main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I liked the Judge's sentence speech personally, but that one is definitely not bad. Go to around 1:25.

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bring back the Judge and the Rura Penthe warden and just have them make very Klingon-y dire pronouncements. That's at least an episode.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Just bring back the Klingons of the Prime Universe. Give them the depth they had in DS9 and The Undiscovered Country.

Sarge and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good news! The series will have a subtitle, to be unveiled later. Thank God.

True Sith and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Star Trek: The Continuing Missions

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

If I remember correctly, the Klingons and the Federation didn't really solidify their alliance until the Enterprise C sacrificed itself against the Romulans.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    But we already saw conflicts with Klingons and Romulans in the previous series and movies. Same with Cardassians. I still think it would be rather a retreat of familiar storylines than something fresh and new. They also have to use the ship designs we know from the TOS-TNG era (which was mostly the same we saw in the first six movies) to avoid continuity inconsistencies.

Just my opinion, but I believe the best way to introduce us to strange new worlds, unknown lifeforms and new civilizations is to have the new series to be set in the post-Nemesis period. And regarding the "classic" aliens like Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians: The destruction of Romulus would provide us a new dynamic in the relationships between these galactic powers.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Star Trek: We're Sorry...

BigAl6ft6, Sarge and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The post-TUC is still a different dynamic- we're post-treaty but still pre-Besties. Same species true, but that different dynamic could affect other or new species.

As for the ship designs, in perfectly ok with that, considering we never saw a Constitution Refit in a series and that design aesthetic could still be used to introduce new support craft designs.

That said, I'd love to see them tackle post-Nemesis/post-Romulus eventually too.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

You say that like it's a bad thing.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Oh, I don't think the TOS-TNG designs are bad, I actually like them. It's just that I would prefer to see something new. Same with the time period itself. There may be some interesting stories to tell, but I was always more interested in the post-Nemesis period than the post-TUC/pre-TNG period.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

12. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Story line wise yes, I'd prefer post-Nemesis but as far as the ships go I prefer the movie era stuff. If we can have a buttload of Miranda's, Excelsior's and refit Constitutions and stuff modelled on them then great!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There's no way that lawsuit is "going away" as is claimed without significant changes by the Axanar team... they were physically making money off of the fan-film, which is why the lawsuit was there in the first place...

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    While I understand where you are coming from (IP copyright claim), I'm not sure that I see much difference between Renegades and Axanar in how they gathered their funds for the films. They also both have/had Star Trek alums involved with them. And both used various elements of Star Trek that are copyrighted.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You can't make a profit off of someone else's IP. That's the cut off. Axanar, the people making it were taking a salary from the crowd-sourced funds. Fan films can't make money, nor can you profit off of the IP.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Again, I'm not sure I necessarily see the difference between Renegades and Axanar in that regard. Especially since Renegades seemingly got a pass on that AFAIK. Unless they didn't pay anyone on that project.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sorry, you can probably pay the people in it -- but you, the creator, can't be paid for making it. Which is where Axanar fails. Also, that they're setting up their studio based on Axanar to make future films and profit off of Axanar. Big no-nos.

20. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Again, that was also the expressed intent of the Renegades kickstarter and indiegogo campaigns. And it got a pass.

21. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    New Star Trek Continues episode today:

The guest star is Gigi Edgley, Chiana from Farscape.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43387/-star-trek-scribes-join-fuller-s-new-series

Joe Menosky (TNG, DS9, VOY writer), Aron Coliete (Ultimate X-Men) & Kirsten Beyer (author of some Voyager novels) are joining the writing staff of the new series as well,

Menosky in particular wrote several notable episodes including Darmok, Time's Arrow, The Chase, The Thaw, Future's End, Scorpion, Distant Origin, Year of Hell, The Killing Game and others.

It's funny, yesterday this model arrived:

[​IMG]

And it got me thinking how a 29th Century timeship like that would make for the perfect framing device for a Trek anthology show since you could send an agent to any era of Trek for a show or season and then send another to a different era the next time (but hopefully avoid a Sulliban/Future Guy temporal Cold War complication and keep it more to an observational angle- this way the show would be using time travel to tell stories and not using the show to tell time travel stories.).

And then here they go hiring a writer who wrote at least two notable time travel 2-parters, including the one that introduced the time travel organization from the 29th century...

BigAl6ft6 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So basically Doctor Who wrapped in Star Trek? That sounds like a really good idea.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Did Menosky alone write Time's Arrow? I always got the impression that one was written by a committee. No, that was not a compliment.