main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The TOS film era didn't really get an opportunity to be fully explored, despite 6 films set during (most of them had a limited scope). Seeing a post-TUC had potential to cover new ground alongside the familiar.

I'm fine with 25th century though.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Give Destiny a go, think you'll like it.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, Destiny's a good read. Read 'Before Dishonor' and 'Greater Than The Sum' beforehand though to get a full idea of the backstory to the Destiny trilogy though.

I was hoping for the post-TUC timeline for the new show, personally. Favourite uniform, favourite ships and a fairly untouched period of Trek history. Glad there's only 13 episodes though. 20+ episode seasons are just too much now.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Did read Before Dishonour, though, because is Peter David and Janeway was turned into a Borg Queen and the Borg started absorbing / eating things instead of assimilating them. But it had Captain Calhoun from New Frontier in it!

5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Third Star Trek Beyond trailer:

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    "But this is my last report as the captain of the starship Enterprise."

Not a fan of the music in this trailer. Second trailer is still the best IMO.

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Australians: check your netflix. ALL of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT now uploaded.

GO!

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Geez, even Australian Netflix gets them all before the Canadian one. :mad:

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, True Sith have you checked lately? Good news, Canadians with Netflix! THEY'RE ALL THERE! Even the animated series! (I think I've literally only seen Yesteryear.)

TNG was there but left a few months ago, but it looked like it was sourced from VHS but this looks like the HD version! There's a bunch of TNG eps (the classics and not so classics) I've seen a ton of times but I think I'll watch one I haven't seen in forever. Hurm. Tapestry. Haven't seen that in years.

So... Netflix Canada just added all the Star Trek series. On a streaming service. They laying the groundwork for the new Star Trek series? Hope so!

Boba_Fett_2001 and True Sith like this.
  10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I hope CBS-All Access do an international distribution deal with Netflix rather than with local networks. That would be grand.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Netflix Canada is different in a few ways from the US, a big one being if Netflix Canada gets a US broadcast show that has weekly episodes, they add them weekly (Shadowhunters and Scream are 2 series that add new eps weekly). Hey, as long as it hits the same time as on All Access, I'm cool.

Anyway, scratch Tapestry. Now Rascals is an episode I haven't seen in at least probably a decade or more. Gonna do that one.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    We get Scream too, as well as a Japanese teen-drama (both of which are added weekly).

Maybe we will get the new Trek on Netflix. Fingers crossed.

13. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    I see it! They must've just uploaded them because I checked yesterday. Finally!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I got a message that my grandfather rate of $7.99 will go up to $9.99! Netflix you Greedy pigs!

15. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    That's the price of Warp 9.

TX-20, Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I won't mind paying it if they didn't keep removing stuff.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Unpopular opinion, but with both Next Generation and Enterprise on Netflix, one could do a super-sized "Pegasus" / "These Are the Voyages..." combo watch. I did that once, I think you watch the teaser for "Pegasus", go into "These Are the Voyages" and I think watch almost most of the episode and near the end act break after Trip dies, switch into Pegasus for a bit, then the final scenes of TATV and the rest of Pegasus (I believe TATV takes place almost entirely before the final half of Pegasus when the Enterprise gets trapped inside the asteroid field. Definitely TATV ends before Riker tells Picard the truth). I actually thought TATV played much better if you watch Pegasus literally in parts of it. Kind of odd to see Riker and Troi age about a decade when you're flipping back and forth but it does, strangely, work together.

18. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Unpopular opinion: Enterprise is excellent and I prefer it to Voyager. Nearly finished with Season 2.

TX-20 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Season 2 is probably the weakest of Enterprise seasons (although it has some good stuff in there), there's an interesting season-long arc in Season 3 and Season 4 had a bunch of mini-arcs and some of Enterprise's best stuff is in there, the Augments arc, the (real series finale) of "Tera Prime / Demons" ("These Are the Voyages" is more of a bonus TNG episode), and the freakin' pure gold that is "In A Mirror Darkly" two parter.

Sarge likes this.
  20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Looking forward to it. Then, i'm returning to TNG in the lead-up to the new series.

21. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    If only we got that season 5.

TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indeed. Looking forward to my eventual SSCM model of this fella:

[​IMG]

23. True Sith

May 10, 2015
    Yeah the second half of Season 4 was pretty decent until These Are the Voyages. Other than that, and a few other bright spots, Enterprise is by far the worst of the bunch IMO.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting detail I'm reading about the Botany Bay design- Khan's ship was only partially loaded. The "frill" going around it is actually made up of modular cargo components, with room for 3-4 more (arcing above the ship as it does below) and another set behind them.

I can't find an image link to the Jeffries design illustrating this (a concept sketch he actually did before he started work on the Enterprise) but I did find some where you can see the modular aspect:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It paints the ship design as something more functional and interesting IMO.

Another detail tidbit: for the CGI model, at NASA's suggestion, they added an ISS docking port on top of the forward tower, since a ship produced in the 90's would have had one installed.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ended up watching Q-Pid as my first of the Trek series Netflix random episode watch. Hadn't seen that one in a long time and Q is in it. It's definitely a tad on the lackadaisical side before everyone ends up in Sherwood forest, but Trek can be kind of deliberately leisurely paced. I'll probably end up watching a random episode from each series once a week. Because, happily, Star Trek is self contained single episode viewing as opposed to the new series being a freakin season long arc, aggggghhhh!! *ahem* Sorry. Reflex action, won't happen again.