Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, and comments regarding Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    QFT! In the Sci-Fi/Fantasy Thread, we made a list of TNG Hotties :-B
  2. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    The Q episodes were the best. I mean thats why they are out their to explore and they run into beings that can kind of do anything. Q even says that the reason why he is so interested in the humans is because they are rapidly evolving towards becoming like the Q.
  3. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    He said that? I didn't think we know exactly why Q's so interested in humanity.

44. Picard must have major issues. Getting assimilated by the Borg and tortured by the Cardassians can't good for someone's psyche. I don't think he went crazy enough in First Contact. Plus, experiencing decades of a life that never really existed in "The Inner Light" must have really ****ed with his mind.
  4. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_Continuum

Maybe not directly but in a round about way.
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I suppose. :p

45. Whenever someone leaves their post on the bridge, another officer appears out of nowhere to relieve him. It doesn't matter if its unexpected or not, someone always comes out of a door and sits at Ops or stands at Tactical. Those yellowshirts must be psychics who have nothing to do.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, I can't see how someone who went through The Inner Light would be fit to Captain again for at least several years of recovery to refamiliarize himself with the goings on of stuff he last dealt with, from his perspective, several decades prior.

In Season 1, Hide and Q, when Q is offering to bring Riker into the Q Continuum, he expresses something along those lines. Though, of course, it's hard to tell if he was being truthful or if it was just part of his greater trickery.
  7. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    While I love all of Q's TNG appearances, (Tapestry being my favorite), I thought the best episode that dealt with not only the Q we know, but the Continuum as a whole, as "Death Wish" in the second season of Voyager.

The Q Continuum trilogy of books was really good, as well.
  8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Something I've always wanted to see expanded on is the TOS episode "The Changeling" where Uhura's mind is completely destroyed by Nomad, and they have to re-teach her everything she knows. I mean, that HAS to mess with one.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Nah, because they got her back up to College-level education in a few hours.

Man, that subplot was so stupid- ruins what was otherwise a pretty good episode and alternative to TMP.
  10. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    46. The episode "Cause and Effect": the ONE time Data really screws up and he gets to fix it. I'll bet Riker acted quite smug after that. Did a little dance, banged a random hot ensign to celebrate.
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Ha! yeah. I was dissapointed they didn't make it a two parter with the second episode dealing with Captain Frasier, though.
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I was thinking that if the Bozeman had been in a loop for 70+ years, they must be really stupid not to have noticed what the Enterprise crew figured out in 17 days. I think the explanation is that the Bozeman was hurled forward in time, so it was only there for 17 days, but that's never explicitly stated in the episode.
  13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought there was a book that dealt with Captain Fraiser's assimilation back into Starfleet.... I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: Got it:

14. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I prefer to think the Enterprise crew is just that much tighter than the crew of the Bozeman. :cool:
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    47. "Eye of the Beholder" is the only Trek episode I recall which shows the inside of a nacelle. That's always struck me as odd, 'cause apparently the control room is between the red thingy and the blue thingy, but I thought the red thingy and the blue thingy had to be connected to each other for one technobabblic reason or another.

48. Whenever there's a coolant leak, Geordi has to announce it multiple times (see: "Yesterday's Enterprise" and Generations).

49. He also has to dramatically roll under the containment door at the last moment. Levar wanted some stunts to do.

50. Speaking of Generations, I always thought the Enterprise-D went out like a punk. As a matter of fact, so did the original Enterprise (self-destructed when Klingons boarded). The NX-01 and A were decommissioned, as was the B (presumably). The only Enterprise that went down with a good fight was the C, and we didn't even "C" that!

51. For any ship to be destroyed, the warp core has to explode. I know that for budgetary reasons the effects guys couldn't cope with showing the ship getting torn apart by weapons fire (at least until Voyager, and that ship survived a lot in "Year of Hell"). You'd think, however, that warp technology should be a little safer and the damned thing shouldn't explode at the drop of a hat.

52. The core ejection systems are never online. NEVER. ****ing useless. I hope the designer got executed by firing squad. (I know Voyager ejected its core at least once, but that's not TNG.)

53. Apparently the Borg were originally supposed to be insectoid, and the parasites in "Conspiracy" were supposed to be the advance force, which is why that particular storyline was never followed up on. I'm glad budgetary concerns made them go with cyborgs. They wouldn't be "space zombies" if they were bugs.

54. Troi and Riker have the most bizarre relationship ever. They're clearly into each other; they even kiss on occasion and sex seems to be implied a couple times (the memory of Deanna's that the telepath perverted in "Violations"). Yet they never get together in the course of seven years because... I don't know why. The series never really gives a clear explanation. Riker initially left her in order to focus on his career and it hurt her a lot. But she was over it and he obviously either regretted his choice or thought that he could handle both a career and a relationship. The biggest excuse is that they "work together," but we frequently see TNG cast members fraternize with fellow officers (especially Riker the horndog) and each other with no mention of Starfleet regulations or conflict of interest or something. Poor Capt. Picard is the only one who seems to think that it's universally wrong/unethical/etc. to get together with anyone he can order around.

55. What do they do for fun in their free time? Playing around on the holodeck is by all indications a privilege reserved for rare occasions. Most of the time they just sit around in Ten Forward (and Picard sits around reading books). Is there no mass media? What's wrong with that in Roddenberry's utopia? EDIT: Oh, and they play moneyless poker.

