main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    That's pretty complex. By comparison, I'd understood that the only things Lucasfilm insisted on were that fan productions couldn't be sold for profit, and they couldn't be presented as an official part of the saga (unless Disney has added additional conditions).

2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Axanar has put out two trailers between yesterday and today.

Seems as though they are continuing on....

The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    To be honest, I like my fan films at 15 minutes or less. Do think I'll watch that Prelude to Axanar thingie sometime soonish, it's only 20 minutes. I do want to check out Renegades but it's an hour and 20 minutes, yikes! The whole thing about "only 2 15 minute films, and no sequels" is pretty dire, though.

Anyway, this is basically cuz the Axanar guys tried to profit off of the Star Trek brand name, which they did, even if they put every penny into production.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Video of the announcement is now available:

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    You're not missing anything if you don't see it. Trust me.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    In officially licensed CBS Star Trek productions, Bryan Fuller interview!

http://collider.com/new-star-trek-series-details/

Fuller says he not just wanted to be a writer but he wanted to be a Star Trek writer (Which he was and is again) 13 episodes! More "graphic" content (Whatever that is. I'm only 5 eps into Hannibal Season 1 so maybe Will Graham will mentally recreate crime scenes saying "This is my design" Like I said, only 5 eps in, shhhh!)

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I bet I know what they are primarily going after with those guidelines, Renegades, even though CBS and Paramount have both abandoned the post-Nemesis era for the foreseeable future.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're really going after anything ongoing or large-scale. I suspect the ridiculous prop and episode limit clauses were requested by CBS to specifically target Star Trek Continues & New Voyages/Phase II since CBS is interested in their TOS royalties.

On the flip side, the runtime and budget clauses are probably all Paramount, to target anything rivaling feature film quality (Renegades, Horizon, etc) since they have the movie rights.

9. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

I was thinking one thing only while watching that video - Captain Bruce Campbell.

Sarge likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Hmmmm....maybe they are reverting to Prime after all.

I'm guessing that this series will then adopt a tone that has a lot of similarities to the latest films while extending the lore and mythos for long term fans - you know, 50/50 balance.

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ahhhh, I've seen it referenced as Kelvin Timeline before so that's pretty cool. (also saw the term "Red Matter Timeline" which works). JJ-verse was my fav but a bit too meta, Kelvin Timeline is just geeky enough.

Oh, side note, in that Fuller interview he mentioned A) finally getting some info at comic con B) shooting in September C) digital enhancements to alien creatures, which I think is a grand idea. Way to liven up the plastic masks / forehead "alien" designs we seen a lot in the post TNG series.

DaddlerTheDalek and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    You'll find that if they had the budget to do that during TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT, they would have done it then too. TV productions have way more money thrown at them these days.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Species 8472 was an early, and pretty ambitious, attempt at an all-CGI alien creatures. I'm totally okay if the show goes in for that. But I'm also excited for them to open up the various worlds of the Trek-verse, and the ship itself, aside from the "Matte painting wide establishing / crammed hallway and/or cave" that defined so many Trek sets. I mean, by all means, still DO that, but blow out the world a bit more. Maybe even a section of the ship that is always a VFX background to give it scope.

Fuller does mention it's basically one 13 episode story which I'm okay with but I'm also a curmudgeon who likes his Star Trek as almost entirely done-in-one episodes.

Great, but mean quip I saw a few weeks ago on the Internets: "Bryan Fuller? Is it on the Starship Cancellation?" Zing!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    8472 looked too much like the aliens from the Playstation game, Oddworld

16. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    I sure hope they save some money for alien city designs. Seeing the recycled Cardassian, Romulan, Bajor, etc. cities all look similar just with different color shading got weird. As for storyline, I have to say I sure like the idea of one big 13 episode arc. That will help it feel fresh I think, if it's well-written of course.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Ah yes - alien worlds where they either look like Arizona, California, or Endor.

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Thankfully the alien worlds will look like Canada.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He also says they'll be filming through March, which means, with a January debut, we can extrapolate that it will not be a show releasing all episodes at once.

20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    This is very interesting: http://www.moviefone.com/2016/06/23/bryan-fuller-star-trek-interview/

AND

Cool. Hopefully that means we'll have a crew that spans the length of the series. This seems to go back to my initial theory with the use of the word "crews" in the teaser. That is, we're either seeing a fleet or it centres around life on multiple ships, perhaps a Starbase or something of the like. In the same way that the crews in Deep Space Nine or Battlestar Galactica were at various points.

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Voider like this.
  21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Good news. I was never a fan of the rumour that the new show would be post-TUC/pre-TNG. I'm still hoping for several decades after the destruction of Romulus.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was okay with post Undiscovered Country rumour, if only for some classic designs and angsty Klingons, but now it seems the only period they can go is post destruction of Romulus. Personally, I hope it's as much of a jump as TOS to TNG was, almost a whole darn century. (there is still a bit of a problem that, y'know, you go too far into the future it basically becomes "The Borg won" but I'm sure they will sidestep it). But the further they can distance themselves from the constraints of the TNG era, the better. Not that I hate the 24th Century style but we have so much content around that time I'd rather they jump real far into the future so they can really not have to run by those parameters.

Still have a feeling, which was an unsourced rumour way back before Enterprise premiered, that it might be a time-jumping series ala Relativity but I think that might be a bit on the wacky side.

Yeah, Les Moonves mentioned that at month ago that it'll be a weekly release. Probably a few reasons for that, people in the US just don't get a free monthly CBS All Access subscription and then binge it in a weekend. Simultaneous weekly release on All Access to non-US broadcaster TV stations. Also if they dumped the whole series at once on All Access and released it weekly worldwide, it would allow the series to be pirated before they even air internationally.

Still, I really hope they have the presence of mind to have the 2nd episode immediately ready on All-Access, like, the minute the pilot finishes airing on CBS networks just to keep people hooked.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    We had these classic designs and angsty Klingons now for decades. I think it's time for something new and a show set in the 25th century could provide us exactly that. New crews, new worlds, new aliens, new villains.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You, er, ever read the Destiny trilogy Al? You might want to consider it, that and Watching The Clock.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Not the Destiny Trilogy but I did read the comic "Hive" (co-written by Brannon Braga) which also destroyed the Borg (and featured the death of Seven of Nine, by the way). So, in my personal headcanon, the Borg are kaput. But, on the flipside, they're the freakin' Borg. I mean, c'mon. They're like cockroaches. Assimilating cockroaches.