main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    There is a lot to like about Goldsmith's scores for the franchise. His work on TMP was stunning. I love everything about that score. The boldness with the brass instruments used in the arrangement of the main title for TMP really reminds me of Aaron Copeland's Fanfare of the Common Man, a composer that I believe Goldsmith cited as influence in his works.

2. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

His score was probably the best part of TMP. :p

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

You're welcome.

4. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

I always loved the contributions to the music of Trek that Jay Chattaway did.

5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Voyage Home probably had the weakest of all the Trek scores if you ask me. Though that may be my general dislike for that film coming through.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Do you use colorful metaphors to describe the score? :p

darth-sinister likes this.
  8. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Not just you, it's one of the least memorable for me. Actually, I can't remember any of the score at all.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ST4 is one of those love it or hate it affairs. It was the first ST thing I ever saw and I loved it. I think the score is brilliant, especially Hospital Chase. Rosenmann is pretty much a one-trick pony though. The score for Robocop 2 is so similar to this one.

ST6 has a thoroughly underrated score. The opening music is fantastic, as is Clear All Moorings.

Mind you, Nemesis aside, I don't think there's been a bad ST film score.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I...don't know.

I didn't think Nemesis' score was all that bad. Remus, Team Work and Lateral Run alone make it better than Voyage Home's.

TWOK, TUC, FC and Star Trek are my top four and also have the four best soundtracks.

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I'd rate Into Darkness above Star Trek purely for London Calling. One of the greatest ST cues ever composed.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    This post needs the music linked!

Overture

Clear All Moorings

Bonus: The Battle for Peace for the Battle of Khitomer. ;) Also, here is Battle in the Mutara Nebula.

Eh.... Debatable.... The Nemesis score at least fit the more mysterious nature of the Romulans.

BigAl6ft6, Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  13. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005

Mmmm, I never really liked the Into Darkness score. It's the only thing by Giacchino I've not loved. London Calling is good, but it's no Enterprising Young Men.

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It would be dull if we all agreed :)

TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005

We can all agree at least that Enterprising Young Men is brilliant...right?

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It would be better if he hadn't just stolen it from Batman Forever :p

17. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Gotta make sure to lock down Quinto and Pine for at least 6 movies, and then Pine for a 7th for a cameo where he's killed off by a bridge.

Also Paramount secured the domain "startrekbeyond.com"

http://trekmovie.com/2015/06/24/breaking-paramount-has-likely-acquired-startrekbeyond-com/

which, if you remember the post a page ago, a guy had a fan-pitch website called Star Trek Beyond which became Star Trek Uncharted but he said he could pitch the TV series to Paramount. Which doesn't make much sense since TV Trek is controlled by CBS. (Fun fact, saw Ted 2 and there was TOS / TNG clips & merch in it and in the end credits it sez it was from CBS, not Paramount).

Oh and as for the Trek scores, they're generally more great ones than lackluster ones. Michael Giacchino is pretty amazing in everything and his last 2 Trek scores have been pretty great. As mentioned, that "London Calling" track which carries basically the entire emotional impact of the Section 31 schumck's meeting with "John Harrison" in the opening section of the movie.

Little known score, Brian Tyler (who has gone on to do a lot of Marvel stuff) did the score of Enterprise's "Regeneration" and it's pretty damn solid. Too bad he didn't score more of Enterprise, he only had 2 eps under his belt.

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    "It was *Shatnerian Pregnant Pause* fun."

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Great quip in the "Generations" commentary track (awesome listen as Braga and Moore tear their own movie to shreds eventually by the third act) where they wrote the "It was ... fun" line and Shatner improv'd the "Oh my" bit. They say with "oh my" that it suddenly seems like Kirk went to hell.

DaddlerTheDalek and TX-20 like this.
  21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    One of the best moments from Generations is Data's Life Forms song.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Huh. I always interpreted that line as Kirk meeting his friends and family on the otherside in the afterlife.

Sarge likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Shatner's novel "the Return" retcons the "oh my" as Kirk was seeing some sort of resurrection wave whatever that took him out and put him into a new body and then he fought the Borg, or something, or maybe Borg and Romulans resurrected him because reasons. I forget the specifics, it was decades ago I read it. Check memory beta.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I figure that Paramount knows something we don't about CBS's TV option for Star Trek, like there's a loophole of some kind, that lets them some kind of project other than a TV show, say a webseries, like Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome or CBS's option is about to expire completely and Paramount is lining up potential ideas for a new Star Trek series. Another possibility is that Paramount has decided that the Milky Way has been pretty thoroughly mined in the Prime Universe, which it has been, and ATL Kirk's Five Year Mission is going to take place in a different galaxy. I admit that I am speculating, but the idea of a franchise fan pitching a series to a studio is just so unusual that I figure that there must be something that we don't know and Paramount does.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I own the book, but haven't read in awhile, I'll probably read it again this weekend to check.