main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or 8 years to spread out the pain. ;)

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Nemesis battle could have been great, but there were too many things that didn't add up. Enterprise is running for home suspecting pursuit, so why traverse a nebula? Those things slow you down when you're in a hurry. I was hoping Picard was going to be smart and scan for the wake of the cloaked ship as it moved thru the gas clouds, but not one of these super science minded officers ever thought to do that. And then there's the Reman ship: impenetrable shields, unprecedented firepower, perfect cloak, planet wrecking superweapon, and faster than Enterprise. Totally ridiculous munchkin ship. Oh, and it was built in secret by slaves working in a mine. Riiiiight!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I hate the overpowered, nonsensical supership trope in the past three Trek films. And IIRC, Nemesis was going to have multiple Starfleet ships in the fight, but the effects budget didn't cover it so they had to contrive some reason the ships weren't there.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Far too many plot holes surrounding Shinzon and the Scimitar that could have used at least a little explaining, but despite that Nemesis is still a good film.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair- Nemesis was really the first film to deal with a super ship (unless you count the Borg Cube, which is kind of a whole different type of thing), so it's hard to hold it accountable for the JJ films copying. That'd be like holding TWOK accountable for Nemesis copying it. ;)

The Scimitar was overpowered for a secretly built ship- but that's hardly something difficult to overlook as far as things in Trek go. There have been far crazier pieces of technology introduced over the years- both in scale and capability.

The nebula gas suggestion is an interesting one- I hadn't thought of that. I'm wondering if they were actually inside a stretch of the Nebula where that would have been a factor, or if that was just the backdrop?

Now, if they had combined the ram scoop idea from Insurrection (another one of it's extremely rare and far between gems), to create such a trail- that would have been a treat.

****. I want to see that happen now...

Heck, throw in a Data one-liner "choke on this" or something.. hehe.

Of course, one thing that Nemesis did (I think) was basically ignore the E's quantum torpedoes (though, technically, that is Insurrection's fault for starting that).

It is a shame they couldn't budget for the multi-ship battle (would rather have had that than those new half-style Warbirds- at least give us one of the regular TNG style Warbirds!), especially given what DS9 had pulled off on a TV budget several years earlier (which, granted, wasn't exactly of ILM quality, but still).

I wonder what kind of ships were planned for that original battle. I know it would have been far too fan-servicey for some people's taste, but they could have theoretically (and plausibly) had the Enterprise-E, Voyager, a Defiant-class and a random Galaxy-class all in the same scene/battle.

In most circumstances I'd have said that would have been too much... (heck, maybe, in any circumstance) but for what was effectively the end of Star Trek as we know it, it would have been an extremely appropriate visual for a send-off battle and excusable.

Regardless, I'd still love a 2' long replica of the Ent-E and Scimitar crashed together. Heck of a sight.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. I've heard that story too about other parts of Nemesis. According to Brent Spiner, Picard and Data stealing a fighter and shooting their way out of the Scimitar was originally going to be two minute set piece action sequence..

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyone know a link to the full screenplay to Nemesis? I'd be curious to at least read about the supposed 50 min of deleted material (I think only 17 min was included on the DVD?) and/or these sequences that hit scaled back due to budget.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had the weirdest dream that I was watching Star Trek: TMP last night. I haven't seen that film in almost 15 years, so I suppose I should re-watch it at some point.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

WORF: Romulan ale should be illegal.

GEORDI: It is, old chum.

WORF: Then it should be more illegal.

[face_laugh]=D=

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The alcohol content, or the Romulan equivalent must be pretty potent to make everyone feel like they've been on a bender. I can imagine one of the early Starfleet ships being severely damaged because of a Romulan Ale hangover.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Why not just watch this guy's Youtube video instead? He retells TMP with action figures and other toys using the audio from the old read-along book and record/cassette that was made back in the day. He also did this for TWOK and TSFS (Which I guess were the only Trek films to get this treatment), and the SW films as well. Really neat and LOL.

13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    God, I'm glad that was cut. Since when does Geordi say "old chum"? Is that script for real? If so, the writer is even more of an idiot than the finished film made me think.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "I am not a merry old chum man!"

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  15. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I seriously question whether or not writer John Logan watched TNG.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think he confused "Geordi" with "Geordie" and assumed the character was an English stereotype. You know, like how in TOS a Scotsman is named "Scotty."

Mr. K likes this.
  17. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Oh that Nexus....what a pest. Made me enjoy Christmas, meet Captain Kirk, and everything.

Uh..... rly?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  18. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Good one, Number One. Question is, can she feel his loins?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think its safe to assume that script descriptions for genre films are often subject to change, pending concept artists and such being brought on board.

That said, if the Scimitar had shared the look of a Warbird, it's construction would seem more plausible (in fact, if it had looked like the new "half Warbirds", it would have matched the "two daggers" description of the collision in the script.

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Would Nemesis have done better if it came out in the summer?

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A major problem was that it came out within a week of The Two Towers, so it probably would have done better with another release date. However, its biggest problem was that it sucked.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Worf's response is hilarious, having said that, I'm fine with them cutting the Klingon penis joke. :p

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nemesis would have done much better at the box office with a different release date.

As Darth Guy pointed out, it came out less than a week before TTT- anyone with a brain could have told you that genre viewers were going to choose the follow up installment to a critically acclaimed, financially massive and more mainstream film over an average-at-best Trek movie that was following up an audience-goodwill-evaporating franchise low.

Yet Paramount basically suicided the film against TTT.

It could have opened a week or even two weeks prior and performed much better- it would have been in the wake of Die Another Day and Harry Potter but it wouldn't have been opening directly against them.

But better yet? Skip the holiday glut, the Jan dumping zone and the Daredevil-dominated Feb and just delay the film into March which had an extremely poor lineup of films that year. Nemesis couldn't take on Potter, Bond or Hobbits but it sure as hell could take on The Core.

Would that have made Nemesis a huge hit? Probably not, but it would have more than likely equalled or surpassed Insurrection's take and avoided the honor of being one of the most underperforming studio releases ever.

At the very least, there would have been a better chance of the franchise continuing without a reboot (though not with the TNG cast together).

24. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    So Emissary's stardate places it between the Chain of Command two parter and Ship in a Bottle. Interesting! Wonder if Picard had deja vu during the visit to DS9 because of his recent imprisonment by a Cardassian.

It'll be a good while before I get to it, but I have read that the frame story in ENT's finale, "These are the Voyages..." is set during the events of "The Pegasus" in TNG. Better to watch TATV on it's own, or in conjunction with "The Pegasus"? Does it really matter?

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If I remember, Bringing Down the House was a pretty huge hit that month.