main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

In Death Wish (the first Voyager Q episode), Q offered to send them home if she ruled in his favour.

2. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    "Q wants to do something nice for me."

"I'll alert the crew."

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I'm thinking of a different episode, though. I think it might be Q2.

4. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Speaking of early Voyager, I re-watched Projections the other night, and quite enjoyed it. Definitely one of the best out of the early seasons. Robert Picardo is fantastic. :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
  6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Currently through a poor run of the second half of series 3. Coda. Unity. Rise. Alter Ego. Blood fever. Nothing much to enjoy. But Darkling was good, and looking forward to a Before and After, and Real Life

7. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Worst Case Scenario was a pretty decent one from late season 3 too.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Indeed. Looking forward to that. Dreading Nemesis. Worst episode ever

9. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Yeah, poor Chakotay...the episodes that focus on him are terrible most of the time.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Chute was a rather good early S3 ep.

True Sith likes this.
  11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    One thing I didn't get about that episode: How could Harry Kim even possibly read that one alien guy's manifesto, because wouldn't it be written in a Delta Quadrant alien language he wouldn't have even recognized?

(It's just a TV show, I should really just relax...)

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't remember Voyager episodes by heart. Is this like your other hated episodes-- mediocre at worst? :p

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahhahha, Chakotay in Rambo: First Blood, awesome. Does he have a "Nothing is over!" speech to Janeway?

Semi-related, I love this episode, crazy Leland Orser hologram is crazy

jabberwalkie likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The early half of Voyager was often at its best when it embraced or explored more horror-like elements- Orser's hologram, Brad Dourif's serial killer, the Vidians, the Borg (to a lesser degree), Michael McKean's clown incarnation of fear (which also managed to be what is probably the most TOS-like episode of any Trek spinoff), etc.

However, Nemesis was not one of those episodes. I didn't find it to be the worst episode ever (there are some interesting insights into his time fighting the Cardasssians)- if not for the pig Latin dialogue the episode might have actually been pretty decent, but it mostly ends up telling us its message on propaganda rather than showing us.

Some excerpts from my review of that episode:

"And once again we have a race of total humans, here an attempt to not cover them up with forehead ridges or skin spots but rather slightly Gungan'd vocabulary: "Glimpse there!". Slap you!"

""The Nemesis has nullified mine and ours in the before and will in the now, but in the soon after?". Oh good *** dammit- am I watching Spaceballs right now? I can't be watching Spaceballs right now because if I was watching Spaceballs right now that dialogue wouldn't be pissing me off. I'm starting to greatly look forward to the end of this episode, but- when will then be now? Soon. How soon?"

"The Nemesis aliens look like they took left over Predator face molds and, with the leader, slapped them on David Bowie in Labyrinth."

"...the highly unnecessary pig latin... just makes [the episode] annoying everytime you start to like it- and it's undermining to the goal of the story. You can't expect the subtext to be effective if people are struggling to get through and follow your surfacetext."

Sarge, jabberwalkie and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    for some Trek stories, the human aliens work well in the context of the narrative. "Critical Care" is a pretty grand Voyager episode about hospital care that uses mostly "human" aliens (and a smattering of non-human aliens because the medical facility is one big mash up of races) but it's sort of a medical care allegory so using, basically, humans does click.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With Voyager in particular, though, it strains the concept more than usual, TNG's "The Chase" did a good job of finally explaining things but even that can only go so far.

TX-20 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Wasn't "The Chase" the one where they found out that Humans, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. are all actually descendants from the same original race or something?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    THAT'S ALL? If she were not dead, I would kill her!

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. It was the writers' way of explaining in universe why all the major powers in the Alpha Quadrant look so similar and why they can interbreed with each other.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

Probably. I cannot abide the entire concept of "it was all in his head" episodes. It's a cop-out of the highest order and ridiculously lazy writing (with the exceptions where it is put to good use such as Inner Light, or Hard Times). This is not an exception. It built up really well, and on its first viewing, I was gripped with the thought of how it would end. Then the ending came and I was nonplussed. Completely pointless episode.

I am on the fence, however, with reset button episodes. Year of Hell is a good example. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I like the idea of exploring alternate outcomes so they are often good. I can't think off the top of my head of a bad example in Trek, but Doctor Who's "Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS" is an excellent example of a bad reset episode.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Watching "Displaced".

The Nyrians show that they have the ability to choose who to swap, yet leave the 1st officer to last? Not exactly great planning

or writing.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I got through your first sentence, thought of these two, and then saw them after...

24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Those are the exceptions as the use of "it's all in the mind" is the central premise of the episode. It's not used as a quick get-out when you are not talented enough to write a decent conclusion.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Especially in the case of "The Inner Light" when it's clear that the affects on Picard last long after the events of the episode are over.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.