main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Need stuff, advice, and/or general help

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Does anyone know anything about Linux?

I'm thinking of setting up a distro of it on my old 133mhz with 16MB RAM but I don't know which versions would run on it. I'd want a distro with a GUI as well since I'm not a fan of command line and also a version that is freely downloadable.

Can anyone help me out?

2. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I've installed a couple of Linux distros but I always seemt to end up with at least one bit of hardware that I can't get working. Be prepared for a lot of frustrating times.

3. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Well I've given up on it now anyway since none of the distros I downloaded and burnt are booting up on the 133.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Okay, this maybe should've gone in the "Knighthood" thread, but does anyone know any real cheapo fabric salesmen and/or building materials wholesalers?

(I'm going to go take a look on eBay, but just in case someone had some ideas...I'm looking for lotsa earth tones for the fabrics and lots of chipboard for the building materials) ;)

5. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Clare'd know some decently priced fabric suppliers, and WA salvage is about as cheap as it gets for those kind of materials.

6. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    More like got stuff than need stuff, but anyway.

A friend is looking to sell his monitor.

It's a ADI 19 inch monitor.

Asking price is $250, feel free to P.M. me for any more details.

7. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm after a copy of the PC Game, Giants. Anyone have it for sale? ;)

8. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    I've been working on the Knighthood web page and we've gotten some cool stuff to put up there now. Namely a web documentary and a sabre test. These are quite cool but there are problems involved. For some reason IE won't let you download the files, it downloads them itself and they proceeds to play them in the browser. This is just stupid.

Also, we want to have a download tracker so that we know how many people are downloading the files (obviously)... But I have had very little luck finding an easy-to-use script. I'm not much of a web-monkey. I can make a pretty decent looking web page, but when it comes to scripting stuff for it I'm at a loss. I found this place online that provides a download tracker for you. Basically you add a link to their server and they give you another link that is the one that people use to download. It does track how many downloads the file has received, but it has pop-up windows and stuff which are just crap and ugly.

If anyone out there in Internet Land can point me in the direction of a decent, easy-to-use script that tracks the statistics of downloads it would be greatly appreciated. Likewise anyone who can help me work out a way around the bug of IE loading the movie in itself instead of letting you download it. Other than using a different browser I mean...

9. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    whether the file opens in the browser or not should be a user setting - not a fault of yours.

the users' browser is set to open it in the browser, and if its a mov it does that anyway.

so i dont know what you can do about it.

10. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    You could post a direct link to the file instead of a script, and leave a note above it saying something like: "To save, right click the link and select save as..."

11. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hey,

Sith, we thought about just putting a link like that, but we wanna monitor how many people download it.. Its just a matter of figuring out how to use what we have at the moment, but get it to have the option to save it.. or find something better that works :/

Im hunting, and so is Fallen-Angel... so if anyone comes across anything please PM Fallen-Angel

12. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Used to have a program you could put in urls etc for pages which hosted videofiles that were done on a mms: thingy, was very handy. Like a download manager program too.

Unfortunately its name eludes me and I cant seem to find it in my backups. H.. hyper-something? something like that, spent 30mins looking for it on google with no luck though.

13. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'm just wondering if anyone has the first one or two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Heard a lot of good things about it recently and would really like to check it out before I decide wether or not it is worth buying.

14. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Yup, send a disc my way if you want to see the first few eps before you buy...

15. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    That would be great buddy, what format are they in, just out of curiousity.

16. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    They're in AVI (Windows Media Player) format.

17. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Got some in .divx format, Crystal clear. Just a shame I've never found it locally on dvd. Wouldnt mind seeing the movie too, the series just leaves it hanging on a mind-bender of an episode.

18. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Whats the most convenient way to get a disk to you buddy ?

Want me to drop around sometime, or if your out this way visiting Dan I could meet you there, or here.

Whatever is easier for you.

SJ, if you know anyonewith foxtel, the movie (end of evangelion) is on sometime this month, the 21st I think. I'm going to try and get a copy, will keep you posted.

19. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Drop it round, that way I can just burn it for you and you have it there and then.

Do you still work at the same place? I'm about a 2 min drive from there, if you wanna do that, I'll PM you the address, and we can sort a time I'll actually be home.

20. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I still work at the same place, they tried to get rid of me but I hide so well they can't find me to tell me.

P.M. me and I'll see you then dude.

21. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Does anyone know how to get old software (like police quest, ufo-enemy unknown) to work on xp, with sound would be good too.

I got police quest to work by playing straight from disk, but got no sound.

Have been unable to get UFO to work though.

Any thoughts ?????

22. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Sound is always the hard part. I've seena few programs that supposedly get sound working on old DOS games but had no luck with any of them. The only way I've been able to play old games is by installing DOS & win95 on an old PC I was given.

23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Okay two questions then.

1) What specs would people recommend if I were going to build a bare ass system for putting windows 95 and these old games on ?

2) Does anyone have any old bits that they are willing to sell or whatever so that I might build such a bare ass system ?

24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    With older games, I just install them normally, setup the .exe file in the directory using the compatibility wizard to make Windows XP think it's running the game under either Windows 98 or Windows 95. Works everytime :)

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Doesn't work with all games.
    For an old PC to run those games an old 486 would do. Thne sort of machine you could grab for $50. An old Pentium is even better of course. Check around and see if any businesses/schools are ready to replace old PCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.