main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Doesn't seem like it.

It doesn't quite matter, but it helps to have a general idea of "The Pegasus" before watching "These Are The Voyages...". The problem is there's a bit of a disconnect because you can clearly see that Riker and Troi are older than they were in the original episode. Not to mention there doesn't seem to be much time for Riker to spend in the holodeck.

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Don't even watch TATV. End the series with the previous episode. Its better that way.

Juliet316, dp4m and Sarge like this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... or Nemesis bombed because it sucked hard core and was a poor retread of trying to get The Wrath of Khan-lite in TNG.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I wouldn't say it sucked hardcore. It has flaws to be sure, but there's some good stuff about it.

5. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    One of the issues that bugged me about Nemesis re Shinzon:

He looks like he has to be in the late 20s/early 30s at most. If so, that would place him being cloned around the late 2340s/early 2350s - at least a decade before the Romulans reestablished contact with the UFP in "The Neutral Zone." (In fact, Michael Jan Friedman's post-NEM novel "Death in Winter" establishes that the cells from Picard used to create Shinzon were harvested at Beverly's wedding to Jack Crusher in 2348.) What I find hard to believe is the implication this gives that Romulan operatives were working within the Federation during the 53 year silence after the Tomed Incident - WITHOUT anyone in the Federation being aware of it.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Well, throughout TNG some writers seemed to act like the Tomed incident never happened or it was retconned somehow (Khitomer massacre and that little incident with the Enterprise-C, anyone?), so it's not that unusual.

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Well, the Federation didn't arrive on the scene at Khitomer until after it was over, IIRC. Narendra III ... yeah, a little more problematic.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Whether or not it would have bombed regardless is up for debate, but yeah virtually putting it up against TTT didn't help (and I remember a lot of teeth gnashing and cursing at Paraborg at that time when the release date was announced and everybody realized that Paraborg pretty much killed the movie franchise by picking that date).

9. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013

Wasn't Shinzon "designed" to age quickly though, so that he could catch up to Picard's age and replace him according to the original Romulan plan? And then Shinzon explains once he was dumped in the mines (where he was shown as a boy), that he "didn't see the sun or the stars again for nearly ten years." I think though he may look to be late 20's/early 30's, the actual time that may have passed since he was created may have only been 13 or 14 years at most. It's just my guess though. I agree that the Federation would have known somehow about Romulan operatives. If nothing else, Section 31 would have been all over it.

10. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    True, but my thinking for Shinzon being cloned late 2340s/early 2350s comes from this:

Though it's never explicitly stated how old Picard is throughout the series or the films, most sources outside the show/films where his age IS brought up pegs his birth year as 2305, which makes him 59 when TNG opens in 2364 and 74 in Nemesis 15 years later.

Crusher tells Picard, "He (Shinzon) was engineered to skip 30 years of his life." From the other dialogue running through Nemesis, it sounds like Shinzon was supposed to have normal human growth for some years and then the aging sequence was supposed to trigger, but didn't.

Shinzon likely would have been released from the mines when the Romulans entered the Dominion War in 2374, since he served in that conflict. As to how old he was when he entered the mines - in the flashback scenes he looks like he could be anywhere from 9 to 12 years old.

Just my guess, though. Shinzon could have had accelerated aging from the start, but somehow I don't think so - I think he was supposed to grow normally for a period of years and then the aging trigger would kick in.

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Don't think too much about it because the writer clearly did not.

12. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Not to mention the Scimitar has a ton of disrupters banks, photon torpedo bays, able to fire while cloaked, multiple shield generators, oh, and a biogenic weapon. Basically the most powerful ship ever built. Good luck Enterprise.

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    What about this:

[​IMG]

14. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013
    Good points SW, I had forgotten that Shinzon fought in the Dominion War.

On the Scimitar, I've always wondered what the Romulans who conspired with Shinzon were thinking. I mean, what else did they think he was going to do with a biogenic weapon that could wipe out the population of a whole planet? If he was willing to use it on Earth, he would certainly be willing to use it on Romulus as well, especially considering how much he hated the Romulans. Yet it isn't until Donatra says something that they stop to think, "oh yeah we better do something to stop this guy...but darn it if only we hadn't helped him seize power and build the most incredibly remarkably powerful ship ever!"

Sarge likes this.
  15. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Lol thats just silly JJ. Recycling tropes used in previous Treks.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Aug 28, 2013

Not to mention that it had the advantage of coming from 129 years in the future, which made it look better than it's opponents from the past.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention, if one takes Countdown into account, it also had retrofitted Borg tech as well, which would technically put it ahead if the Scimitar as far as tech level goes.

Anyways, as far as Romulan agents go, I don't see how it's implausible that the Federation wouldn't know about them when it's so easy for Romulans to pass as Vulcans (recall the ambassador incident) and cosmetic surgery is so easily applied with 24th century tech.

This. People can forgive a film for being unoriginal if it's even halfway entertaining to the point of making a film's performance not a total bomb- but not in the face of a far superior alternative and direct genre competitor.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Other than the wedding and Picard totally carrying through on his previously hinted "no chicken policy" -- name one?

19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Jerry Goldsmith.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also the Picard/Shinzon material, while, as I mentioned above, not 100% where it needed to be, in pairing with the "different lives" theme (itself coming up a little shy due to the no-Lore-but-B4 issue) was effectively decent at the very least, if not slightly moreso. The action in general (which never looked unfinished). And, even if it didn't do wonders with some characters, it was never an insulting portrayal of them (boobs, zits).

21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Ron Perlman.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Yep, that's pretty much accurate with my feelings, though the boobs and zits of "Insurrection" aren't that big an issue. Especially with the former and how often Data had a habit of saying inappropriate things while trying to be more human.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought the final showdown between Picard and Shinzon was much too anti-climactic.

Shinzon: Picard, I'm going to wave my knife at you a bunch of-Hey what are you doing with that pole? Why are you slowly walking up to me wi-
    (Gets impaled)
    Picard: Oops

24. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One of the fundamental laws of the universe is that it's utterly impossible for something with a Jerry Goldsmith score to be a total loss. It may not be perfect, but it cannot be useless.

darth-sinister likes this.
  25. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes the music starting when the Enterprise enters the nebula to the end of the movie was damn near perfect. The escape from the Scimitar was great as ell, aw who am I kidding, the entire soundtrack was awesome.