main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I believe he rated "Threashold" the worst Voyager episode He actually gave it a zero and said even the writers decannonized it. Is that even true i wonder. The writers took it out of canon!?

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I've never heard that before, but considering that travelling faster than warp 9.9 is...shall we say hazardous to your health, I doubt that Starfleet will be repeating that experiment anytime soon

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Was Threashold the one where Janeway and Paris turn into fish and then mate? That didn't make any logical sense. Actually it pulled an Insurrection and took a huge steaming crap on logic.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You know, I just watched Insurrection last night and it honestly wasn't as bad as I remembered. I hadn't seen it in like 6 years, but it was quite entertaining.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ya know it's a fun movie, it really is, but it's nowhere near as good as First Contact. It contradicts itself with the rest of the canon in some spots. I just wasn't really a fan of the "less is more" approach. I don't hate it mind you.

6. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/voy-threshold-review-part-1-5906920 part 1

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/voy-threshold-review-part-2-5906937 part 2

my favorite trek reviwer

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh I agree, First Contact, Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are THE best Trek movies. But for a long time I was ranking Insurrection on the same level as TMP or TFF, when it's really not.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd throw Voyage Home in there as well.
    "Double dumbass on you!"

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Insurrection was a huge, steaming pile of franchise-murdering mediocrity and production failure that blew every opportunity afforded it by it's predecessors and contemporaries.

It failed as an entry in the franchise. It failed as a Star Trek film. It failed as a TNG film. It failed as a film.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Insurrection would have been a good episode, but there wasn't enough there to warrant a film. What Insurrection should have been about the Dominion War.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it should have either supported the franchise as a whole via the Dominion War (and possibly had an effect on Voyager as well, maybe via Q) or supported the TNG film franchise by drawing ties to Generations and FC (ala 2-3-4, or even an epilogue approach like 6).

At the very least, they should have been true to the TNG characters and not, more or less, force them into embarrassing scenes because they couldn't be bothered to give them anything to do.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    You mean like Crusher and Troi talking about their boobs?

:p[face_laugh]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Precisely. One of the worst offenders. Crusher, in general, has a "Why am I even here?" role in the film (I think Gates even commented as much on that).

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Season 2 Gag Reel:

We now know what molecules are safe to eat.

Juliet316 and Darth Guy like this.
  15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I saw this one in the theatres and ironically, just before that scene, my date wondered aloud if the planet would make their boobs more firm [face_party]

16. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    They should had made it a DS9 movie featuring the TNG cast. Trick the audience to buy the ticket's with Picard then let them be fascinated by the depth and complexity of DS 9.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I would've loved a DS9 movie. Alas.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Exchange between Shatner and an ISS astronaut.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    There was a National Geographic "The True Story" special on yesterday about Star Trek. Season 5, Episode 1.

Watched a bit - heavy on recreations of meetings with studio bosses. That William Bell from Fringe is on there a lot, maybe he's a big fan.

20. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    There were episodes with huge battle scenes that felt like movies. To be fair.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember we've had some discussions on whether TOS' Trelane was a Q or not. Well I've come across a vid where John DeLancie compares Q to Trelane re: in regards to Q's creation:

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I do like the ide aof linking the two- other than Trelane acting similar to Q himself, despite Trelane being a child and Q being an adult.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night I caught one of the screenings in NYC of Best of Both Worlds. Very fun to see it on the big screen. They edited together as one continuous movie (no TBC or recap though it still had the fade in/outs for the commercial breaks, which is odd considering they already went through the trouble of acquiring the original film assets, surely they could have smoothed those parts over like Stargate did?).

Seeing it like this, with an audience, it's interesting to see what parts come across as corny or invoke a good unintentional chuckle that never did before in normal viewing conditions (Worf's "He IS a Borg" line is one example, as is the Admiral's peculiar "Just an old man's fantasies" line).

Sound was amazing- the music in particular, as well as the main theme during the titles and the SWOOSH! of the ship. Picture quality was good but not great (mostly having to do with projection the BD video source, no doubt), remaining full screen like the BDs.

The extra content was interesting and funny, though i wish they hadn' aied the trailer for the BOBW BD and the BTS doc before the film, as you basically ended up seeing 85% of the movie before you even got to the movie.

Patrick Stewart has several great comments in the doc, and Elizabeth Dennehy still being able to recite one of her Borg stat speech lines verbatim (and played over the actual footage) was also rather memorable. Most of the cast get at least one comment in there (though it stated we were watching the "One Night Only Edition" so perhaps an extended version is on the BD with the other cast). Also the director and Behr, as well as Ron Jones (who had some particularly fascinating incite into the Borg theme music) and Seth MacFarlane (whose mostly there for a few "pro-fan" comments and to segueway into the Ron ones/music segment due to the Family Guy/RJ/BOBW connection).

Afterwards they aired the gag reel (which was hilarious- poor Dorn has the worst line flub...) and a preview for the 4th season (the [review focuses on the "Family"-theme of the season, highlighting episodes connected to it. I hate the narration approach to the BD sets, though- way too cheery and goofy with a "And who can forget the episode..." structure. I get that it's the same guy (I think) who narrated all the TNG movie trailers, but he's using a completely different tone here compared to the dramatic tone that made those trailers so memorable. It just undercuts the impact of the boxset previews unnecessarily.

And, yes, there were a couple folks in TNG uniforms attending. So, fun overall.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012