main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The CG quality varies. The early remastered looked too shiny but after they revised the FX models after a few episodes (oddly enough with a lower Rez model) it started to look pretty good, IMO.

Some of the smaller details added here and there made for nice touches (like adding Klingon ships into shots where they should have been, etc).

Re: Kahn, if you're looking for episodes tangentially connected to the Augments, there's another episode dealing with someone connected to the eugenics wars as well but I forget which off the top of my head ( I was to say it's the one with the actor and murderer aboard).

Re: Turnabout Intruder, it's such a frustrating episode. As a finale it almost kinda works because it's one of the very few episodes to utilize any kind of continuity and callback to previous events in the series, so there's a little bit of a look back to a devree.

However, it also ruins this by being selective about it and ignoring obvious past events that would resolve the situation in the episode. You can't have it both ways.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The CG quality varies. The early remastered looked too shiny but after they revised the FX models after a few episodes (oddly enough with a lower Rez model) it started to look pretty good, IMO.

Some of the smaller details added here and there made for nice touches (like adding Klingon ships into shots where they should have been, etc).

Re: Kahn, if you're looking for episodes tangentially connected to the Augments, there's another episode dealing with someone connected to the eugenics wars as well but I forget which off the top of my head ( I was to say it's the one with the actor and murderer aboard).

Re: Turnabout Intruder, it's such a frustrating episode. As a finale it almost kinda works because it's one of the very few episodes to utilize any kind of continuity and callback to previous events in the series, so there's a little bit of a look back to a devree.

However, it also ruins this by being selective about it and ignoring obvious past events that would resolve the situation in the episode. You can't have it both ways.

Instead, I kinda prefer to reorder things and bump the season 2 episode By Any Orher Name (where the Kelvins hijack the Enterorise) back into being the series finale as there's a thematic book ending with the whole journey to the galactic barrier first seen in Where No Man Has Gone Before (the "first" episode).

BigAl6ft6 and ShaneP like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

If you're thinking of The Conscience of the King - while Kodos used eugenic theories to decide what portion of the population to execute to prevent starvation, the incident itself took place long after the Khan era:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kodos

Colonel Green was another eugenics-based murderer- but again - this was 21st century whereas Kahn was late 20th:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Phillip_Green

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Re: "Turnabout Intruder", last I heard it was a bit controversial among some Trekkers due to it being perceived as sexist. Specifically, it's been viewed as saying that women weren't qualified to be starship captains. I understand this is from two lines, one from Janice ("Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women") and one from Janice/K ("A position she warrants by neither temperment nor training").
    Personally, I don't see the problem here. The former line seems to refer more to Kirk than Starfleet (as in the only woman Kirk will allow in his life is the Enterprise). And the latter line is true; Janice Lester can't be a captain because she's untrained for it, and is mentally disturbed.

My problem with the episode is that so many of the crew, especially Security, go along with Kirk/J when he's obviously not acting in character and is breaking major league regulations. You'd think after "Enemy Within" they'd be more careful, and ordering an execution is clearly grounds for Article 184. The scenes where Chekhov and Sulu stand up to him are well-played, though.

I do agree that Sandra Smith does a good job as Janice/K. And, according to one of David Gerrold's books, the episode did provide a funny blooper. Reportedly, during the scene where McCoy gives Kirk his physical, De finished the scene by announcing, "Captain, you're pregnant." Gerrold wrote that Shatner nearly hit the floor laughing.

BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Lest we forget...

[​IMG]

...designer Matt Jefferies, who died on this date in 2003.

[​IMG]

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Um, IIRC from the Star Trek Encyclopedia printed in the late 90's, Enterprise-A wasn't hastily built. It was actually just an existing Constitution craft re-christened with the name and registry #. The Georgetown I believe, one of the craft disabled by the Rama Whale Probe as it approached Earth. I always assumed that it crapped out when it jumped to warp because its repairs or refit didn't pass QT.

7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It was the Yorktown.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Personally, I'd have preferred that Enterprise-A had been seriously damaged in a dangerous assignment, rather than be a lemon from the get-go. The latter makes you think Star Fleet decided to stick Kirk with a clunker as a punishment for all the diplomatic hassles he'd been part of in recent days.

9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

At least Scotty got it working between V and VI, although General Chang did his best to make it even more worthless than a lemon.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A Christopher Plummer Klingon Reference! A good note to return on.. :D

BigAl6ft6, TX-20, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is pretty darn great, really.

