main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Starship Down and Little Green Men were on the same VHS cassette when I used to buy them back in the day. It was definitely one of my most favourite volumes.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.thepoke.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/cloud.jpg]

(via dp4m on fb)

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's obviously the result of time travel and/or faulty technobabble.

[image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080813120245/memoryalpha/en/images/8/8e/Suspirias_array.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070516170627/memoryalpha/en/images/3/32/Tuvok%27s_blood_boiling.jpg]
    VOY 210: Cold Fire
    -Premise: While attempting to make contact with the Caretaker's mate (who may have the ability to send Voyager home), the crew discovers a colony of Ocampa whose representative has an interest in Kes and helping her explore her telepathic powers.

-T2Q Comments: Woah, this is weird- this is the first "Previously On..." we've ever seen that A) Is not a "Part II" and B) Does not begin with "Previously On...". This is almost like a stand-in for a revised title sequence or opening premise narration. Almost makes you wonder if the show might have found more focus if it had it's opening sequence begin with an evolving narration over the nature of their mission as an audience hook and something to build towards/upon...but i suppose at the time it would seem like too much of a B5 thing perhaps?

Worth noting that it's been 10 months since the events of Caretaker.. shouldn't that one crew member have had her baby by now?

"Lots of people but so little life" see that's when you play the "ship runs on bio-tech" card to shut him up.

Seems like the Caretakers have a bit of a Shadow/Vorlon philosophical disagreement.

"Vulcans make the worst patients."

Some of the "Kess join the darkside" training works, some of it is a bit too much and drags some. Having the girl with the deeper voice comes across a bit Corbomite Manuever-esque.

Not a great episode but not bad. with the developing of Kes's abilities and the followup of the female Caretaker plot, I suppose this one is Definitely Essential in what arc progression the series has currently- but since Suspiria doesn't show up or play a factor again it kinda makes the series look bad, or at least the characters- Janeway didn't even take tim to explain what happened to the Caretaker after Suspiria was captured (and no longer attacking them out of anger), so it makes Janway's decision at the end seem even more stupid.

Trivia: Suspiria's concept was included in the pilot as a "get out clause" (a means of changing Voyager's format) for the studio, who were wary of reaction to the lost-in-space concept. The use of Suspiria here without sending Voyager home indicates an increased confidence in the notion since the plot was produced. The director (who had previously worked with guest star Gary Grahm on M.A.N.T.I.S.) felt that both he and Gary could have done better on the episode. Suspiria is never seen again on the series and is only vaguely mentioned once more in the series.

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061126025105/memoryalpha/en/images/6/66/Korworf.jpg]
    DS9 409: The Sword of Kahless
    -Premise: Klingon Dahar Master Kor, Jadzia Dax, and Worf search for the fabled Sword of Kahless on a remote planet in the Gamma Quadrant.

-T2Q Comments: Kor returns, Worf references him and Kirk on Organia. That Lethian species attacks Kor with that psychic attack...has more impact after having seen that awful Bashir episode. Kor tells a good story. House of Duras's Torall returns from TNG Redemption. I think this is the first episode to reference back to the Emperor being a clone of Kahless.

Slight editing error- the wide shot shows Dax raising her weapon at Worf and Kor, then goes to closeups for tension where she hasn't raised her weapon yet, then they go wide again and have her raise it again to fire.

This one is basically a sequel to Blood Oath, with throwbacks to the Kahless clone of TNG and the overall Gowron stuff going on in DS9 with Worf, so we'll go Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Directed by Levar Burton. This was the first episode of the 4th season, outside of Way of the Warrior, to have been written after Worf joined the show- as such, it's the first post-WOTW episode to fully integrate him into the show beyond B-stories. Initial

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All the Trek series (except DS9, which will come later) are now on Netflix instant. :D

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Why not DS9? I remember having DS9 on demand with UK Virgin TV about 4 years ago.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    For whatever reason, there's a delay. I don't know why.

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The Netflix people cried when they came upon the "Past Tense" two-parter, that's why.

(Especially the scene where Sisko tells Bashir that the people of the 21st century will remember to care)

8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Been going through Enterprise and there was one thing that stood out to me:

The episode "Fight or Flight". At the end they drop Hoshi's pet, Sluggo, on a planet more suited to it's needs based on where they got it.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050514142309/memoryalpha/en/images/3/31/Sluggo.jpg]

I question how much research was done before introducing a foreign species... from another planet.... into this new ecosystem. :p

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember reading somewhere that Sluggo was played by a California banana slug.

