main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I don't blame you. Definitely a contender for Voyager's worst ever (although I personally give that award to 'Spirit Folk'). It really baffles me how the writers completely shafted Chakotay; he always got the worst episodes.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They rarely knew what to do with him or where to take his character (and certainly not the fault of Robert). The supporting roles when the character worked were almost an accident.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Not the worst ever - that still goes to Nemesis. But being unfinishable it's right up there. I've seen the two Irish Pub episodes once only (still to come up in my rewatch), but I actually quite enjoyed them. I don't recall anything about them except that they were not well-received though at the time I didn't get the "hate". Perhaps my viewpoint will change when I get to them.

4. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    I think making Chakotay get along with Janeway so well, so early was a mistake for his character too. Chakotay's most fun when he's being kind of a rogue, like in Timeless. And yeah, let's just say I'd rather watch Threshold again (wasn't it deemed non-canon?) than those Irish holodeck ones. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Chakotay's conflict with Seska was actually a good arc for him- it's just a shame it got bogged down by being so heavily integrated into the Kazon stories, since people are more motivated to skip over those than not.

And once they moved past the Kazon they had to move past her and that kinda left Chakotay adrift as far as character momentum goes. Especially after they nixed any Chakotay/Janeway shipping.

They tried to fill it in by giving him ties to the Borg but Seven rendered that redundant as well.

BigAl6ft6 and True Sith like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree, Star Trek: Nemesis was the worst!

7. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Anyone watch the Renegades fanfilm? Dire. I made it about halfway through.

There are a bunch of familiar faces in it. Chekov and Tuvok. Robert Picardo. Gary Graham, the guy who played Soval in Enterprise, better known to me as Matt Sykes from Alien Nation. Sean Young from Blade Runner wears glasses in the future. Edward Furlong... this is what Edward Furlong is doing now.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

I downloaded it and skipped through it a bit. Deleted it. Prelude to Axanar has ruined me for fan films.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Prelude to Axanar was awesome.

Mustafar_66 and jabberwalkie like this.
  10. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Oh yeah, Seska was always entertaining.

11. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I haven't finished Renegades yet (watching now) but it also had Corin Nemec (Jonas Quinn of SG-1 fame). I have to say one of my favorite roles Walter Koenig had was as Alfred Bester in Babylon 5. It almost made me wish he had more bad guy roles.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  12. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    Oh, okay, that's who the captain of the Federation ship (which I think is one of the STO designs) was. Parker Lewis. There were some faces I sort of recognized but couldn't put a name to them. Tom Paris' dad. The Cardassian guy - Vic from Star Trek Continues?

13. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I believe the actor that plays Admiral Paris is Richard Herd. The ship is definitely not from STO. A google search says that it is a new class created for the film called the Sternbach class (though it honestly looks like a kti-bash of a bunch of different ship classes), named after Richard Sternbach. A lot of things in the shows were based on his designs. The comm badges, tricoders, Prometheus and Nova classes, and Voyager herself were all his designs or based heavily on his designs. The Dauntless was actually I think one of the concept designs for Voyager. Besides the Sovereign Class, the Nova Class and by extension the Rhode Island Class as it is a derivation of the Nova are probably some of my favorite designs in canon.

14. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    Richard Herd. Wow, I didn't realize he was the Scottish guy in Summer Rental with John Candy. That was, like, the movie in my house growing up.

I'm guessing Rick did the hero ship, too. That one struck me as the Prometheus meets the Vor'cha class.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, Admiral Paris was played by Richard Herd.

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

They really need to get a move on with the main feature.

It always surprises me the names some of these fan films get to star in them. Sure, they get paid but for stuff like Renegades which is seemingly terrible I don't get the appeal. Love of the franchise? Bills to pay? Outstanding favours?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    repost from 2016 Presidential Thread:

[​IMG]

18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

A vote for Trump is a vote for profit.

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Sean Young is still working?

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Is she Finkle or Einhorn?

22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" - An extraordinary episode. Absolutely brilliant.

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and True Sith like this.
  23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    You know, with Obama officially renaming Mt. McKinley to Mt. Denali, it makes that bit in that first season episode of Star Trek: Enterprise where, after installing the Enterprise NX-01 phase cannons, Captain Archer has them tested on a mountain on a lifeless asteroid "as big as Mt. McKinley" weird.

But it's not the first time Star Trek mucked up in that regard (Trek movies and TV shows made before 1991 implying the Soviet Union will still exist in the 23rd and 24th centuries, anyone?).

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe locals pass around the old nickname or some such- or some piece of future pop culture set during the era when it was named McKinley popularized the incorrect name.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    THEY GOT THE FUTURE OFFICIAL NAME OF A MOUNTAIN WRONG TREK IS RUINED FOREVER

BigAl6ft6 likes this.