56. Data is a celebrity from the beginning because of his nature. Picard is a celebrity at the least since "Best of Both Worlds," especially since most people are apparently unaware of the role he played in those events. Riker must be famous as well, because the Borg cube was destroyed with the Enterprise under his command. As the only Klingon in Starfleet, Worf must be well-known too. And the rest of the senior staff could enjoy a bit of fame. Plus it's the freakin' Federation flagship. Yet on many, many occasions Federation citizens and Starfleet personnel appear unaware of the Enterprise and its famous command crew. Hell, there are a few times when the ship's crew don't seem to recognize their own commanding officers. Sometimes they're recognized (usually by enemies) when it's convenient to the plot, but that's not often.

57. What's a French guy doing with an English accent?

58. Wha
  16. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    [face_beatup]
  17. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    C'mon, that's the best pun ever.
  18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Count me as one who thinks the demise of the original Enterprise was perfectly badass. If she were a sentient being, that's the way she'd WANT to go down: taking out the bad guys while not losing a single member of her crew.
  19. Jedi Merkurian Episode VII Thread-Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I'll take it one better: With the exception of the NX-01 and the E, every Enterprise has gotten kerbstomped by a single Klingon Bird of Prey. Every. Single. One. I bet it was a Bird of Prey that got the "killshot" on the C :p
  20. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    That's what relief officers do. As I recall they'd often they'd get up from the science stations (like Worf used to do before he got a promotion). I also figure there was a break room nearby.

Does anyone else think it's kind of sad that the Enterprise-D doesn't have a designated Science Officer? Data is referred to as the Science Officer at one point but a combo Operations Officer and Science Officer is kinda lame. The original Enterprise had a Science Officer, and it had a fraction of the crew, size, lab space, and sensor capabilities.
  21. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    But it's always instant, and they often come out of the turbolift(s) without being called. :p
  22. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    60. Riker: [to Picard] Have I mentioned how imaginative the Risian women are, sir?
    Troi: Too often, Commander.

61. Joval: The Horga'hn is the Risian symbol of sexuality. To own one is to call forth its powers. To display it is to announce you are seeking jamaharon.
    Picard: [exasperated] Riker!
    Joval: Do you seek jamaharon?
    Picard: I don't even know what it means. The Horga'hn is for a friend.
    Joval: I see. Someone close to you?
    Picard: That's right.
    Joval: Someone you love?
    Picard: I wouldn't go that far.

62. Data: [voice-over] My friend Chief O'Brien often says that above all else he wants to make Keiko happy. Since canceling the wedding will make her happy, I must conclude the Chief will be pleased at her decision.
    Data: I have good news.
    O'Brien: Oh?
    Data: Keiko has made a decision designed to increase her happiness: she has canceled the wedding.
    O'Brien: She what? Canceled the wedding? Today? Without even a word? Of all the childish, selfish, irresponsible things to do...!
    [storms out, very upset]
    Geordi: Next time maybe I should deliver the good news.
    Data: [voice-over] Cmdr. Maddox. It would appear that my program designed to predict emotional responses needs...adjustment.

63. Q: I have no powers - Q the ordinary.
    Picard: Q the liar; Q the misanthrope!
    Q: Q the miserable, Q the desperate! What must I do to convince you?
    Worf: Die.
    Q: Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?

64. Lwaxana Troi: Can you imagine that dreadful little creature talking to me like that? Doesn't he realize that I am the daughter of the Fifth House of Betazed? Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx...?
    Deanna Troi: The Sacred Chalice of Rixx is an old clay pot with mold growing inside it.

65. Humanoid Progenitor: You're wondering who we are; why we have done this; how it has come that I stand before you - the image of a being from so long ago. Life evolved in my planet before all others in this part of the galaxy. We left our world, explored the stars and found none like ourselves. Our civilization thrived for ages. But what is the life of one race, compared to the vast stretches of cosmic time? We knew that one day we will be gone, and nothing of us would survive. So we left you. Our scientists seeded the primordial oceans of many worlds, where life was in its infancy. The seed codes directed your evolution toward a physical form resembling ours: this body you see before you, which is of course shaped as yours is shaped. For you *are* the end result. The seed codes also contained this message, which was scattered in fragments on many different worlds. It was our hope that you would have to come together in fellowship and companionship to hear this message. And if you can see and hear me, our hope has been fulfilled. You are a monument, not to our greatness, but to our existence. That was our wish, that you too would know life and will keep alive our memory. There is something of us in each of you, and so, something of you in each other. Remember us.
    Klingon Captain: That's all? If she were not dead, I would kill her.

66. Ensign Lavelle: My grandfather was Canadian, you know?
    Riker: Really?
    Lavelle: Aren't you one too?
    Riker: [confused] A grandfather?
    Lavelle: [laughs nervously] No, Canadian, sir, Canadian.
    Riker: No, I grew up in Alaska.
    Lavelle: Oh - well... They both get a lot of snow.

67. No, I did not transcribe these myself. That would be insane. I only remembered which episodes contained the quotes. Much better.

68. Apparently the original model of the Enterprise-D is incorrect, as Ten Forward doesn't exist on the saucer. I wish this hadn't been pointed out by the effects people in a featurette (I think). Because it's really easy to see, every time they show stock footage of the old model (which is a lot) I'm like "AAARRGH where's Ten Forward?!"

69. Picard orders the helm t
  23. zacparis VIP

star 7
    To be fair, the original Enterprise took a good beating from the Reliant and the BOP before Kirk was forced to surrender it. It was a more than fitting end.
  24. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    IIRC - that's pretty much what transporters do. However, to copy something with enough fidelity that it remains living takes a lot information (to get all the quantum states right). Transporter buffers kind of do that, but the memory is volatile. A replicator can copy something with much less accuracy and have it be useful.

All this is kind of plastic of course as with transporter technology there are about a dozen was to get around the above limitations.
  25. zacparis VIP

star 7
    Didn't they replicate Worf's spine?