main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Many thanks!

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Can someone explain T'Pol's weird Saxophone dreams? I think they took place in San Francisco but I never understood the point.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I haven't seen that episode in many years...

but, the point is, the music elicited an emotional response in her. Obviously that has significance to a Vulcan.

This is in the episode where she meets those "Vulcans without logic", the Vulcans who let themselves experience emotion, and she dabbles in that a bit. She has a dream where she relives that moment on Earth with the jazz music, and the dream is full of emotion, psychology and symbolic meaning, naturally.

The episode is about the Vulcan battle between logic and emotion.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know what random Enterprise episode I want to watch, possibly tonight? It's from Season 3 but it's a Western one. North Star. It's fairly disconnected from the Xindi arc but I dig Western Star Trek episodes, kind of breaks off one of Star Trek's component parts (The Western) and just rolls with it. Maybe pair it up with TOS Spectre of the Gun and TNG's Fistful of Datas. Did DS9 and Voyager ever have Western episodes?

5. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Is it true that every big television show has to have a western episode at some point? And a musical episode?

I'll be honest, I really enjoyed the Xindi arc. Some of the best ST, I've seen.

jabberwalkie and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    DS9 had an overriding western idea behind the show (sheriff and his son come to a frontier outpost) but I don't think they ever an actual western episode. Miles & Julian had a recurring Davey Crockett holo program but I don't think we ever saw it.

VOY had the civil war Q episode but that's not quite the same thing.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think the closest we ever got to that O'Brian's model of the Alamo.

8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, one of the ways Gene Roddenberry pitched TOS was as "'Wagon Train' to the Stars".

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I've seen some of Voyager before but I was round a friends and we put on a random episode, it was the Civil War episode.

I'm not sure what was going on.

I haven't seen it all nor half, I've barely scratched the surface but the Q seem like a terrible creation. They are literally deus ex machines.

Was it that episode or something because it didn't really make sense?
    How was I meant to be invested in Q/ the Q continuum. Why can't a/ the original Q (John de Lancie) just plug the othera Q's out of existence and then himself?

It was just rife with problems.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I saw the new Trek film tonight. People in the cinema seemed to love it. Ms V-2 loved it. I was mostly aghast, though a few jokes got me, and the odd bit of nostalgia got me. The cast have really grown into their roles, most of the effect work was good, but the writing and the plot just left me feeling cheated.

Nearly every line was a callback or a feed for a callback, which was very frustrating. It works in standup comedy and comedy films, but it gets very tiring when the formula is so blatant - and when it's not being used just for laughs. So much plot convenience, too. My head was in my hands when the ****ing motorbike turned up. Captain Krull's memory loss wasn't explained enough for my liking - why did he forget where he put his starship? Or he knew where it was but one day it appeared to vanish (shortly after the white lady escaped) so why didn't he have someone go and check? Wouldn't having an actual Federation starship make his job much easier? Fly the damn thing into the base as a returning hero and set off your bomb from there. Why did the nanomite bomb have to be set off in such a specific location inside the base? Why not just set it off as soon as they got inside the station's atmosphere?

The end credits were literally awesome though.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    re. Krall's master plan

The Franklin was smashed and broken. It took Our Heroes to get it to work again. Which leads to my favourite line of the movie: "You take my house and you make it fly!" which oddly I think it pretty thematic of the movie what with the characters / family in their flying house / Enterprise and all. And she delivers the line perfectly. Also I don't think Edison/Krall particularly wanted to go back there, old ghosts and all. And he had his badass drone squad anyway.

As for WHERE he wanted to detonate it, from a spoiler podcast apparently it had to get sucked up into the air / gravity thingie to spread across the whole base, which leads to the whacked out gravity fight. I'd wager if he just, y'know, set it off in a corner Yorktown would be like "Holy Cats! Someone turn on the shields / close the door or whatever. Phew. That was close. Now where is that jerk.... he's Edison? You gotta be kidding me!"

12. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Happy Birthday to...
    [​IMG]

...and lest we forget...
    [​IMG]

13. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    And on this date in 1977:

V-2, Darth_Invidious, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a reminder, the 50 Years of ST special airs on History Channel tonight in about 15 min.

