main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    DS9 is easily my favorite trek, though I may be biased becuase i love the pre-WWI style creation of alliances and the political machinations in the show. It also helped that Dukat is my favorite trek villain.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It also helps that Garak is one of the greatest Trek characters of all time, full stop.

I could watch Odo/Garak or Bashir/Garak all day.

EDIT: One of the other things that is surprising to me these days is just how much one of my very favorite episodes gets referred to positively around the net. The first season episode "Duet" is absolutely one of my favorites in the entire series (I also very much enjoy the first season episode "Captive Pursuit" but mostly for how it sets up many of the personality interplays and characterizations for the remainder of the series, especially Odo). So imagine my surprise when articles like this or even the AV Club's discussion of Babylon 5 references "Duet" positively...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Duet was quite good, especially surprising for a season 1 episode.

And I think I'll have to edit together a Garak compilation one day...

And it will be called "Huzzah!"

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think "Duet" is one of the best episodes in the franchise.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

LOL @ Wesley.

[face_laugh]

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So apparently TNG Season 4 BD came out a couple months ago. Kinda missed that I guess, given how the S3/BOBW release still seems so recent.

Thankfully, going by reviews, CBS Digital kept a closer eye on the new 3rd party company that worked on the non-live action content for this release, so it avoids S2's fate.

[​IMG]

They've also announced the S5 set as well as a stand-alone release of Unification.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, I wish the BD's weren't so expensive. But images like those make it so, so tempting. Maybe I'll just pick up season 3 or 4.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm gonna wait them out. I didn't buy TNG's DVD sets when they first came out at their ridiculous initial prices (what were they they? $120? $150 a set?), and though the BD's are much more reasonably priced, I'm sure they'll come down eventually once the series is complete.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    $120 per set. I only got the S1 TNG DVD after the price had gone down to about $70.

Meanwhile Heroes, which had about the same number of episodes for S1 was around $49 dollars when it was first released.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I saw the TNG Blu Ray sets this weekend at Best Buy for $79 a pop. Amazon (and other sellers) have them for around $59 each.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Amazon has had them for as low as $50. That's still more expensive than pretty much any other single-season Blu-ray set out there, many of which can go on sale for as low as $15-$20.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Perhaps, but then P'mount has to keep milking the $tar Trek cash cow. It all boils down to how badly you want the remastered editions over the dvds already on your shelf.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, at least the added cost here makes sense, given how extensive the restoration process has been for the series. The DVDs were just overpriced by almost any standard.

True, but there was a 5-6 year gap between TNG S1's release and Heroes S1 where DVD boxsets really exploded and started to come down in price. When TNG S1 hit, they were definitely priced as a premium product, not a mainstream one (you still had some shows doing disc-by-disc releases around that earlier timeframe, for example).

However, Paramount definitely put TNG at the upper end (or beyond) of that premium range.

14. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Hopefully this is okay to post because I can say that there wasn't a discussion thread for Star Trek just various thread of it that really wasn't discussion threads about it in general. And I know it may be weird to post this kind of thread into a Star Wars forum but I am not one of those people that feel the need to choose because both in there own way are great sci-fi franchises. So anyways back to the point of this thread:

Space the Final Frontier
    These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
    Its 5 year mission
    To explore strange new worlds
    To seek out new life and new civilizations
    To boldly go where no man has gone before

And this is the thread where you can talk about Star Trek from the TOS era to the more current J.J. Abrams era.

To start off easy with this thread who is your fav. Captain and whats your fav. era of Star Trek?

15. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Captain Picard and my favourite series would be The Next Generation. He was everything basically, he was a social worker, a diplomat, a warrior and a commander. But there are too many times Picard monologues at the end of the episode to save the day. LOL.

I enjoy Kirk though as well and TOS as well as their movies. Im a 90s kid so TOS was kind of dated by then and it wasnt as "cool" looking to everyone but looking back now at TOS I see it differently.

Janeway I couldn't stand, her voice just turned me off. Sisko wasnt bad when he got the goatee but again, Deep Sace Nine never excited me enough, it was too slow for me and I didnt enjoy the Prohets and all that included.

Kran Starborn likes this.
  16. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Same here that I am a Picard fan I mean besides what kind of Captain he is it makes him so cool that he was played by Patrick Stewart which I can't picture anyone else as Captain Picard. Makes me wonder who else was up for the role of Picard before Patrick Stewart was cast now that I think about it I really wanna know. I am also a 90s kid and into TNG more so then TOS even though I do appreciate it for what it is and still love it in its own way. Specially since I love Leonard Nimoy and Spock.

On a side note I enjoy the Abrams era of Star Trek.

17. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I read that Gene Roddenberry didnt want Stewart for Picard because he was bald. But that changed (rightly so) and we got amazing performances.

I also like the Abrams Trek. It was a shot in the arm that Trek needed badly. You can say its hollow and whatnot but in the end theyre decent movies, infinitely better than Insurrection and Nemesis.

Plus Quinto as Spock is just damn near perfect.

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    like some kind of time machine...

19. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Wasn't Patrick Stewart a seasoned actor by the time he became Picard?

And whats interesting about the Abram era Trek is this is something that Gene Rodenberry wanted he even said so in a interview that I saw during a Star Trek documentary that was hosted by Gene Rodenberry Jr. He showed the video to J.J. Abrams who was blown away that it was almost like he was giving consent on Star Trek being remade with new actors and new film technology and etc.

20. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I just hope they continue with Abrams vision of the Enterprise and the visuals of everything to promote continuity within the films. Especially if hes not doing Star Trek 3 now that hes with Star Wars.

21. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Is it already established that there will be a Star Trek 3? And with them remaking Star Trek it makes me wonder if they will also do it for the TNG era as well at least in the film versions. I know even the thought of that fans would be against it like they were with remaking the TOS era but its not remaking it its redoing it since its a new and different timeline where anything can happen.

22. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Well I assume there will be a Star Trek 3 but maybe not.

23. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    It may not be for a while actually I mean heck it took 4 years to get this sequel since the first Abrams Trek film came out in 2009.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Pretty sure there will be a New Trek 3. I think its already in the works. But after that, nothing is known, since JJ is leaving the Trekverse.

25. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Do you think that Star Trek should return to TV? And if they do should they follow the films and do a Trek series that follows the reboot of the films and this new story line in the TOS era? Or should they do a new era with a new captain and crew we haven't yet seen?