main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The only episodes that I feel that deserve a rating that high from Voyager are both two part episodes, Equinox and Year of Hell. Those are the episodes that really stand out in my mind as some of the best episodes of Voyager.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd throw in Scorpion, because Seven, and The Killing Game as well, but in either case the difference is that they were able to tell a longer story.

3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    The Killing Game was pretty good, but I don't think it was nearly as complex as either Equinox or Year of Hell. As much as I liked Scorpion and how it introduced us to Seven, the thing that turned me off was Janeway being Janeway.

Man you boogered up that quote all up. :p

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I found most two-parters quite dull. Loved most of the solo Doctor episodes. And Counterpoint

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Voyager's One Small Step is probably one of the best Trek episodes about space exploration.

6. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I've never understood why people like One Small Step. Voyager constantly bringing over lost artifacts from the Alpha Quadrant got really annoying, really fast to me.

Sarge likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention that surely the Borg would be worth Spock Prime making an exception for in terms of a warning? I mean, he made an exception for Khan on a personal level but a warning about the Borg could save thousands of lives (at the minimum- that's not even factoring in lost colonies, etc), hundreds of ships, etc. Especially now that there's no guarantee Picard or Q will end up being involved in this timeline.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I do wonder how they'll address Spock Prime's fate in Beyond with Nimoy gone.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I wonder if they will retire the character or reserve him for books and comics only.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    They'll probably keep the character strictly to books/comics, but I would imagine, one way or another, there'll be some explanation in universe for why we never see Spock Prime again in the movies.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, I don't think they will completely retire the character, even in the PU, after all, its Spock, he's one of the most revered characters in all of science fiction. There's too much temptation to not use him.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I noticed that too, and I think it may have been to clarify things for the viewer, because I remember when VI was released, a local newspaper's review said in their summing-up bullet points for the film, one of the things they said bad about it was a "confusing and complicated plot", or something of that nature.

I think all the director's cut changes to the film since its theatrical release have been Nicolas Meyer and Paramount's attempts to fix that perception.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wish they'd rerelease the special/directors/collectors editions on BD. it's really the only reason I haven't picked the sets up (other than them being packaged as box sets- I need to be able to put TNG sets between 6 & 7 on my shelf, dammit!)

I know TMP might be difficult due to the effects rendering but surely the others would be pretty simple.

(And while we're at it- gimme all those deleted Generations scenes too!)

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Well the plot contrivance XYZ from Alpha Quadrant was done a hellova lot in Voyager's run but I'm talking more emotionally / thematically what the episode is about for space travel, probably some of the most dramatic in Trekdom about why it's relevant and the sacrifice involved, and some particularly fantastic work by Phil Morris as John Kelly and "Yankees, in six games." Really hits a sweet spot that I'll overlook the "hey, it's an Alpha Quadrant thingie that came from space magic" bit. It's like "The holodeck tried to kill me again" episodes across the series. If it's honestly good, I don't care.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I have been re-watching TNG using a list I've found that has cut out the fat of seasons 1 and 2. As a consequence of that I have been enjoying the first two seasons more. It's always been a struggle for me until season 3 to really want to watch more.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah there's a lot to skip through in those seasons but there are some decent entries. Also doesn't hurt that S1 basically has a decent clip show that touches on a few things you might miss out on doing so.

17. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    At least the second season produced Q Who and Measure of a Man, both of which I'd say are in my top 10 favorite episodes ever of TNG.

Juliet316 and TX-20 like this.
  18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I just got done watching A Matter of Honor, and its an enjoyable episode. Measure of a Man I also remember to be fantastic.

Sarge likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I found a DVD set of complete TOS Remastered for only 60 bucks! That's less than a dollar an episode (78 eps in 3 seasons, damn they cranked 'em out back in the day). I'm sure there's a handful of TOS eps I haven't seen in full yet and I sure as heck haven't seen a lot of Remastered eps so good score.

Sarge, The2ndQuest and True Sith like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

*hides from @halibut*

halibut likes this.
  21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Q Who is indeed a good episode.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

The most chilling line from that episode: "The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance."

23. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    A lot of funny ones too: "Ah, the redoubtable Commander Riker! And Microbrain! Growl for me; let me know you still care."

PCCViking, BigAl6ft6, TX-20 and 3 others like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Q+everything=better

25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I think Alan Cumming would make a great Q.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.