main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    New episode of Star Trek Continues today. Faux time travel vein, Kirk and McCoy in the Civil War.

Divided We Stand

2. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    At least Regeneration managed to be entertaining, which is more than the majority of Enterprise episodes can claim IMO. Are those Romulan War novels any good? I've never read one myself.

PCCViking, TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Romulan War could have been awesome and they teased in S4, however, I think Regeneration gets undeserved hate. The first act is a very cool riff on "The Thing", and the Borg in that episode are genuinely scary - after seasons of being defanged on Voyager - and pretty darn unstoppable (Trip has my favourite line in the episode looking over the Borg-modified specs "I don't even WANT to know what this thing is!"). Also I love how when Enterprise gets the Borg transmission all they get is the "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." simple easy workaround to continuity snafu but works (you can no-prize that the encounter with the "cybernetic zombies" - as Cohrane was once on record drunkenly babbling about - was on Section 31 lockdown - but also it leads into the Hansens searching for the Borg in the TNG era). And that episode is one of the few to be scored by Bryan Tyler and it's pretty darn amazing (Tyler would go on to do a lot of Marvel movies as well)

TX-20 and True Sith like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

I haven't read them but I do want to get around to them.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Enterprise was supposed to build to the Romulan War for its last 3 seasons. Not to mention the NX Refit which actually looks pretty cool (love the nacelle strut supports combo). Alas...

[​IMG]

IIRC they added ST to the title for the third season, so probably by time they were syndicating reruns of S1, the title change had already occurred.

Jedi Merkurian , TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Weren't they going to reveal that T'Pol was half-Romulan too? That would've been quite interesting...

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't remember this being mentioned in either of the Romulan War novels or the Good that Men Do that mostly dealt with Tucker and a bit with T'Pol due to their psychic connection. It's been awhile since I read them, but I really don't remember it being mentioned that T'Les husband/mate was Romulan in the novels. That may be because it just wasn't important to the story though.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm late to the party here, but this blew me away:

This looks BETTER than Renegades. I really mean that. Despite having official hands in the making of the production, Renegades missed the point on so may occasions throughout their feature. This trailer alone captures the tone, style, and overall feel of Star Trek while actually looking like it has a good script and good actors. Sign me up. I love this. This is more worthy of being picked up for a pilot than Renegades. Keeping in mind that fan projects nearly always make me cringe.

BigAl6ft6 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Wow. That looks like it could potentially be on a par with Prelude to Axanar, which was amazing.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That looks pretty decent actually. Little confused if the 22nd Romulan is referring to 24th's destruction of Romulus, even if you work in Future Guy.

Also, a little disappointed they're not doing NX Refits if it's the Romulan War but I guess not every ship would get that upgrade.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I've always liked the look of the refit NX class. I never really liked the look of the Enterprise as it appeared in the series because if you look edge on it disappears. The proposed season 5 refit looks much more substantial.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Agreed. The NX lost something in its stealing of the Akira design concept.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

It also lost something in ignoring Gene Roddenberry's most basic starship design edict for Star Trek, which was no flying saucers.

14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The Akira Class was one my favorite designs in recent history. The Equinox/Rhode Island classes were pretty good too.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Akira was a very innovative design and quite clever in how it served a particular function while also advancing core design aspects of Federation ships such as providing better protection to the exposed bridges.

(One of the rejected JJ designs had some interesting saucer mod design ideas that would have been interesting if they had taken that route instead of what we ended up with).

I don't take that one too seriously- let's face it, the original Enterprise was a smooth flying saucer with two rockets and a radar dish strapped to it. The only thing it was missing were giant rocket fins to complete the full collection of 50's/60's Sci-Fi spaceship cliches.

Now, it combined those elements in a creative way, but you can't say "no flying saucers" and then go make a spaceship centered around a big flying saucer.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    OMFG! Why is there not a thing that does the Enterprise - NX-01 - Romulan War - TOS bridge story?! That would be amazing!

Actually, Rick Berman almost did. No foolin!

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Beginning

But then Paramount put a big rubber X stamp on that and then JJ Abrams. Actually, without seeing "Star Trek: The Beginning" I think JJ Abrams "Star Trek" was the better choice. Also, if you wanna play Continuity Cop, I always thought the uniforms of the USS Kelvin

[​IMG]

kinda looked like a bridge between the ENT uniforms (shoulder flair!)

[​IMG]

And TNG era

[​IMG]

(I like the First Contact uniforms the best. Or TOS uniforms. Voyager / early season DS9 / Generations uniforms are kinda uglay)

So, anyway, because the USS Kelvin uniforms have the shoulder flair thingie (which is the Prime-verse canon for the post-ENT pre TOS era) therefore in between the Romulan War happened. Probably.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Kelvin uniforms were most definitively intended to be a transition from the ENT uniforms to the JJ-TOS style.

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    really gotta rewatch this episode

[​IMG]

DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ "A Piece of the Action"

One of those episodes that I classify under "You can't take this seriously, but it's a whole lotta fun."

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. Kirk and Spock BSing their way through Gangster World. [face_laugh]

21. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    One Star Trek TOS episode that is often made fun of, but has a serious point (not to mention some fun bits) is Patterns Of Force (yes, the Nazi Planet episode).

I always liked that one better than "A Piece Of The Action".

Sarge likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I hope Simon Pegg & company basically devised a way in "Star Trek Beyond" to integrate Gangster planet, Nazi planet & Abraham Lincoln floating in outer space.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Patterns of Force is legitimately good, IMO- it actually explains why such a world exists with an intriguing premise ("Try to make the Nazis work without the evil Hitler stuff- but they turn on not-Hitler and go bad anyways").

It's not just a random world that happened to evolve EXACTLY like Ancient Rome or the native Americans or simulations centered around specific Wild West stories or requires a race of mimics copying gangster stories as the basis for their societal structure for some ridiculous reason.

Really, though, these episodes do underline my opinion that Roddenberry would have preferred to do a time travel series but settled for something that could just become a time travel series in all but name her and there.

But Patterns was definitely the best of the bunch and one that holds up pretty well- I usually include it on the short list of essential TOS episodes that people who probably wouldn't like TOS could probably still enjoy.

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: "Patterns of Force" (the Nazi planet one) and "Bread & Circuses" (the Roman planet one), those two featured one of the bigger plot contradictions in TOS. "Patterns of Force" basically said, "There's pretty much no way a planet could evolve this culture, including the same terms and symbolism, on its own, thus somebody from Earth helped them." On the other hand, "Bread & Circuses" basically said, "Well, this planet and Earth are very similar, so, sure, they could've evolved similar cultures, including the same terminology and beliefs. There's even a scientific law that covers that." I don't know if any Trekkers have figured out a way to explain this.

As for "A Piece of the Action", it is a very fun episode. And I have to figure somebody has actually tried to codify the rules for Fizzbin.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The first Rule of Fizbin is, there are no rules for Fizbin.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.