. I'm sure Soup'll confirm/deny/answer questions when he gets home from work tomorrow morning.

7. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Hmm.. well definately I would check to see if theres a setup with TV options.. if its a nvidia based card, Im sure there is.. you can set it up to output to tv directly with WMP.. which should work..

8. MisFitToy

MisFitToy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 5, 2003
    I think Power DVD has a background colour setting? I think you could check that.
    and onto a similar problem: I installed an updated graphics card driver, and I lost the ability to clone onto a TV out, it's a 64 mb geforce 4 by ASUS, any ideas?

9. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Revert to an older driver? See if you can clone it then..

*cough*Thinking of maybe selling my Triplex Ti4600 too, another possible solution*cough* Mmmmm, silver..

Anyhoo, erm... Try an older version of the drivers (say 44.03 or something) should have tv clone in there

[Edit] Actually just thinking about it, asus usually couple specific, or custom made programs to thier cards.. it didnt come with anything like that?

10. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    See below message because I didn't realise this had actually worked because my computer froze.

11. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Does anyone use Outlook Express? Coz I kinda stuffed up and sent myself a message with a rather large attachement (damn TAFE and their broadband makeing it easier to do so).

Anyway, I can't download the message through Outlook coz it's taking too damn long and I really need to get the the rest of my messages. I've gone through and deleted the message through iiNet webmail, but Outlook is still trying to download it.

Does anyone know how to skip passed the message?

Also, if anyone wants to come over and make my computer work without crashing, it would be greatly appreciated. Coz this is really getting to me. I am so sick of it.

12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I had this problem yesterday FaLLeN-AnGeL. There is no way around it except for ringing up your ISP and letting them know the problem so they can purge the large e-mail.

Does anyone know of a place in Perth that exchanges Australian Dollars into US Dollars? I would of thought my local bank could do it but they can't.

13. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hey, you can cash aussie $$ for US $$ at the Commonwealth Bank in the City, Ive done it there a few times... they told me to ring ahead once, but It depends on how much you wish to change... So just wanted to throw that one at ya.... (i hope they still do it, its been a while)

14. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    When I used to work for the R&I (yes it was a looong time ago) any large amounts were preordered from head office to give them time to collect it up. As suggested, try the City branches.
    Failing that give Thomas Cook- I think they're called Travelex now- a call and they should be able to help.. if not with cash then travellers cheques which are a bit safer.

15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Ok thanks for your help guys.

16. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    They accept monopoly money in the US, no really!
    Just send me the amount of money you want to swap for US monopoly funds, and i'll send it to you. i won't even charge a fee :D

17. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Just putting feelers out atm, these are not for sure yet, but I have both a Triplex Ti4600 (mmm, silver) and a Asus Radeon 9600XT, both 128mb.. Im thinking of putting them up for sale.. would anyone here be interested?

18. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Yes, very much so, do they have TV out?

19. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Sorry to butt in, but does anyone have a copy of Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 that I could borrow?

20. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Hmm, I think I might know someone with it fA, but getting hold of this person might be a problem.. I'll try though

And yes, Both cards have VIVO, Never tried the Radeon, as its brand spankin' new.. (bought by a friend over-seas about a week ago) But I used to watch dvds on TV through the Triplex..

Will find out today what exactly is selling and how much..

21. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    in that case i'd apreciate first refusal :)

22. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I might be interested in whichever one MFT doesn't take.

23. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Jawa, don't worry about that copy of VC++ I managed to get a copy off someone else. Thanks anyway.

24. MisFitToy

Jan 5, 2003
    Any word yet on those video cards?

25. Stinky_jawa

Dec 7, 2000
    Well the Ti4600 seems to be ok to sell, but the other may be another triplex Ti4600, or the radeon 9600, more news as it comes to hand...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.