main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    They would have to explain how he was able to be granted a command after his court martial turned disciplinary hearing in DS9 during the Federation Klingon conflict/war. Sisco made it sound like that was pretty unlikely to happen.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    As much as I want Trek back on the small screen, I don't think I want it to feature previous cast members. Maybe as guest stars or whatnot, but main characters?

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that's been explored fairly extensively in STO, but I don't play the MMO, so I can't speak to that very much, but yes between that, the near-collapse of the Federation at the hands of Borg and the emergence of the Typhon Pact, the balance of power in the Alpha Quadrant has probably shifted by a fairly large margin. That would be a good setting for Captain Worf and would probably explain how he got his own command. The Federation was driven right to the bleeding edge of collapse and Starfleet was seriously butchered by the Borg in the process. Worf is a highly decorated Starfleet officer. Do the math.

jabberwalkie and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014

God. I still love that teaser!

And Star Trek Beyond is official now.

5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

I wonder if this means we'll see blue Away Team coats like the ones Kirk, McCoy, and Saavik wore in Wrath or Khan?

6. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ....well as long as you're open minded!

TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    They're already planning another one for after 2016, so it's not going away anytime soon. At this point, I'd rather see a new TV series, but there's more money to be made in movies.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, as it has been pointed out recently, it's not a question of movies making more money that is holding back a new TV serie, but rather a question of rights since they're split between CBS and Paramount.

While we wait for the rights to be worked out, I'd settle for a DS9 Remastered release...

Darth_Omega, TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  10. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    True enough. And me too... those large-scale space battles with the Dominion would look pretty good in HD.

TX-20 likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, especially since they apparently still have many of the scene files and most CG models were actually rendered at a lower level of detail than the actual model files.

Original DVD:
    [​IMG]

Same file re-rendered in HD:
    [​IMG]

Until then, this is all we'll have:

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm sure there will be another series. I'd imagine that they probably want to target either a release or at a minimum an announcement of some sort by the 50th Anniversary. If the lawyers can come to an agreement of some sort, I think it's possible we could see something in the works by the end of the year and premier in the fall for 2016. But that might be me being slightly optimistic.

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    You'd figure eventually DS9 & VOY would get HD releases if only for online streaming platforms where people like the HD. Maybe not a blu ray release but probably digital HD eventually, there be too much money left on the table if DS9 & VOY only exists in SD forevermore. While stations may favour TOS / TNG for repeats, DS9 & VOY still pop up. (Ent, I believe, is already HD, actual forward thinking over 10 years ago. I know ENT S4 was shot on digital HD)

14. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    The Space channel here in Canada still airs re-runs of Voyager, along with TNG, so yeah, there's some appetite for it. They used to re-run all of the ST shows years ago, but TNG and Voyager are the only ones they kept oddly enough.

TX-20, Chancellor_Ewok and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

*Envies you* The only channel I get that still shows re-runs of any Star Trek show is BBC America and they only show TNG. I wish Voyager re-runs were aired.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Yah, I get that channel too. Did you notice the TOS HD remasters on Space were cropped a few years ago? It was an HD broadcast on the SD Space channel (so it had black bars) but it was definitely the remasters. I get the feeling ala Sienfeld that Trek repeats in HD is cropped (aside from ENT) to fit now-standard TV size.

Yet another reason CBS needs to make a new Star Trek series, they gotta have a properly HD formatted show (aside from Enterprise). Movies can sustain the brand but a new TV show would bring in fresh merch / places to sell it. The biggest problem is where would they be able to air it for a few years to get enough to sell to stations.

17. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Ah yes, I do recall that. And yeah, they were the remastered versions for sure. The black bars were worth enduring for that at least; the new graphics made some things a lot better.

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, I remember that. For it awhile it was literally a five hour Trekathon, every day, TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, all in chronological and broadcast sequence. And yeah for some reason, they stopped airing TOS, DS9 and Enterprise. If you were a Trek fan it was Sto'vo'kor. :D

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. True Sith

May 10, 2015

It was so great. That was when I was first starting to try out the others besides TNG or TOS, so it was helpful to have so many episodes of each on every week. :) I remember thinking at first I could simply jump into DS9 when it was around the late Season 4 mark. Boy, what a mistake that was.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could very likely be the case- when TNG remastered was in the works they said there would be a cropped widescreen version for streaming services not made available on BD.

This info came about when the TNGR previews showed the final shot of the opening credits (the big under before the warp jump) in full, uncropped widescreen since the FX model footage was shot in anamorphic.

They subsequently illustrated why they'd have to crop the other footage to get widescreen because if they used the expanded frame information on the film negatives it would expose boom mics and other set equipment intended to be cropped out of the composition.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    That is absolutely beautiful work. Man, I want DS9 in HD so bad.

22. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The registry being different bugs me way more than it should.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha, the file was probably changed to a different ship the last time they used it and they didn't change it back for the example still shot.

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I still get that, but I also get TOS on METV ever Saturday night.

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014