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Thanks to Netflix, I've been able to watch my favorite Voyager episodes for the first time in years. One I've always remembered is "Barge of the Dead" (I probably mentioned it in this thread). There's some stilted acting (in a Trek show?!?!?!??!?) and the "moral" is a bit too vague, but my favorite part about it is how the nature of B'Elanna's visions is kept ambiguous. No aliens, not necessarily a coma dream-- emphasized by the fact that she said it was particularly vivid. It was certainly not the "afterlife" as Klingons saw it, since she did not actually go to Grethor and the whole point was to teach her about some touchy-feely thing.

11. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    This is the most irritating character in all of Trek. The whole time I'm yelling at the screen CALM THE **** DOWN!!! WTF is wrong with you?

I loled at Janeway's reaction when the alien finally died. She doesn't reflect on the loss of a life, as is usual in Trek. She just keeps it moving. LOL

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I was just thinking how sad it is that Shatner and Nimoy are still doing tv/movies yet haven't done anything Trek related together in 20 years. Unless there was something since ST:VI that I'm forgetting.

13. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Star Trek 2009 was 20 years ago! ****, I missed my exam!

Wait- could you be saying that the Leonard Nimoy in that movie is a clone. Is this the beginning of the invasion? Is it? TELL ME!

[image=http://www.4freaks.com/media/201115/4da1f2b47878d84556cc80f223547f7a.jpg]

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He said that Nimoy and Shatner haven't done any Trek together. :p

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yes that was the key word. :p

What about that Futurama episode, does that count?

16. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I apologize. My lazy snark jumped the gun. [face_blush]

I think the Futurama thing does count- a parody/affectionate needling of Star Trek is still about Star Trek.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001

It only counts if they recorded their lines together. :p

So I finished Enterprise, and it was exactly how I remember it. The first two seasons, with a few exceptions, are horribly dull. Then, the Xindi Arc lets the characters shine. Not every episode is a good one, but there are some greats in there. Season 4 keeps the momentum with the 2 and 3 episode long arcs, with good stories.

Then, there's These Are The Voyages. I can't count how many ways this was such an insulting way to send out the show. Even if you set all the Riker & Troi stuff aside, this is my biggest issue with it:

*Voyager spoilers HTR, just in case*

The whole series sets up how important this crew, specifically Archer, is. The series first tagline was "Meet Kirk's Childhood Hero" for crying out loud. They bring it back to the forefront of your mind toward the end of season 3 with Daniels insisting Archer not board the Xindi Weapon himself, that he's too important. We're given a glimpse of the birth of the Federation, the signing of the charter for the Coalition of Planets and shown that Archer is the driving force behind it.

This is where an unfortunate similarity to Voyager begins
    . At the end of the episode, here it is; The ceremony for the signing of the charter for the Coalition of Planets. The exact same one we were shown the previous season. This is what the whole series has built up to (albeit rushed). You knew the series would end here from the beginning. Archer steps out to make his speech, and cut to Riker and Troi RUBBING IT IN that we can't hear the speech. "If only we could tell them how this would give birth to the Federation." Then it ends.

Just like Voyager. Here's the goal these characters you've watched for the last seven years have worked toward. Bet you're excited to see them get back to Earth, reunite with their families, catch up with Starfleet since they missed the whole Dominion War... NOPE.

18. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Yeah, but to be fair, that episode wasn't written as a series finale. How awesome would it have been if that was the sneak peak we got and then 3 more seasons building up to that point, and in the ACTUAL series finale we heard some epic inspirational speech that made us all lobby our congressmen to give more money to NASA?

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They wrote it to "work" as a series finale if the series were not renewed, so you're half-right.

20. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I read they proposed the episode, wrote the episode, had it approved, then found out it was going to be the series finale and said "****"

21. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    It was intended as the season finale no matter what, and wasn't the intended series finale, true. The cancellation announcement came about 3 weeks before filming started, so I'm not sure how much time they would have had to rework things. Still, they had enough time to rewrite, they could have at least given Archer his speech.

Season 5 would had a lot of potential, I like to think. Among changes planned were that Enterprise was going to be refit with a secondary hull, Shran would have been a more regular character, and more.

Also, just to put it out there, Trip isn't dead. Read The Good That Men Do. ;)

22. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Okay, now I sound like I'm just making crap up, and as usual I'm not devoted enough to seek out a source, but I thought I read (on memory alpha maybe? i dunno) that they were originally thinking about moving that episode to season 5, and the writers were angry when it was made into the finale. Though that could just be some revisionist history to shift the blame for the crappy finale.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Found this:

Berman Bothered By 'These Are the Voyages...' Criticism

But then another article contradicts the statement about Trip's death:

Rick Berman Says 'Trip' Choice Would Have Been Same Even if ENTERPRISE Hadn't Ended

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That thing was for real? I thought Drexler did it just for the hell of it.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    There's concept art for it? Gimme gimme!