main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Imagine a scene where Captain Jack Bauer of the USS Rendition attaches electrodes to the nether regions of a Romulan to get him to talk.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That would seriously be my favourite Star Trek episode ever. Poor Jack was last seen being dragged into Russian custody so maybe, to hell with it, blah blah blah, time travelling and whales and, BOOM!, Jack Bauer in the 23rd century. He's solve the Red Matter crisis in 12 hrs because the last 12 hrs he'd have to stop a Borg invasion, singlehandedly.

Chole can come too.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'd rather see what was pitched to NBC way back when: "Hornblower in Space".

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  4. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    [​IMG]

Lest we forget...

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Or you could just read Honor Harrington for your Master and Starship Commander fix. :p

Jedi Ben and Sarge like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

"...and that's when you hit the Klingons?"

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I liked the first 8 or 9 Honor Harrington books, but after that they just got too long and too slow. I think I quit after 10 or 11.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just finished Badda-Bing Badda-Bang. Have I mentioned how awesome Vic Fontaine is?

Sarge and jabberwalkie like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So on Thanksgiving BBC America is doing a TNG marathon all day. Specifically the first 18 episodes of Season 1 (I guess they wanted to turkeys?). Their commercial ends with this graphic:

[​IMG]

What's worse? Using the wrong ship in the first place? Or making the awesome E look like the clunky JJprise?

Chancellor_Ewok and Juliet316 like this.
  10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Definitely clunky JJprise.

11. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Definitely wrong ship

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hope that unpaid intern got fired.

The2ndQuest , BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Maybe that was Kurtzman's first contribution to televised Trek.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    18 episodes of season 1?!! The number of watchable episodes in season 1 can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and not using the thumb. Whoever made that decision needs firing.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not even the best 18 eps of season 1- it's Farpoint part 1 through Home Soil. No Skin, Paris, Conspiracy or Neutral Zone- not even Heart or Arsenal on a lower level.

jabberwalkie and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Conspiracy is awesome but maybe not quite why it is supposed to be awesome but its really darn enjoyable ("IT WANTS TO TALK TO YOU!") and the WTF level of gore at the end.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's my favorite S1 episode- and not just because it's one of only two episodes, alongside Skin, I distinctly remember watching when they first aired (or thereabouts).

So, in summary, this thanksgiving you can enjoy The Naked Now, Code of Honor & Justice but not Skin, Conspiracy, or over half of the episodes from S1 that you probably actually remember. In SD.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Is the first half of S1 where they almost kill Westley for stepping on flowers? That would be a good episode to watch after you're all doped up on Turkey and booze.

There's 2 Q episodes in the first half-ish of S1 and it has pig confederate killer aliens in it so that's a thing.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That was the requisite "**** the Prime Directive, since I'm not Kirk and I may be a diplomat but I'm not a wuss" episode...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Released on this date in 1986:

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Never realized how much they gave away in the trailer for that film.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Note one of the (many) reasons producers blamed the failure of Star Trek V at the box office was that it was released in the summer, saying that audiences were used to having Trek movies out at Thanksgiving. (the fact it was up against Rambo and Indy probably didn't help either. Also the movie was pretty weak coming of IV)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Supposedly, Leonard Nimoy (who directed Star Trek III) was less than pleased with Paramount's marketing department over the trailer they made for The Search For Spock, which actually showed the destruction of the Enterprise in its trailer, when he wanted to save that as a surprise for moviegoers.

Oftentimes, movie trailers are not made by or approved by the filmmakers themselves. It's probably a more recent development that they do, or that certain filmmakers have final say over this kind of thing.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    TX-20 and Juliet316 like this.
  25. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Aaahhhhh Robert Beltran. The man who is sickened by Trek fandom only to throw himself into the proverbial lion's den.

As for Terry...does she age?!