1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Brisbane (11th-13th November), Adelaide (18th-20th November)

Oz Comic Con: 2017

FF:WA Need stuff, advice, and/or general help

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by FaLLeN-AnGeL, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Go Windows MCE! (really, really fast)

I heard some rumours about Vista though, that its going to have adverts that stream from the net, on the loading screens? That just sounds stupid. Talk about unwanted 'windows certified' spam.

There's no Cyberlink Power DvD for winxp 64 Grizz?

Alternatively, try going to download.com and going through some freeware programs etc, see if anything runs better? Quite happy to run 64 bit cpu on a 32bit platform until there's a real reason to do it, just sounds like a headache.

Could also be your videocards Mpeg2 decoder, if it isnt already, update graphics drivers, codecs (if there are any winxp 64 specific ones). Other than that no clues.
  2. Grizzly Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I found a 30 day trial copy of Power DVD so I'll give that a whirl first before forking out for it. Interactual just outright refuses to work, even though x64 is supposed to run 32 programs under emulator.
    I haven't seen this many lockups/ blue screens since Win ME!!
    Also running 81.89(from memory) x64 nVidia driver set with the latest nForce4 x64 chipset drivers.

Have to wait a couple of weeks until I can really suss it out again [face_plain]
  3. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    My poor PC has been sufferring a lot lately, so we are going to be reformatting it very soon (as soon as I finish backing everything up). I wanted to know about any malicious viruses that attack your computer as soon as you reconnect to the net.

There used to be one floating around a few years ago (I forget what it was called) that would install itself to your computer as soon as you connect and then it would reboot your computer every 30secs or something. Is that thing still around? Where can I get the protection from it? Are there any others that I should look out for?

Norton is going to be one of the first things I install, but I seem to recall that that wasn't enough protection for the malicious little bastard.
  4. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Install a free firewall (or keep the windows one on, but I dont like the windows firewall), before connecting to the internet and you should be fine. I usually install with my router connected to the pc, but disconnected from the 'net. Virus scanners will help remove things that get on. But if you have a firewall, it stops it from getting on in the first place (unless you put it on or already have it).

My order of installation: Windows, M/Board Drivers, Firewall, Graphics/sound and then Virus scanner. Then I connect to the internet to do other updates/programs. You could get away with connection after a firewall if you needed to have an internet connection before installing other things.

Unless you have data carried over from the last installation that you suspect has a virus, you should should be fine with installing a virus scanner last.

I think though, that you shouldnt be connected to the internet until at least after Windows has finished installation (so that its firewall is setup ready to protect) or until after you have another firewall in place.
  5. Grizzly Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Ad-Aware from Lavasoftusa.com is another one to put on after a virus scanner.
    Free for personal use, it finds nasty stuff that buries itself in the registry as well as data mining cookies etc. Also automatically updates it definition files whenever you decide to run it- it's not one that runs in the background automatically.
  6. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Stinky, can you recommend a free firewall? I don't think we've even got the windows one turned on at the moment :)

I'm not worried about my stuff that's already here having a virus, I was just worried if that little bastard of a virus was still out there.

Grizz, cheers for that, I'll check it out. I used to use a program called NoAdware, but it wasn't that great so I gave up.
  7. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sygate 5.6 - Best software firewall I've used. No longer made free, this last version (5.6) is free for Personal use (no company's etc). Set it to 'normal' and any program or service that attempts to communicate out will pop up a box. Say yes or no, (select the remember tick for programs used a lot) and you're off. Initially you might get the firewall box every program, but once a rule is 'remembered' it wont pop up again for it. After few hours you wont get any questions unless you do something new. Or unless the executable changes. Eg: a patch that alters a file, or a virus that alters a file to pretend it's something else so it can try broadcasting.

This isnt a replacement for advert popup blockers or virus scanners, but its a darn good firewall.

If you want to see what kind of information gets through with/without a firewall, try Shields up!, this 3rd party website probes your PC for information (not kept info, just open ports, messenger services, common back-door access ports etc etc). With Sygate on, it gets nothing.

Anyway, not like I work for them or something.
  8. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Cheers dude, I'll download it now and give it a go.
  9. Ivo Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Ok I want to get broadband internet, I was wondering which companies are the best.
  10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Bigpond!

I sell it..... carry on!
  11. FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I've heard nothing but good things about iiNet's broadband. Although Kaustin could tell you a hell of a lot more about it than I could considering he works there and we don't even have broadband. :D Plus you know that with the current rate that iiNet is growing, sooner or later they will assimilate every other competitor. [face_laugh]
  12. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I suggest using this handy little: Broadband Calculator.

Put in your location, how much downloads you want, the internet speed, whether you want a coupled phone deal and most importantly how much you want to pay. It will then list the available ISP's and the pricing deals.

However, that aside, I think iiNet is probably the best one for price/speed and level of customer service (I should know). BUT, and I highlight for a reason... Call queue times just tend to be a little long. I mean, if you have a problem and call up, you can sometimes expect to be on hold for upto 40mins before talking with someone.

But if you have no problems (as the majority of customers don't), then I would definately recommend them.

Also be aware, iiNet offers the greatest speeds (I believe) upto 24mb a sec. BUT, you need to combine your home phone and broadband to get it... and they do not guarantee over 1.5mb.. so you can sign up for 24mb, and find your line only does 2mb or somewhere between. It pays to ask them to test it before signing up.
  13. Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Not anymore stinky :)

at the moment there are no calls in the queue....and for lunchtime on a wednesday thats rare!

The queue lengths usually dont go for any longer then about 20minutes during the day.. but if you ring after 5PM expect to wait at least 40minutes... (sometimes less) if you are going to call us saturdays and sundays are best because its always dead :)
  14. soneil Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I was with iiNet for almost 10 years for my dialup account and for web hosting (when I first signed up they were still small enough that Michael Malone answered most of my support emails :) ). A couple of years ago I had a bad run with a succession of serious bungles which screwed things up for me and some of my clients (since I was developing a lot of websites for clients at the time). These included things like my whole domain being cactus for over a month which stuffed around my business a lot. Because of the many years of great service I'd had with them I put up with several bad incidents before I jumped ship to Westnet when I switched to broadband. Never a problem since. Plus the fact that Westnet got me ADSL when iiNet said I couldn't possibly get it.
    As for Telstra, never had anything but bad experience with them, especially when I was doing websites for business who had bigpond web hosting. Absolute bloody nightmare.
  15. Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Crazyness! Wish it was likie that when I was there. (or when I need to call, lol)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.