main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Nelson Mandela is dead.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "I have had it with these ************* snakes on this ************* plane!" - Nelson Mandela

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has anyone seen the biopic with Idris Elba yet? It got mediocre reviews, but I'm still interested.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    They also let Malema attend. [face_plain]

To summarise:

The ANC is made up of a large body of African communists and trade unionists, and they see Mugabe as a liberator figure bullied by the West and unfairly picked on for a pro-African sentiment. Malema and other ANC Youth often went to ZANU-PF rallies to speak about the land seizures favourably; and Jacob Zuma has often shielded Mugabe from AU sanctions.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    "Hullo. I'm the Doctor. Basically: run."
    -- Nelson Mandela

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." - Nelson Mandela

Saintheart likes this.
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Alternatively or complimentarily, as you may prefer, they were sister-struggles against allied racist regimes. The ANC actually preferred a different revolutionary party to Mugabe's ZANU, but they were ultimately weakened, and forced into junior partner status. The apartheid regimes made a habit of actively degrading and destabilizing credible alternatives to their rule in an attempt prolong their lifespan. In so doing, they more or less ensured that the most radical factions of the opposition would have the highest chance of surviving long enough to take power when the inevitable collapse came. Mugabe is the result.

Nor is this really unusual. Leaders who play a role in ending some historic positive change are usually able to get away with huge numbers of professional indiscretions themselves, and are often lionized for a long time after they might have proved themselves unworthy of it. Witness the popularity of the Ghandi family in India. The sentiment that George Washington could have had himself crowned King. John McCain's idiotic praise of Saakashvilli despite the man's widely known authoritarian tendencies.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *Nehru-Gandhi family. Funnily enough, it's the former that gave them their initial power and prestige. The Gandhi name is just a coincidence as they have no (close) relation to Mohandas.

Ghost likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Lol. Didn't know that.

But yeah, given Nehru's role in gaining independence, that perhaps just strengthens the point if it has any impact at all.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

You should have been able to find a feed on the internets.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Or Mandela?

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It premiered in London and it happened to be the day he passed away. An announcement was made during the film, according to BBC News. I don't think it actually opens here til after Christmas though.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    How badly do you think Michelle Obama kicked Barack's ass on the plane ride home?

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So I hear that people are butthurt that Obama was civil to somebody while at a memorial service...

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly. And if he had ignored Castro, those same people would accuse him of using Mandela's memorial service to make headlines for himself, "narcissist-in-chief," etc, etc.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "i'vebeenreallytryinbabytryintoholdbackthesefeelingsforsolongandifyoufeellikeIfeelbabycomeonohcomeonlet'sgetitonwe'reallsensitivepeoplewithsomuchlovetogiveunderstandmesugarsincewegottobeletssayIloveyouthere'snothinwrongwithmelovinyouandgivinyourselftomecanneverbewrongiftheloveistruedon'tyouknowhowsweetandwonderfullifecanbei'maskinyoubabytogetitonwithmeiaintgonnaworryiaintgonnapushsocomeoncomeoncomeoncomeonbabystopbeatinroundthebushlet'sgetiton" ~ Nelson Mandela

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Not really. He certainly had the affection that all these leaders receive, and one can argue that can live up to such adoration. But I don't see how he really abused it. He delivered on the central promise he made as a political leader and revolutionary. The South African example of political reconciliation is still upheld as one of the best and most effective in modern history. He also steered that country clear of the ethnic tensions that prove problematic for many post-colonial societies. At the same time, he maintained reasonable economic growth.

For all that, he like every leader brought his own faults to the organization he was at the center of. There were a number of baked in issues that are only now receiving attention after having festered openly for some time. But no, I'm not particularly inclined to buy some "Nelson Mandela was a terrible incompetent leader" pitch. He was hailed as effective, politically skilled, and thoughtful because his career shows that he was all those things. I don't see his faults as particularly extraordinary.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    December 20 here in the US from what I caught from a commercial that aired earlier.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    December 20th nationwide? Because I thought it came out over Thanksgiving break?

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It is currently showing in only a select number of theaters around the country. I assume they are talking about when it goes into wide release.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Yes, Nationwide.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well great! Unfortunately, now there will be fart too many movies I will need to see over the Holidays.

25. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *posting to help get past the sidescrolling