main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. LORDeron_MAULer

LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    If Picard was the exception by the best of Both Worlds, why did he constantly threaten the crew and the galaxy with assimilation?

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I stand corrected. I remembered his "You will service us" line, which he said after "Resistance is futile." Still, the Borg are different in "Q Who?"

3. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Ug, yeah, Code of Honor was horrible. This is why it's best to start from season 3 when going through the series in order, IMO. :p

Also, best quote ever from IQ-of-80-Yar:
    "Lutan is such... such a basic male image and having him say he wants you..."
    "Well, yes of course, it made me feel good when he... Troi, I'm your friend and you tricked me!"

And Crusher's nightmare featuring the corpses in the morgue coming back to life really freaked me out when I was younger, too. That was more Doctor Who-ish than TNG!

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, if I had started with Season 1 I probably would have given up on TNG. :p

30. The Enterprise is a highly-maneuverable craft, certainly moreso than comparable naval vessels. I'm just wondering how the helm officer can twist and turn just by pressing a glass panel. Seems like it would be a lot more difficult than using a joystick (like Riker in Insurrection lol) or something.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    21-A. Picard should never leave the Enterprise. Ever. Really bad stuff happens when he does.

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Nothing bad happened when he left in "Family." :p

31. From the interviews I've seen on the DVD extras, Brent Spiner is awesome. I already knew that Levar Burton and Patrick Stewart are awesome.

32. Ronald D. Moore without the long hair and beard?!

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/a/ad/Ronald_D._Moore_2002.jpg]

Noooooooo... :_|

33. Remember when Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were really good at their jobs?

34. I always thought that Brannon Braga was a really weird name, like the name of an alien character in one episode.

35. Denise Crosby obviously regretted leaving the show; Michael Dorn thinks it was a wise choice.

36. Isn't it a funny coincidence that Ronald D. Moore wrote an episode featuring a ship named Pegasus and the amoral, slightly-crazy admiral who commanded it? ...I'm probably the only one who thinks that.

37. I've always thought that the season 2 episode "The Royale" is really underrated. To me it has a very interesting premise.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't like The Royale that much- it seemed kinda redundant in concept to do "for real" when they could have done it as a holodeck episode and have it make a ton more sense (especially with the whole "finishing the story" element). It's just like those silly TOS episodes where they find a planet that has magically evolved to look Ancient Rome.

BTW, if anyone's curious, I've been going episode-by-episode through Trek for the past few years in this thread in the Ampitheatre. (The TNG commentary begins in my post on 6/01/08)

It eventually evolved into a sort of stream-of-conciousness commentary from as I watched the episodes, trying to determine what episodes in Trek were essential, and what ones could be skipped.

Presently I'm in the middle of TNG Season 6 and the first half of DS9 Season 1 (I've been going in chronological order with any overlapping seasons).

In a good way. Ladies- i wanna see that haircut make a come-back. Chop-chop.

Worf was added late in the process, which explains his initially poor job status. Roddenberry originally didn't want to use any of the original alien races, but was convicned to include a Klingon. Roddenberry started to change that policy after the new aliens started to bomb (you'll note that after a couple disastrous tries to make the Ferengi seem badass, they suddenly bring out the Klingons and Romulans).

They actually had more than one Chief Engineer- there was the guy with the beard, an indian guy and someone else I think.

The Ambassador-class was supposed to be more prominent but something about the model resulted in it only being used sparringly, and so the Excelsior model shots were used in their place. Alas, the Ambassador-class get sno love, it seems. You see the Enterprise-C and whatever one fights the Borg at the start of DS9 and thats it.

And how can one comment on the uniforms of early TNG without bringing up the fearsome MAN-SKIRT!
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/e/ee/Man_in_a_skant.jpg]

(seen here, apparently worn by the guy from Harold & Kumar- whom I now have to assume is the descendant of New-Sulu ;) )

(seriously, he's gotta be asking "Why am I wearing a skirt?" [face_laugh])

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, the Ambassador appears at least twice more in TNG after "Yesterday's Enterprise." One was called the Excalibur and another was the Zhukov.

The one at Wolf 359 was the Yamaguchi. :p

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Still not enough Ambassador goodness. To make it up to me, they'll have to slap on whatever that heavy phaser the future Enterprise-D had on it's saucer, and Voyager's batmobile armor onto one and let it go to town on something worthy. Then I'll accept their apology- because, obviusly, if you don't give me one thing I want, you have to give me three things I want, to make up for it. ;)

10. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    i like the way you roll dude, check it out, i made one with the armor on it and it's firing its megaphasers and it has a third nacelle on a rollbar between the other nacelles
    [image=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4166/uberprisec.png]

plus here it is firing while cloaked
    [image=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7913/uberprisecloak.png]

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    That's just about the greatest thing I've ever seen.

12. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I always liked to think there was a couple touch pads like on laptops. Some shots of the helm panel showed big squares.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The episode "Booby trap" in Season 3 shows Picard piloting the ship manually using that console- looks a hell of a lot better than the microsoft flightstick rising up from the floor on a cardboard podium that Insurerection had.

=D= [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] =D=

14. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I am seeing in my mind a live action Zap Branigan pulling Sharon Stone's move in Basic Instinct. [face_worried]

I will now have nightmares...thank you.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if Zapp's uniform were at least partly inspired by the TNG skirt. They certainly parodied a lot from TOS and TNG, and I think I may have even spotted a few DS9 and Voyager references before.

38. This "recap" of "Sub Rosa" always gets me.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    39. The woman from "Silicon Avatar" is creepy. I DID IT FOR YOU REMMY (or whatever his name was). And I'd forgotten that the Crystalline Entity had died. :_|

40. [image=http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/Darth_Guy/riker.jpg] I didn't know this was from "A Matter of Perspective." It was when the scientist's wife gave her bull**** testimony. No wonder they reacted that way.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Badar.

Tebok.

Macet.

Frederick la Rouque.

...all good reasons why TNG existed.

18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Additional Nerd Fact: The Admiral was played by Terry O'Quinn, aka John Locke.

[image=http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200303/tng-264-riker-and-admiral-pres/320x240.jpg]

Also...
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/e/ee/Man_in_a_skant.jpg]
    That was always my favorite thing to look for in the first 2 seasons.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Everton: All played by Marc Alai-whatever, I know. I don't think he was especially good, though. All the characters have basically the same personalities (cocky *******, except maybe the weird bearded guy), along with Dukat.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    -mo.

Point is, had he not paid his dues with minor roles on TNG... the wonder that is Dukat might've been handed to a lesser mortal.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    41. Leah Brahms [face_love] Again, poor Geordi, although he got her in Q's (possibly) fabricated future!

42. The TNG characters frequently get reconstructive surgery on their faces in order to disguise themselves as aliens. Even considering the advanced medical technology, one would think that such frequency would have consequences.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Alaimo is great, but I'm still ambivalent about the character.

Years later, and I still can't decide whether or not I hate the episode where Sisko suddenly goes, "Dukat, you're just plain EVIL!" and that's all Dukat is from that point on.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    He did become rather 1-dimensional toward the end, especially with the whole "Undercover Bajoran" thing.

And did anybody else just *hate* Kai Winn? I mean I know you're not supposed to love her character, but I just despised her so much...

And this has nothing to do with TNG, I know. :p

24. DarthNotsonice

DarthNotsonice Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2005
    It was the way she treated the patients as Nurse Ratched wasn't it? o_O

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    43. Instead of the normal LCARS format for the DVD menu, "The Best of Both Worlds" is styled Borg-like. *nerdgasm*