main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002

I guess this is why there were no Hindus on Kirk's Enterprise?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    13. I now think of Michelle Forbes as Admiral Cain rather than Ensign Wrinkly-Nose Kira-Nerys-acts-way-too-much-like-her Ro Laren.

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    She'll always be Ensign Ro to me. [face_love]

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    14. Chief O'Brien is not an officer, yet he changes among Ensign and Lt. rank pins for no reason.

15. Come to think of it, why are so many people on the ship officers? We rarely see enlisted personnel depicted even as tertiary characters.

5. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I would imagine that most of the so called "Redshirts", being security guys, are in fact enlisted men.

6. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    cause **** those guys

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    How many of the 1000+ crew do you see every episode? Not many. I'm guessing the bulk of them are enlisted.

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    All of the bridge crew are officers, even though I don't think it should be necessary (or practical). And even the lowliest members of La Forge's and Worf's posses of yellowshirts tend to be at least ensigns. I've always assumed that the writers (and costuming) often forgot about enlisted men.

9. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I found this about families on the Enterprise. I think he pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Regarding the presence of families on starships, Ronald D. Moore commented "Perhaps [still] on some Galaxy-class ships, but I think this was an experiment that failed." [2] "I think that the "family friendly" starship notion was an interesting idea, but one that didn't pan out. There was always something awkward about Picard ordering the ship into battle situations with kiddies running through the corridors. And no matter how much lip service we paid to the "our families are part of our strength" concept, it never seemed very smart or very logical to bring the spouse and kids along when you're facing down the Borg, or guarding the Neutral Zone, or plunging the ship into uncharted spatial anomalies." [3]

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think RDM always took issue with Roddenberry's more "utopian" concepts. :p

16. The kids who play Guinan, Ro, Keiko, and especially Picard in "Rascals" did a surprisingly good job portraying the characters. The kid even does the Picard Maneuver!

11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    She'll always be the Oceanic PR lady to me.

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think the fact that the Klingons still use their D7 is even more amusing, they used to give a challenge to Kirk in his old pre-refit Enterprise and they're still using them during the Dominion war.

Obviously most of the ships do get a refit with modern weapons, as seen in DS9 with the USS Lakota, in the Homefront/Paradise lost two parter.

Still I suppose it's better then the old series, where the only other Federation starship we saw was the constitution class with a renumbered Enterprise registry (e.g. NCC - 1017)

I never liked the Galaxy looks, and I still think the D is the ugliest Enterprise but I started to appreciate the looks more more during the Dominion war in DS9.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The Defiant crew was surprised that an Excelsior could take them, so the Lakota was unique (and it was the only other Enterprise-B type shown).

14. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    To be fair, Kirk doesn't really "get" that many either. Sure, he kisses like 95% of them, but they invariably die or must be left behind in some horrible circumstance by the end of the episode.

You'd think he'd get a rep and chicks would avoid him after a bit.

15. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    K'Tinga class? One of those also appears in Enterprise and taking that at face value gives them about a 200 year service life.

At any rate, wikipedia's telling me the USAF still flies planes that have been in continuous service since the '50s: the B-52, the KC-135, the C-130 and the U-2. And they might fly the B-52 past 2040. I think that's about where the Excelsiors are in TNG, 80+ service years.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, but the USAF hasn't faced an equal opponent since the Korean War at best; none of their potential enemies would have an easy time taking down a B-52. The Borg and Dominion were superior to the best the Federation had. A Borg cube took out an entire fleet and reached Earth. Hell, a second Borg cube also reached Earth even when Starfleet knew very well what they were up against. The Dominion took out the Odyssey (a Galaxy-class) on their first encounter with the Federation.

The USAF has no real motivation to replace the B-52's. I'd say Starfleet had more than enough reason to replace their antiquated ships.

17. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    The Dominion is still huge and probably several times more powerful than any one alpha quadrant power, I would imagine.

Give them time. One day the Jem'Hadar will conquer Earth, and all will be right with the Galaxy.

18. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    But they were replacing their antiquated ships e.g. Defiant, Akira, Steamrunner and Saber class to name a few. It's just replacing and constructing hundreds of ships takes time. :p

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know. The Federation has a huge amount of resources and very large shipyards. :p

And shouldn't ships like the Ambassador class have replaced Excelsiors long before then? It seems like Starfleet had a long period of no new ship classes between the Excelsior and Ambassador (decades)-- or at least none that proved successful.

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Also the Intrepid, Sovereign, Prometheus, Nova, Centaur... how many more classes of ships do you want? :p

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    See above edit. All those classes were developed only in the TNG era, and they were far from replacing the ancient hulks even years into a fullscale war. :p

22. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Aug 9, 2000
    You guys should play "Starfleet Battles", where this sort of obsessive Trekky nerdery will help you achieve superiority over other nerds.

23. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well all I can say is thank god for CGI. Otherwise who knows how many kit-bash monstrosities we might have seen in DS9 and Voyager.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Fantasy fodder...

Troi or Yar?