Okay, well, that is a rather spoilerly trailer. Anyway, Voyage Home I felt takes awhile to kick in, there's a bit too much placesetting from Star Trek III's fallout although there is a nice build of menace with the probe being unstoppable. (I also kind of love how the President of the Federation basically says "Well, we're dead, bye universe") the time-travel scene itself has a great wind-up but I'm always a bit befuddled by the abstract floating heads. And it's almost 40 minutes until the crew lands in the past. but it's got an amazing stretch for about an hour of the crew in '80s, and moreso than some other TOS movies, each crewmember gets some little bit of memorable business or a great line. Chekov has some truly hilarious stuff when he talks to a snarky military guy. Aside from a very strong environmental message, I think a big theme of this movie is Spock regaining his humanity and affection for his friends. Search For Spock is sort of about the Vulcan stuff, and Spock got more Vulcan-y in between the movies, so this is Spock learning to be Kirk's friend again. And it has some of the best Spock moments in possibly the entire series, especially when Spock demonstrates he can't quite figure out colourful metaphors. But he still tries anyway, even when they're leaving Earth "One damn minute, Admiral!" Super fun movie, especially everything in the past with is some of the best cast chemistry.

Then there's just Star Trek

Great moviemaking and, more importantly, a really great Star Trek movie as well. Yes, people talk really fast (which befits the movie's pace) yes the camera shakes and lens flares (but it gives the film a distinct visual style which hasn't been seen in Star Trek before). Some shockingly good casting of the TOS crew, which is made even more surprising since the original characters are so iconic. A really well written script with some great dialogue exchanges "What is it, you like being the only genius repeat offender in the Midwest?" is a line that always sticks in my head which shows that Kirk is hella smart but this Kirk has to learn to grow. And one of the most clever usages of time travel in the series by creating an alternate reality which blows out the increasingly complex continuity baggage yet still has to work within certain confines of that beautiful stew of Trek lore and continuity, mostly sorta, by having things from the original "Prime" timeline still occur, but a tad sideways (however, that notion is explored more in the next film). But, like good Star Trek, it has a moral/character/philisophical conundrum in the relationship between Kirk and Spock, where they have to overcome their differences. Which Kirk gets a little help from via the original Spock. Which is amazing. Hellva flick, really.

Then there's Star Trek Into Darkness

The opening 10 minutes of this movie is really great and flows very nicely from the end of the first film, and the punchline to the scene is grand. Which flows into the "real" opening of the movie, sorta, with an almost all musical montage of an officer who has to make a pretty horrible decision and it's a nice slow burn. Overall, this movie plays with the notion of the alternate Trek reality wherein the pieces of the original continuity are still showing up but a tad sideways and askew. What happens when a Shifty Admiral tries to use Khan for Starfleet black ops missions? It all goes to hell because it's freakin Khan. It has a bit more on it's mind with a moral conundrum about government sponsored assassination missions that Kirk has to crew on for a bit, which is a nice piece of Star Trek morality play. actually holding back on the poster-baddie until about an hour into the flick and not even revealing the real baddie of the movie, Admiral Marcus, until even later, is pretty neat. Heck, basically the movie unfolds in real time from when the Enterprise pops out of warp at Kronos until the end, while it may not have many spots to slow down for the fun character interactions that were the heart of the previous film, it makes up for it in just basically being a giant action scene. And the cast chemistry is so good even if they're just running all over the place,they still play off each other well. And I really like how this is truly Kirk's movie, like a lot of classic TOS is.

And then Star Trek Beyond....
    .... which starts in 40 minutes, ahhh! Well, okay with trailers 50. Anyway, I gotta go, bye!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    ST: IV is my fave Trek movie. I don't tend to go for light or funny but this works for me. The Humanity of Spock's journey is awesome. :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  14. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
  15. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
  16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I like it- a nice nod to the shuttle, I assume.

You don't abbreviate the ST usually for a series (the NU trek films don't give us a choice). Ie: VOY not STV.

So this would be DIS, presumably.

18. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005

Ugliest Trek ship ever? It's certainly a contender.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW- now that we have a title and such, folks are welcome to create the dedicated thread for the series.

20. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Probably very early CGI. I guess it will look better later.

I still don't know what to think of it. I really had hopes for a post-VOY/Nemesis series in the 25th century, but the registry number NCC-1031 implies that this is set in the post-ENT/pre-TOS era. Kind of a bummer if that is true.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  21. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005

I'm not talking about the CGI, but the actual design. I know it's based on the McQuarrie idea for the Enterprise refit but I've always thought that design was terrible.

jabberwalkie and Sarge like this.
  22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Looks like a pie tin with a bridge stuck on top. Either that or a cheap hub cap.

edit: Actually, it's like a roulette wheel with a starship theme.

Sarge likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Holy crap! Just watched the video. That's the McQuarrie Enterprise!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Yeah, that's an ugly ship. Inspired by Phase II concept sketches, I think. Sketches I never cared for.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I never liked the McQuarrie Trek starship designs. The one painting I did like of his was the star base inside an asteroid. That was cool.