Amph Neil Gaiman

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by sidious618, May 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Perhaps one of the most respected names in sci-fi now, Gaiman started out writing excellent fiction at a very young age.

Today I just picked up "American Gods" by him. I'm not familiar with much of his other work barring the very good Babylon 5 episode "Day of the Dead."

I'm eagerly awaiting reading "American Gods" and Neil's other works.
  2. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

We've got a Gaimon thread, I think. I found a sample of his writing to be distinctively "American." By that I mean, the old way of calling appliances by brandnames, and voicing the style in a . . . it's not easy to explain right. Looked either comcial or corny, couldn't decide which, but I've seen it before.
  3. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Gaiman is actually English according to Wikipedia.

Also, I searched the thread index and there is no official thread that I could find.
  4. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I love Gaiman's works, especially American Gods. Great story, and a really amazing book.
    Didn't know that he did a B5 episode, I thought that JMS did all those.
    He also did the essays in Sim City, way back.
  5. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I feel like such a newbie when people talk about Neil Gaiman's works. All I've read so far is 1602.

Right. There's a thread about Sandman, though.
  6. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Read American Gods. Really good book.
  7. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
  8. ezekiel22x Force Ghost

star 4
    You haven?t read Gaiman until you?ve read The Sandman comics. All of them.

One of the few recent endeavors in fantasy I have no trouble calling a masterwork.

9. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I didn't find it as compelling as the hype suggested it would be. It suffered from the same flaw that affected House of M; a lot of characters are thrown into the mix and... nothing happens for several issues.
  10. PadawanFaye Jedi Padawan

Neverwhere(the book and the TV show)is, in my opinon, some of Gaiman's best. Also, anything where he screws with religion (American Gods, Anansi Boys, Good Omens)is a good book.
  11. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    In june, the eternals, a comic mini series by gaimen and romita jr is coming out.
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I read a book by him. Can't remember what it was called . . . star something? It's about a boy named Tristan who goes into fairy world to get a falling star and bring it back to the girl he has a crush on.

I wasn't impressed. It was too casual and the characters were too accepting of strange things--and the ending when hte star is left alone for centuries, wanting to get back to her mother, is very sad.

I also tried that Good Omens book he write with Pratchett. I thought it would be really funny--the back cover looked great, and everyone was saying it was as good as Douglas Adams, whom I adore, but I actually found it a bit confusing and not at all funny. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
  13. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Read American Gods. It's a masterpiece.
  14. PadawanFaye Jedi Padawan

The book was Stardust.
  15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's the one. Didn't like it much; turned me off of Gaimon.
  16. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Has anyone read Anasasi Boys?
  17. Enji Force Ghost

star 6
    Yep, great book. I loved the character of Spider, and since I love mythology I really enjoyed all the references to that. Well, of course, Gaiman uses a lot of mythology in all his works, which may be one of the reasons I love his books and graphic novels. ;)
  18. Cliodna_ben_Lhee Force Ghost

star 4
    My daughter recently picked up his book Coraline to read during one of our bi-monthly trips to half priced books. She told me she really really likes it. Then I found out he was going to be at the Locus Award weekend in Seattle as well as M.C.ing the Science Fiction Hall of Fame induction Ceremonies so I picked up his book American Gods to have him autograph it for me. I didn?t have enough time to read it before hand, but the premise sounds intriguing. (that the gods of old actually exist and live among us but that we have displaced them with the things we now worship more, ?gods of credit card and freeway, of Internet and telephone, of radio and hospital and television, gods of plastic and of beeper and of neon."). As soon as I finish the book I am currently reading I am going to start on this one.

I got the chance to meet him a few times over the weekend, but each time only briefly- he autographed my copy of American Gods, inscribing the word ?believe!? inside the title page. He also autographed my daughter?s book to her with a cute little scribble of a mouse?s head above his name.
    I also got the chance to see him MC both the Locus awards and the SFHOF awards, and also attended a couple of more intimate (and by intimate, I mean that they were kept small with few attendees) events including a brunch on Saturday and a cocktail reception on Friday to kick off the weekend where we viewed his short film A short film about John Bolton? after which he talked about the making of said film. I found him to be a very engaging person with a quick sardonic wit and an enchanting self deprecating sense of humor. He does not seem full of himself at all.

19. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    That's cool that you got to meet him :)

I might have to try American Gods. Let us know what you think :)
  20. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I read Neil's blog and he sounds like an awesome guy.
  21. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Seemed tentative and understandably shy when I saw him. I don't know why you'd read a chapter aloud; the skill to avoid monotones and sound interesting isn't easy.

Monarch of the Glen didn't really impress me that much. Corporate cult's annual "who's the boss" to hidden beings, who apparently have lived millennia and could teleport in to save Shadow's hide, but couldn't fight the duel themselves. I saw nothing flashy in the prose either; it read slow and calmly and too organised, right out of an old movie flick.
  22. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    Just read American Gods.
  23. one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Never read him, but I'm picking up Eternals today.
  24. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm looking forward to that. It should be good.
  25. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Set in America, it's turned me off, initially, Sidious618. Gives me the impression it's for domestic readers, and I feel a bit excluded. I've read my share of American-based books, and as time goes by you sort of get fed up of it, as though there is no other location to be used. Not the end of the world, to be sure, but I need to read more originality. A protaganist whose name isn't a John or Will for once.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.