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000

If there's another Trek movie, I'd totally love to see some kind of triangle between Spock, Uhura, and T'Pring. Especially what with Spock Prime being dead, there's that whole "responsibility to his species" angle they could work...

16. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    T'Pring would make a particularly interesting antagonist.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watching that History special, makes it hard to believe that Nimoy is gone (it features his final interview).

Got a couple small details wrong (labeled scene from AGT as Yesterday's Enterprise) and focused mostly on TOS & TNG but DS9 & VOY get a decent touching upon. ENT isn't forgotten but barely has any presence.

We also learn that NASA's Mohawk Guy's favorite TNG movie was Insurrection, which resulted in a loud exclamation of disbelief in my part.... ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Riker is so awesome in Insurrection, though First Contact is probably the best TNG film.

19. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    That is good to know!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Model that came today was this design failure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While it admittedly has more character than the JJprise (though that's a pretty low bar), I'm still shocked by how utterly confusing the design is to look at. Even when you read the diagram that tells you which pod is the secondary hill and which is the nacelle, you still forget which has which when actually looking at it.

It's not entirely Church's fault though- his versions of the design are a little easily to reconcile as they have more TOS undertones. It's ILM's addition of more glowing sections that really hurts it- mostly because of conflicting design languages. The Kelvin was meant to be more TOS in design, so it has the amber, round nacelle cap while the original design had the TOS deflector dish. But ILM added the glowing blue JJ dish... and blue is also the color of the JJ nacelle caps

So are we looking at a blue deflector and amber nacelle? Or an amber deflector with blue nacelle? Even when you know the answer your mind can't render a verdict. The single nacelle symmetry doesn't help things either.

That said, I do like the paneling detail ILM added- they operated under the idea that the Kelvin is very old and has seen a lot of action, so very few of the hull panels match from being replaced all the time.

So, that's four special issue models so far that I've received (special issues are oversized models)- all four from ST09 & STID. Really hurts that I'm still waiting for the specials for DS9 & the NX-Refit... but then, given their extra cost, it's best for my wallet if they spread them out. Still, if have been fine getting the D4 after DS9...

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    That's my favorite of the new movie designs. I like how it adds some balance to the classic but ugly tech manual single nacelle designs with that upper section. But yeah, don't like the dish. I'm not a fan of glowy blue accents on ships in general.

BigAl6ft6 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I like Generations more, as First Contact was a big step in destroying the Borg. It introduced the Borg Queen and the Zombie Borg Concept.

By the way, i wonder how it could be that there were tribunals like the one in 2079, if the vulcans were on earth for about 16 years?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My only quibble with the single nacelle from a tech perspective is the general notion that you're supposed to need two with line of sight in order for them to function- and while you can techno babble that away the rest of the franchise has always designed around that principle- it's why there are nacelle struts, placements, etc.

From a design POV I like the idea of a raised secondary hull- Church's near-final designs actually had two lower nacelles with the single upper secondary hull and it looked great. It gave it a sort of retro fin in a way, mixed with the Miranda-class.

But going down to one nacelle loses that and creates a symmetry that causes the visual confusion as there's no other prominent details to provide an orientation point of reference, further averaged by the blue dish. (And I LIKE glowy blue parts of ships- this only shows how that can be used poorly).

Really, with the Kelvin, the best case scenario is you think you're looking at a Snork in starship form. ;)

EDIT- this one shows the improvement of the Kelvin form when you don't add the blue dish:

[​IMG]

The two nacelle design images do not appear to be online, though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I honestly like all of the TOS and TNG films for their own merit, though TMP and TFF are definitely the weakest. The unofficial trilogy of TWoK, TSfS, and TVH is an excellent arc. TUC is also excellent. Generations is solid, especially in its use of Guinan. First Contact is excellent, specifically because of the Borg Queen and its sequel nature to The Best of Both Worlds. Insurrection is more of a TNG two part episode than the other TNG films. Nemesis is very reminiscent of TWoK, with plenty of potential to follow up on that was never really realized.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I refuse to buy into the idea that TMP is among the weakest films. It's still the only pure science fiction film Trek has made to date. With more time, better writers, and more organization, it could have been a great film.