main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    And with a 25th century series, you could get Dorn to reprise the actual Worf from TNG/DS9. ;)

2. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    And JG Hertzler as Martok. :D

3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    USS Rediscovery (NCC-1031A)

Darth Basin likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    JG's Martok is my fave Klingon followed by Warner's Gorkon. :D

5. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Ah but Warner has not only been a Klingon, but a Cardassian and Human character as well. :D

Really, Martok might be by favorite Klingon with Gowron being hilarious just for being such a character with loud and over acting at times (IMO). Christopher Plummer's General Chang was pretty awesome as well. If only for no other reason that he had the ego of Khan to taunt Kirk.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed and his Cardassian is very deep in a completely contrasting way to Gorkon as well. I enjoy when a performer can do both sides of the coin well.:)

Chang is awesome too I love that Plummer's love of Literature is reflected. :D

Gowron is awesome simply for annoying Worf! :p

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, the dynamic between Stewart and Warner was one of the main reasons that Chain of Command Part 2 was so excellent.

8. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    To be fair though, many things and people annoy Worf. Especially Quark. ;)

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well, Worf annoys the Cushy. :p

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But it might be refreshing to have him play a "new" character rather than the one he's played for 30 years.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I say let Michael Dorn be Michael Dorn free of prosthetics. Enough of the makeup. He's paid his dues.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Pair him with Rene as a Human, that'd be interesting how would their dynamic change? :)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The shrink on Castle was definitely an interesting change of pace.

ShaneP likes this.
  14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    It would have been cool if Worf accepted the Chancellorship after he killed Gowron. I thought he gave it up way too easily. Even though Martok is awesome, it might have been an interesting to see Worf get rewarded for all the suffering he's endured over the course of two shows.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree but I think he was right not to accept it. He's a loyal officer above anything not a figurehead.

TX-20, Sarge and Darth Caliban like this.
  16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Eh, I don't think so. Even though Worf was a fantastic warrior and tactician, I don't think that he would have commanded the respect that Martok did. That and I think much of the Klingon Empire would still consider him an outsider regardless of his inclusion into the House of Martok given his time among humans and Starfleet.

What he did arguably saved the Empire, but it was also done for the love of his people and honor in regards to the position of Chancellor of the High Council.

17. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    That's true.
    Worf related- is it ever said in novels or anything afterward about what happened to Kern? I'm curious if they are able to restore his memories and identity once Gowron is gone. I'm sure Martok would restore his place on the Council, etc.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    AFAIK, once Kurn had his memory wiped that was where his story ended. I don't know of any further stories involving him. In the non-canon novels Worf returned to Starfleet eventually.

19. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I remember that he got his memory back. Was it in one of the I.K.S. Gorkon Novels?

Edit: I'm going to check Memory Beta.

Edit 2: Found it. It was in Klingon Empire: A Burning House

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Rodek,_son_of_Noggra

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, a return to the Bennyverse?

TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That would be interesting see a further commentary on race and such.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Well, they were both in Star Trek VI, although Rene's character wasn't in the original theatrical version, and they briefly shared screentime towards the end.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He'd probably still be in jail if he showed up again.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As for Star Trek: Discovery, I'm just downright stoked that it's a new damn TV series, dangnabit, and there's a title, which is a pretty decent one. Although I was hoping for a 25th Century Enterprise. I'm not quite sure if the registry number automatically means it's post-ENT, pre-TOS so I'll just hang back on juding that, literally all we have now is a ship design and a title. And the CGI was obviously temp so it sorta looked like something outta the mid 90s CGI but it got across the scope. The old McQuarrie design I think is a decent choice, makes the ship a bit bulkier than the sleek TNG era. The good ole NX-01 and the classic Enterprise are still my favourite of the basic designs. The only thing that irks me about this ship is that it's gold. That's odd. Meta-reference it's gold because CBS All Access (and CraveTV in Canada) want all of your monies so they can coat the goddamn ship in Gold! Anyway, yeah, I wish it was the Enterprise. But good title anyway and the creative team behind it seems solid and I just love seeing a new ship fly again. Wish they gave away a few more details, though.

Anyway, speaking of TV series and the movies, I really dug Star Trek Beyond (but there's a thread for that), however, I do wanna bring up something re. TV series in Star Trek Beyond, so maybe a better fit here. Obviously, TOS is the biggest influence on the movie (and the best TOS shout-out is when Scotty talks about a missing ship possibly "being grabbed by a giant green hand in space"). I thought DS9 seemed to be an influence on the Swarm baddies / the gaggle of survivors on the planet and mish mash of technology sort of reminded me on the Dominion. but a huge influence on Beyond in the 2nd half of the movie, turns out to be Enterprise. So I'll spoiler tag that bit. And Beyond and season 3-5 Enterprise megaspoilers too so beware:

Which I thought was really cool that Enterprise's worldbuilding was used to basically inform the backstory of Beyond. While on my 1st viewing I was having minor geek agita re. time and dates when the USS Franklin would have occurred but it seems to shake out after a cursory glance at Memory Alpha (also Pegg recently said that timeline changes from Nero and Spock shake out in both directions so that is the ultimate exit). Franklin is the first Warp 4 vessel, the Enterprise is the first warp 5 vessel and the look of the Franklin is heavily influenced by the NX-01. Although the registry numbers may not quite jive since Enterprise was NX-01 and the Franklin is the NX-whatever but, hey, maybe 01 meant Warp 5. So the USS Franklin was kept in service around the time of the Enterprise, up to and including the Xindi and even beyond to the Romulan war. And Krall it turns out is a mutated human, Edison, who was in service of those wars (aside, hearing Idris Elba snarl "The Xindi and Romulan wars!!" was a special kind of Trekkie geekiness awesome level).

Also Scotty referenced that Edison was a MACO, another piece of Enterprise continuity which were then disbanded when they formed the Federation (basically, super simple terms, Edison has a bone to pick with the Federation because they cost him his job.) So if he was a MACO who fought the Xindi, actually it was really only the good ole NX-01 I think that actually went into Xindi space, armed with MACOs, and Edison could have likely been a part of that crew. So it seems to be MACOS get fired, Federation is formed, Edison is given the Franklin, which is really just a curiosity at this point since even the NX-01 by the time of the founding of the Federation is outdated, the Romulan war occur afterward, I believe then Edison and the Franklin get lost in space, which then Edison over 100 years morphs into Krall. As he absorbs more humans he starts to sound more human and I kind of love when he first arrives at the space station he says "Look how far they've come" as he's coming home. To kill them all, I guess. So moral of Beyond is, don't give a MACO a spaceship as a way to keep him happy! Because 100 years later he'll come back and try to blow you up!

TX-20 and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...

[​IMG]

TX-20, Juliet316, Sarge and 1 other person like this.